Off Topic - But Christmas LIst Question

Dylansmommy

My kids have kind of out-smarted me.

They're asking for some really expensive things this year.  When I told him that's too much money, my oldest says, "I'll ask Santa.  It's free if it comes from Santa!"  When I said that even Santa has a budget, he said, "Santa doesn't use money, mom, he uses Christmas magic!"  

I'm to the point where I want to say, "Mom is Santa, and mom uses money not magic!"  

What do you say to your kids without ruining the secret about Santa??

What they said.  LOL.  No, really, that's kind of how I used to explain things to my kids.  I would say Santa has helpers all over the place and the companies that make those things are some of his helpers, but they have to be paid.

Of course, I also told them that all mama's get Santa's phone # when their first child is born and he consults with us on any gifts out of the ordinary. Which was why they couldn't get lizards or shotguns from Santa :).

• Like 1

My kids are older now, but I heard this from a friend and wish I would have heard it earlier!   

Santa spends the same amount of money, or Christmas magic, on every kid in the world.  Those kids who get really expensive presents, had mom or dad give Santa "extra" money for them to spend.  Children who are in families who may not get presents at all - Santa used their portion on things like food and clothing - things they needed more than toys.   That's why we donate presents to them.  

Edited by dakotadenise
  • Like 8

I simply tell them that Santa can't bring anything mommy or daddy didn't give permission to bring. I explained that each November Santa meets with parents to discuss Christmas lists and behavior etc, this way if you tell them no and Santa doesn't bring it they'll know it was discussed and agreed upon.lol

Edited by Briasmom
  • Like 1

Santa definitely has a budget. I blamed the elves. Elves need to get paid just like everyone else, or they couldn't afford to live at the North Pole. My daughter thought that the Salvation Army kettles were for Santa donations. And when she noticed that Santa and Mommy use the same wrapping paper, I said that we leave wrapping paper out for him to use so Santa doesn't have to use his own money on it. 

And when she noticed that Santa and Mommy use the same wrapping paper, I said that we leave wrapping paper out for him to use so Santa doesn't have to use his own money on it. 

My parents told me that Santa has all the wrapping paper in the world and he wraps his presents the same as your parents so that they all match under the tree! Now that I have kids, Santa wraps in Santa paper and Mommy and Daddy don't.

• Like 1

Santa always uses different wrapping paper from mom and dads presents. So when my dd found some leftover Santa paper in the closet I explained that he leaves it for the parents to use the next year.

omg why didnt i think of that !!!! i will never forget rewrapping EVERYTHING  when paper scraps were discovered.