Verizon Black Friday Ad Posted

Brad

It looks as though Verizon has made a fuss about it's posting.

My question is............on the cell phones as low as $10/month, I'm confused a bit about the fine print.  If I want the S7 am I going to have to pay the entire $672 up front and then get the $432 over the 24 months, or are they going to charge the $672 over the 24 months while deducting the $432 over the 24 months for a total $10 per month?  I really can't pay that much up front but the $10/month I could handle.

Any thoughts?

@cinnamon16201

The way I understand these to work is like this: your bill will show two line items. One will be the full payment amount of $27.08/month.  Then you will see a credit of $17.08/month on a separate line, for a net cost to you of $10/month.  The "catch" is that you have to make these payments over two years.  If you pay it off early, which is allowed, you lose the monthly credit.  It's a different way to hook you into being with them for at least two years so they can recover the cost of the phone through the service.  When I bought my current phone from them, they gave me a $300 credit on my first bill, and I make full monthly payments.  If I pay it off earlier than 2 years, I lose nothing. I think too many people paid it off and sold the phone, making some cash on the deal.  I don't know if that's even available. Seems like they now apply a monthly credit so as to keep you the full 24 months!  Jerks!  (Still, if you don't plan on leaving Verizon, it's a great deal!!)

Edited by mahers

Be careful.

Lots of people don't understand the hidden costs with these.

Most likely going to cost you twice as much as buying one for $199 elsewhere

Both my iPhone's are with them so I'm not going anywhere. I'm pleased with my service with them but I am interested in learning more about the fine print. Just want to know how much they will add to my bill for the mini. Thanks for the heads up I will do my research.

Both my iPhone's are with them so I'm not going anywhere. I'm pleased with my service with them but I am interested in learning more about the fine print. Just want to know how much they will add to my bill for the mini. Thanks for the heads up I will do my research.

I am not an expert, but it all has to do with the data plan they make you purchase for it. Expensive and near useless as you burn thru it in no time. And of course overage costs are off the charts. A friend of mine who was not well informed was shocked at what it was costing her and she went in and told them to shove it. Don't know how that ended. Also if you have to make payments on it, it's no longer the advertised price, you may have interest tacked on. Make sure you know the numbers. They try to hide the real final costs. At the end of the day, buying one that isn't attached to a carrier is the much better deal 99.99% of the time.

Edited by sdn40
  • Like 1

I am not an expert, but it all has to do with the data plan they make you purchase for it. Expensive and near useless as you burn thru it in no time. And of course overage costs are off the charts. A friend of mine who was not well informed was shocked at what it was costing her and she went in and told them to shove it. Don't know how that ended. Also if you have to make payments on it, it's no longer the advertised price, you may have interest tacked on. Make sure you know the numbers. They try to hide the real final costs. At the end of the day, buying one that isn't attached to a carrier is the much better deal 99.99% of the time.

I always wondered about buying one with a plan or outright. Thanks! Something to consider.

I have actually called Verizon about how the deals work. The $10 a month phones you will pay the normal price for 2 or 3 months and then get credited for that amount and pay $10 a mo th after. Those can be done as upgrades or new service. The ones on page 2 are new service ONLY such as the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. I am likely getting the S7 edge free through Best Buy, however that is a 2 year contract deal which brings up the price of the service by $20 a month. However, with the $2950 Best Buy gift card, $480 - $250 comes to only $230 rather than the $240 ($10 month) for a better phone, plus free VR glasses by mail.

It looks as though Verizon has made a fuss about it's posting.

My question is............on the cell phones as low as $10/month, I'm confused a bit about the fine print.  If I want the S7 am I going to have to pay the entire $672 up front and then get the $432 over the 24 months, or are they going to charge the $672 over the 24 months while deducting the $432 over the 24 months for a total $10 per month?  I really can't pay that much up front but the $10/month I could handle.

Any thoughts?

@cinnamon16201

The way I understand these to work is like this: your bill will show two line items. One will be the full payment amount of $27.08/month.  Then you will see a credit of $17.08/month on a separate line, for a net cost to you of $10/month.  The "catch" is that you have to make these payments over two years.  If you pay it off early, which is allowed, you lose the monthly credit.  It's a different way to hook you into being with them for at least two years so they can recover the cost of the phone through the service.  When I bought my current phone from them, they gave me a $300 credit on my first bill, and I make full monthly payments.  If I pay it off earlier than 2 years, I lose nothing. I think too many people paid it off and sold the phone, making some cash on the deal.  I don't know if that's even available. Seems like they now apply a monthly credit so as to keep you the full 24 months!  Jerks!  (Still, if you don't plan on leaving Verizon, it's a great deal!!)

I have actually called Verizon about how the deals work. The $10 a month phones you will pay the normal price for 2 or 3 months and then get credited for that amount and pay $10 a mo th after. Those can be done as upgrades or new service. The ones on page 2 are new service ONLY such as the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. I am likely getting the S7 edge free through Best Buy, however that is a 2 year contract deal which brings up the price of the service by $20 a month. However, with the $2950 Best Buy gift card, $480 - $250 comes to only $230 rather than the $240 ($10 month) for a better phone, plus free VR glasses by mail.

It is all very confusing, because they keep changing the details.  We have 2 phones on the edge program.  It used to be that we paid the $35 a month and $40 line access and then got a $20 credit every month.  But, I changed our data a month or two ago and now our line access is $20 for each phone and no credit.  I'd call and quiz them before buying.

@cinnamon16201

Thank you.  I guess I'll have to actually think a bit about it.  I am on my DD's plan and I'm not sure that she wants to stay with Verizon for 2 more years.  Where she lives in CT she get no V cell reception (she uses Google Voice with it) and was thinking about changing.  But now they are talking about moving back to central NY where she had strong V reception.  I guess if she gets a new phone I should be safe.

I actually spoke with a Best Buy mobile rep today and he seemed to think the same thing.  But he also said that I need to check when Verizon's promo starts as they might be able to give me both that and the BB promo.  Not sure but said to try.  But no way am I going to fight BB crowds early in the day.

Is this the actual ad?  Why is it not on main BF ad page??

Verizon made them take it down. Some companies like Home Depot and now Verizon think people wait until the last minute to plan their shopping lists. If I had to wait for them to be allowed to officially post it, I would never even bother going into those stores. I am have already planned out most of my stops and I'm finalizing it this weekend. Best Buy is likely my first stop, which actually has a better deal than Verizon any way. I'm going to get the Samsung s7 Edge for free (well, 2 year contract which raises the cost of the service by $20 a month) and use that hopefully the same day. I have over $3000 shopping planned for Best Buy, unless they screw around and the items I want are the Friday am doorbusters. By that time I will have already bought the items elsewhere as well.

@cinnamon16201

Actually, I called Verizon. The way it works is you pay the $27 for 2 - 3 months rather than the $10. Then on the 2nd or 3rd bill they will credit you back the $17 and then it goes to $10 a month for the remaining 21 or 22 months. That deal is good for either new OR upgrades. The Samsung s7 edge is ONLY FOR NEW CUSTOMERS or you have to change your number to get that deal. If you check out Best Buy, Target, or Walmart, you can get the S7 EDGE, which will cost you $20 a month more on the 2 year plan, but the phone is "FREE", but you also get a $250 gift card. Best Buy and Target you also get the VR goggles (BY MAIL) and an Oculus content pack (also by mail) Walmart you just get the gift card. In the end you get the $250 gift card and the $99 goggles (supposedly the oculus pack is worth $49 but I can't say for sure) but it costs you $480 over 2 years. Count in what you get and not counting the oculus, you get $250 + $100 pair of VR goggles, so the phone ends up being only about $90. That is your best deal, and the one I am going with. The S7 only has a 300 Mah battery, the S7 Edge has 3600 Mah battery, thats the main reason for it. Also, Best Buy has Otterbox cases on sale for $25, usually they are about $50.