Where did you get your realistic reasonably priced artificial tree?

burberryplaid

Our cat (who was a kitten last year) chewed through the lights on our pre-lit tree last year so we need a new one. I am sure now that he's older things will go better this year but we need to replace the one from last year.

We've usually bought artificial trees at Lowe's or Home Depot when they were on sale after Thanksgiving. The problem is they don't look realistic. So here are my requirements:

Between 6-8 Feet

Realistic look

Pre-lit multicolor lights, unlit may be ok if it's the right tree

Prefer to pay under $150 but if the right tree may go up to $200

So if you have bought a tree that meets that criteria, tell me about it please!

Home Depot usually has a Martha Stewart tree on black Friday on sale for under $100. I got one a couple years ago, and it's really pretty. It's got a combo of rubbery plastic branches and the usual cloth-like branches, and that adds a little interest to it.

Yes, this is the tree I have also. I love it. They do sell out quickly though, year before last they were available online for probably less than an hour. And when I went in store, I actually stood in line (only time I've ever stood outside in line!), they were flying off the shelves.

I'm not sure how realistic you're looking for, but I bought this one on BF at Home Depot last year and I really like it.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/ts1852/HomeDepot-2015-1%202.jpg

• Like 2

The year before last, it was available online early thanksgiving morning. If you want it, I would be sure to get up and check at the time the sale starts (I think it was 6am, but don't hold me to that). That year it sold out early. I checked at 6, talked myself out of it, then by 8 when I got back up it was sold out. I was glad I got it at the store though, because I was too impatient to wait for it to be shipped.
  • Like 1

Our really nice tree we bought at Sears a number of years ago. Got a good deal it was the last one they had of the one I liked so they sold me the one from the floor. They had to take it apart and get it all in the box while I waited lol. The other one we have we got at home depot it's one of the GE ones with the LED lights and music was a BF sale in 2014 though I'm pretty sure it was around $200 because of the light's, music and BlueTooth integration. Did the order online thing and went and picked it up to make sure I got what I wanted (we had already looked at it ahead of time). It's about 7' tall it's not overly big around and it doesn't look super plasticky like many I have seen lately. I would like to get one of those Balsam Hill trees they are supposed to look super realistic but DANG are they super expensive.

• Like 1

Both my daughter and I have needed new trees the past two years.  After going though all of my archived BF sales ads (I save the pdf's every year) I decided that Home Depot seemed to have the best and most consistent deals.  Their prices are exceptional and their trees very high quality.  I haven't really found another retailer that has both.  The tree deals are VERY popular at my local HD.  The two tips that helped me succeed both years were 1) be in line EARLY (for my store at least an hour)  2) have another person if at all possible. 

Scout out location of the trees prior to store opening.  My store has detailed maps and hot chocolate ( I love my local HD!).  When the store opens run in without a cart or hand truck.   After you find your tree, have one person stay with the box while the other comes back with the cart.  I must say it is a very old school Black Friday experience!

• Like 1

Thanks all - I might go look at the Martha Stewart and see if it meets our needs than hope it makes the sale.

I work right next to a HD & a Lowe's so hopefully one will have a good deal.

I'd love a Balsam Hill but the cost us crazy especially since I may need to replace it if the cat gets crazy again!

We got ours at menards last year. They have a great selection! You may even be able to catch an 11% back sale before thanksgiving. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByGottaDeal1477897122.030912.jpg

I love this but no Menard's in Massachusetts :(

Edited by burberryplaid
  • Like 1

I have usually purchased at either Hobby Lobby at 50% or from Home Depot with a really good sale.  We got a 12 footer from them a few years ago and it is a really nice one!  

Good luck in your hunt!  

TIP:  I've come across Christmas trees at garage sales, nice ones, that are in the sale because they are missing some branches.  These are the old style, not pre-lit, where they come off the "trunk".  If the artificial greenery is nice enough, those "branches" make a killer addition to your greenery decorating supply.  Just tuck them into your garlands, up on top of cabinets or shelves, behind larger items so they fluff out on either side (makes a nice framing effect), they can even be used to fill any larger "holes" once you've fluffed the branches of your pre-lit artificial tree.  Just stick them in there!  Once you get all the lights (if you add extra like I do) and ornaments and garland, etc. on there you can't even tell.

Any "cheaper" looking artificial tree can look like a million bucks using this trick - IMHO  :)  Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

So...where would you look for a tree if it's after BF?  :holiday09

Depends on your taste, and your budget, I guess.  If it were me, I would suggest looking at Walmart or Big Lots. In my opinion, trees are just way too expensive if you can't get them on sale. So, if I had to have one right now, I would buy the cheapest one I could find then the few days after Christmas when everything is marked way down, I would buy a nicer one for next year.   

If you can afford it, they have gorgeous trees at Hobby Lobby.  And even more gorgeous ones at Christmas specialty shops, if there are any in your area.  We have a little store called North Pole City, and I could hang out in there all day just enjoying their trees. :)