Opinions on these 3 cameras?

Ariana28

My teenage daughter wants a camera for Christmas and I saw 2 at Target and 1 at Wal-Mart ( it looks like the Cannon is the same at both).  Anyone who knows cameras have an opinion on which one to get and why?

Canon T6DSLR Bundle for $449.99

Nikon D3400 Bundle for $499.99

Thanks!

Edited by Ariana28

Canon Vs Nikon is going to be like Republican Vs Democrat.
You're going to get die hard answers for either one.

Personally, I've always had Canon and never had a problem with them, but I've never owned a Nikon so I can't give a personal opinion on them.

Between the Canon T6 and the Nikon D3400 though, I would jump on the Nikon in a heartbeat.

It has better resolution, faster shooting, better battery life, higher ISO, and the Canon has Wi-Fi, but the Nikon has Bluetooth (which should offer better connectivity)

See here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/t6/vs/nikon/d3400/

Once you get the images you want to post off the camera you can post them anywhere you want. I'm not sure if the camera's will post directly to sources from them but the images would most likely be HUGE in size based on the resolution they are taken/stored in on the camera itself.

As for Canon vs Nikon as stated you will get great and bad on both sides it's a fight. I bought Nikon for my wife a couple years back and she LOVES it. Takes awesome pictures. I have heard that what you really need to do is walk into a store and pick up the camera's that you are looking at and see which one feels the best in your hands. The features and performance are so close that it's going to come down to what feels right to you.

• Like 1

You're getting all the right input here.

1. Pick the one that feels the best. in your (her) hand. This will hopefully be THE camera for the next 5-10 years.
  2. You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon in DSLRs. Ever. (well, except a few major defects in some models when they first got released)
  3. You'll choose one and get used to each of the little quirks they each have, and fall in love with that one.
  4. You're going to get awesome pictures with both those cameras (compared to what she's used to)
  5. Bluetooth vs. Wi-FI....not going to be a deal breaker there; both will allow you to access the pictures via app on your phone and you'll post them with your phone's data connection
  6. Specifically between those 2 camera's I'd pick the Nikon starting out. I have had my Nikon D5000 for 7 years and have taken over 60,000 pictures (deleted many of those because I usually take 2-3 of everything, but still taken so many pictures). About 6 months ago, one of the lenses is starting to give me trouble, but DW knocked it off the counter and it dropped on the floor...so you can't blame the camera too much. I'm looking to step up to the D750 in the near future.

Go with what she likes!! She will love it.

One more question.  My daughter has an iphone 7 that she uses now to take pictures.  All she has specifically asked for is a camera that can take better pics than her phone.  She likes taking headshot/modeling photos and nature photos.  Not really into action shots.  Are these SLR cameras the type you would go for?  Or would a digital camera work for her?  What about mirrorless?  I really know nothing about this stuff and the research seems to be endless. 

An iPhone 7 will take beautiful photos also, as will a DSLR. However, she needs to learn how to use the camera to take advantage of all the photos to take the headshot/model photos and the nature photos, along with learning lessons about lighting.  How serious is she about the quality of the photo? Will she want to do photo editing also?

There are some nice mirrorless cameras out there and you might want to read up on why a mirrorless camera: 

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3871263180/primer-why-would-i-buy-a-mirrorless-camera

My bias is towards Canon, as a Canon person, but Fuji cameras also take lovely pictures.

• Like 1

I am siding with freesia on this. Having an Iphone makes the learning curve that much easier, and since you can get a contract phone with a giftcard, it makes the decision that much easier. I am a big fan of the EOS Rebel line (T5) and until the budding photographer is old enough, more complicated cameras can wait.

She already has the iphone 7 and has requested a better camera.  That is why we are now researching options for what would take a better photo for her. Also she already has photo editing software if that makes a difference. 

Edited by Ariana28

I wish I could tell you yes it will definitely be better but the problem is she will need to become accustomed to using whichever one you decide to go with. In the beginning I would say the quality of the picture as a whole will be sharper due to higher MP ratings and just all around better sensors since they aren't limited as much in space. Over time and proper usage of the camera the pictures will become more and more noticeable. It might not be bad to get her one of the Groupon's for photography that will show her how to get the most out of it.

The Nikon is a great camera. A bit of advise I got a few years ago when I got my first DSLR is to skip the kit lens, but with the deal on this bundle, you might as well get it.  Image quality has a lot to do with the quality of the lens you use. She will probably want to invest in better lenses at some point especially if she is shooting models and headshots. She will also want to learn lighting and editing. I've been at it for 2 1/2 years and started knowing nothing. You can see my work here: www,pamfieldsphotography.com 

It's an expensive hobby to get started with but, if you are good and figure out the marketing/business side of things, you can make pretty decent money, but photographers are a dime a dozen so you have to really build your skills and hustle. 

Found this comparison online: http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6-vs-Nikon-D3400

I'm usually a Canon girl have to say my last purchase has really disappointed.

I don't see in original post if daughter requested a DSLR. I prefer them to the smaller cameras because with my arthritis it's easier for me to manually rotate lens and hold onto bigger case. Many people prefer the power of a smaller camera and not having to lug the extra lens around. Usually the online camera stores have similar or better sales than brick and mortar stores. I think my camera came from Adorama or B&H photo,  not 100% sure which. Also, keep in mind that depending where she's going DSLR camera may not be allowed because many places consider anything with detachable lens "professional".

I've had to rent/borrow smaller cameras for concerts several times this year and it's for that reason I'm looking for a smaller programmable camera this year. I love my DSLR but the last concert pics I took with borrowed camera were so bad I could cry.

Found this comparison online: http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6-vs-Nikon-D3400

I'm usually a Canon girl have to say my last purchase has really disappointed.

I don't see in original post if daughter requested a DSLR. I prefer them to the smaller cameras because with my arthritis it's easier for me to manually rotate lens and hold onto bigger case. Many people prefer the power of a smaller camera and not having to lug the extra lens around. Usually the online camera stores have similar or better sales than brick and mortar stores. I think my camera came from Adorama or B&H photo,  not 100% sure which. Also, keep in mind that depending where she's going DSLR camera may not be allowed because many places consider anything with detachable lens "professional".

I've had to rent/borrow smaller cameras for concerts several times this year and it's for that reason I'm looking for a smaller programmable camera this year. I love my DSLR but the last concert pics I took with borrowed camera were so bad I could cry.

Tinkrbel is spot on here. She could be left without a camera in some places that she might like to have one if she goes full DSLR.

And...

Not to hijack the thread but... I bought myself a new Nikon not-quite-DSLR last year from BB, Tink. Its lens doesn't detach (but does have long zoom), so I am able to take it everywhere you mention. It has a case size similar to a DSLR, which should help you hold on to it. Takes some pretty great pictures for a non-DSLR. Mine wasn't even "top of the line" - I had a budget I needed to stay within, so you could likely do even better than I did as far as pic quality if you want.

• Like 1

Interesting, what model? The guy in front of me at DesertTrip had an older model Lumix I think that took stunning pictures.

Mine is the predecessor to this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-coolpix-b500-16-0-megapixel-digital-camera-plum/4997300.p?skuId=4997300

To be honest, I chose it over the Lumix because I was tired of dealing with rechargeable somewhat-custom batteries. The Nikon uses normal AA batteries. So you can use rechargeables, but you can also pick up extra batteries anywhere easily if your rechargeables run dry.

That issue aside (I freely admit personal preference there), I've heard VERY good things about the Lumix line as well with regards to picture quality.

Also for op, if sticking to DSLR get a decent bag. I REALLY hate the huge boxy one that comes with Canon's, I'm ok with taking camera and spare in the older black vinyl-y Canon bags but depending in preference daught may prefer something else. I brought a nice looking one on sale last BF and it only fits camera with smaller lens and maybe spare battery.

The boxy one is a good sturdy bag it's just not for me. I only use it to store smaller bag with stuff in it if I'm taking a lot of stuff to hotel with me so I don't wind up throwing smaller bag about and possibly damaging spare lens.

• Like 1

As someone mentioned above (and I started typing a week ago, but got caught up in things), you'll want to get a good lens.  Get something like f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime lens (around 35mm will probably work).  One thing to note is that generally Canon has cheaper lenses for this type of thing.

Being a very frequent concert go-er.. I have a Canon SX60 HS that I've been able to take into nearly every venue (1 venue is evil).  It takes GREAT pics and is substantial enough that you shouldn't have a problem with your arthritis.  I usually use manual settings during shows w/o flash and auto w/ flash for pics with people.

As for the DSLR question, I've been debating myself.. not between which camera, but whether I would use it enough to justify the cost.  Most of my photography is at concerts and DSLRs are frowned upon.   I'm also spoiled by the rotating screen on my current camera.  (My camera also has the wi-fi) 

Good luck in all of your searches everyone!!

Going to suggest looking at BlackFriday Charts, and then do some reviews online looking up.  Go to manufacturers sites and look up the camera, or find a camera store and give them a phone call.  Just state you are trying to decide and ask them what one sells better.  Camera stores specialize in these types of things, and may be better informed to help you decide.