Christmas Eve traditions

Illinoismom

I have four child and they are now 29,26,19,and 17 when they were little we had several traditions we would do, 

They each got Santa PJ's, They each decorated a Santa cookie, in laws and some family would come for dinner, when they left the kids got in their jammies, put out the cookies, hang the magic key on the outside of the door no fireplace, sprinkle the gold dust outside so Santa could see our yard. along with a snack for the reindeer. They would check the radar to see where Santa was and off to bed they went.

Now fast forward we still put out the cookies, we still hang the key and sometimes we still sprinkle the gold dust, somethings never change 

• Like 6

When I was a little girl, we always had somewhere to be on Christmas Day for dinner, Grama's house, or my aunt's house, SOMEWHERE. So, since we didn't have time to enjoy our gifts before we had to get ready and leave the house, Santa came to our house on Christmas Eve while we were out driving around looking at lights.  We would get home, and sure enough, Santa had been there while we were gone.  When my own children were little (and my sisters' kids too), we carried on that same tradition.  When my oldest was little, my dad would convince him he was going to catch Santa in the act! LOL

Now my oldest is married with kids of his own.  My DIL insisted on Santa comes while the kids are asleep, which worked out perfectly for me because now they come to my house on Christmas Eve and my own traditions didn't have to change.  (**Note - I would have given up Christmas Eve for them to start their own traditions with their kids, it just turned out I didn't have to :)).

• Like 2

We opened regular presents on Christmas Eve and my maternal grandparents only lived 10 min away when we were little so they would get up early on Christmas and wait for the call that we were up.  They always arrived before we were dont opening Santa's presents!  We dont travel for the holidays due to my husbands schedule so we have Christmas PJ Day,  A nice day of relaxation and food ! 

We snack all day on finger foods, play games and watch Christmas movies. When it starts getting late My two boys open up their Christmas box with their pj's and two books. They change into their PJ's we drink hot chocolate and watch the Polar Express read the Pajama Elves and say our goodbyes to the elf on the shelf then its bedtime.

It seems our Christmas Eve traditions have changed more than I thought. I would start to type and realize we use to do it another way. DD13 gets to open a present on Christmas Eve and we will go to a Christmas Eve service at my parents church. Those two things have remained the same. 

• Like 1

We have my in-laws over for a big dinner then they watch my kids open there pj's and ornament and then we open the gifts they brought after that the kids put on there new pj's and the grandparents leave and we go out to look at Christmas lights. Been doing it this way for 16 years will be sad when the kids are all grown

The kids get to open their stockings and one present (always their new pj pants) on Christmas Eve.    They open the rest Christmas morning and we spend the day relaxing and enjoying the gifts.     We sometimes have had to move things around to accommodate the whole family getting together, but we make it work.  

The earlier part of the day is spent baking; the kids decorate cookies and gingerbread houses. Dinner is always something quick; take-out or a bunch of apps. Around 6:30-7, we take a ride and look at houses. There's a few streets not far from us that go all out! Every year, I try and find another place to add to the list :)

Once we're home, the kids watch tv for a bit, leave cookies and egg nog out for Santa and then it's off to bed. Around 10:30-11, I haul everything up and get it all arranged under the tree in the family room. Once it's all set up, I get myself a glass of wine and take in as much of the peace and serenity that I can....

The one Christmas Eve tradition we have always done is sitting round the tree, watching Christmas movies (preferably It's A Wonderful Life) and then open one present only.  I did that with my parents and we continued with our DD.  We still do that but a couple of years ago we started having a Christmas Eve afternoon tea.  We have several kinds of tea, make little sandwiches, scones and little desserts.  It's very nice and relaxing.