Washer and dryer sets - Anyone have any opinions on Kenmore, Samsung, LG?

schoolboy

Just a warning about Sears, they wont be around much longer, I just found out yesterday, my local store is being torn down in Jan. no notice nothing, just a news article about the store being tore down there wasnt even announcement made that the store was being closed at all. so we found out that the hard way.

• Like 2

May be honing in on Samsung front loader. Anyone have experiance with them?

Only thing I know about them are they were having the same issues as the phones. Google it I'm sure the news articles will pop up. I like them but I'm also cautious of the brand now. I'm a big fan of Kenmore and LG appliances though. Don't know if Kenmore is still as durable as they were 30-40 years ago but I still like them.

I have a top loader from Samsung that is subject to the recall.  I live in the Atlanta metro area and I see in the news that there is one tech for all of metro Atlanta so expecting it to take a few months after I get the packet in the mail.  After the phone issue and now this, I think Samsung is on my list to avoid for me personally.  I did have a Kenmore washer and dryer set from 2001 and the washer just died about 2 years ago when I got the Samsung top load and the dryer is still going strong.  I don't expect that this washer will last as long.

I have whirlpool set, front loader, electric dryer. Works great. I looked high and low at all the usual stores. I ended up at a local Mom and Pop appliance store (they've been around 60 years) free delivery, free install and free disposal of the old set. They were much cheaper than the big box stores.

FYI I agree with the Sears comment. Speculation is they will all be gone before summer.

We bought a Kenmore front loader a few years ago - not what you're after - but I wanted to say I was SO DISAPPOINTED in the product.  First they didn't deliver when they were supposed to.  Then, after having it for less than two months the mother board on the control panel went out.  Customer service to get that fixed was a freaking nightmare - even though we were well within the warranty period and had also purchased the extended warranty.

Finally got the computer issue fixed by having the entire washer replaced - but it took calling the corporate headquarters to make that happen. 

I hated the thing anyway - once started you couldn't pause it... it had to be turned all the way off and then on again.  The load function choices were limited and difficult to change too - for example you couldn't just get it to rinse and spin.

When we moved we got rid of those stupid things and bought a standard top-loader from Lowes - or maybe it was Home Depot.  I think its a GE or LG... I'd have to check.  Anyway, nothing fancy.  Basic wash cycles, no special bins or steam or any of that.  Manual controls rather than computer/electric things.  I had gone to Sears just to price items and they were easily $200 more for their version of a basic washer.  No thanks.

I'm looking at them myself as well. I like the front load (wife's request) Kenmore on the front page. Not a bad deal plus $50 bonus, I believe on each of them,not 100% sure... That and the regular pouts should almost pay for the 2.2 cf microwave she wants. Sears may be closing some stores, but by no means is going out of business as someone e suggested.

Looks like Sears has the best selection. Anyone have any opinions on Kenmore? Looking for top load.

Kenmore is solid, they are made by Whirlpool

As for Sears, as with any store, here today gone tomorrow, they have been around for a long time, they may be on their deathbed but have a long ways to go before they fold up totally.

I work in the appliance repair field, Kenmore laundry products are fine if you get the ones built by Whirlpool, you can tell these by the beginning of the model number, they all start with 110.xxxxx . As far as the LG and Samsung models, these are pure junk and hype, both of these are really bad about discontinuing parts for 2-3 year old machines. I work on all of them and the only brand to get is something in the Whirlpool family, plus its the only American owned major builder that's left. ALL front load machines have problems with the smell/mold issue, be sure to get some of the cleaning tablets for this, also all front loaders have tub bearing issues. My opinion would be to  get a basic top load. Appliances are going thru overhaul lately, with the government dictating how much water and power it has to use, now we have soooo many sensors, thermistors etc to monitor all this.

Mike  

We have the Kenmore elite. Love them! This is our second set of the elites. My sister has my first set and they are still working. We got them when front load first got popular. Never had problems with any of them. I think I would stay away from Samsung.(My opinion) We have their refrigerator and microwave. Nothing but problems with both. I will never buy Samsung products again.

Sent from my LGLS990 using GottaDeal mobile app

I have the most basic washer and dryer and I wouldn't do it any other way.  I've had a Frigidaire washer for 18 years now and still going strong with only 2 small repairs total.  I've had to replace the matching Frigidaire dryer and replaced with a Kenmore.  It's about 7 years old and no issues.  On the flip side, my aunt bought a snazzy new set of front loader Kenmore washer/dryer and had to replace the washer before a year was up.  She had nothing but problems with it.  My parents have a mid-level Kenmore washer/dryer set (Oasis I think) and love them and have had them for years with no issues.  They are Kenmore loyalists. 

It's all a matter of opinion but when it comes to appliances, I stick to the basic with maybe a few amenities.  They do the job just as well with less headache. 

Considering that all Kenmore washer and dryers are LG at the moment....just get a LG set if you want Kenmore. Sears seems desperate for business. They keep giving me all these points to get back in the store. I just bought appliances for my house. After points, I got a Kenmore dishwasher for 75% off after I applied my points. Then, just from buying the dishwasher, I magically accumulated enough points to buy a shed for $50. I can see why they cannot get out of the red now.

I'm torn between the 5.2 Kenmore elite, 41072 and the Samsung 5.0 WF50K7500AW. Kenmore isn't even listed in consumer reports, but LG has some of the top washers, which apparently makes Kenmore. Samsung is highly rated as well. Kenmore is a bit more, at $849/unit, and the Samsung is $799

One thing to watch with Samsung is talk to people who have them. We almost bought Samsung but ended up with Maytag after a few people told us about having issues with the washers being really hard on clothes and clothes coming out torn or with small holes in them. Not sure if it is still an issue or not but it stopped us.