Who is the hardest person you have to buy for.. and what do you get them?

speeddiva

My MIL is extremely hard to buy for. She has no hobbies, doesn't like music, doesn't read, doesn't watch TV and has more clothing than she needs. She doesn't use cosmetics, perfume or get her hair done much so I know a spa day wouldn't be welcome. She does love one fast food chain, but all of her other children get her GCs to there. I've been reduced to boring fruit baskets every year, although I know she enjoys them.

So what do you get the difficult person in your life?

• Like 1

My BIL is my hard one.  He is way into hunting, but I hate to get him the same ole camo stuff every year.  I try to find him stuff slightly outside of the box, that no one else would think of.  For example, he loves peanuts, so one year I got him a big glass jar (this thing was like 2.5 feet tall), and filled it with peanuts in the shell.  He loved it, and the jar sits by the kitchen door in their house.  Another year I got him something small, AND peanuts to refill the jar.

• Like 3

My BIL is my hard one. He is way into hunting, but I hate to get him the same ole camo stuff every year. I try to find him stuff slightly outside of the box, that no one else would think of. For example, he loves peanuts, so one year I got him a big glass jar (this thing was like 2.5 feet tall), and filled it with peanuts in the shell. He loved it, and the jar sits by the kitchen door in their house. Another year I got him something small, AND peanuts to refill the jar.

I got my BIL peanuts and a 6-pack of beer one year. He loved it.

• Like 1

My MIL is difficult to buy for because she is not into fashion, makeup, perfumes, collectibles and cannot travel to go to events because she is a caretaker to her sister. I hate to buy her the same things every year or buy her one of her vices (lotto or smoking, yuck.). I'm thinking about new kitchen items for her, as she does like to cook and bake. DH & I struggle every birthday and Christmas buying for her though.

I guess it would be my in laws. They have everything or live a simple type life so what I do for the Holidays and Birthdays I give them an experience. Maybe dinner and a play or a concert or a simple weekend vacation. It sounds pricey but if you shop around you can get something fairly reasonable and for 2 people you can't beat it. 

• Like 1

My FIL has everything he needs and he has the finances to buy what he wants when he wants it so he is always the one we struggle on ideas for. We try to go with experiences that we can do together when we are in town visiting . He seems to like what we have come up with in the past and we have made some great memories together.

Usually it is my In laws but this year they are building a house so a gc to Lowes will be it. My mother is going to be difficult this year. I used to be able to buy her clothes but she is on a diet program and doesn't want clothes until she hits her goal weight. She " misplaces" gift cards and feels they aren't personal enoughSo that is out. I'm thinking perfume or some kind of cosmetics.

My BIL is my hard one.  He is way into hunting, but I hate to get him the same ole camo stuff every year.  I try to find him stuff slightly outside of the box, that no one else would think of.  For example, he loves peanuts, so one year I got him a big glass jar (this thing was like 2.5 feet tall), and filled it with peanuts in the shell.  He loved it, and the jar sits by the kitchen door in their house.  Another year I got him something small, AND peanuts to refill the jar.

My BIL is a hunter and outdoorsman and I love Duluth Trading Co. for unique gifts (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-gifts-mens-gear/mens-gifts-and-gear.aspx). I got him beard oil, survival knife (he loves knives), and 'brick' soap. 

I have a couple of people who are difficult - mainly because I want to find the right gift and I over think it! I don't like to go just the GC route so I like to at least find something fun and unique and give them a GC if it was an inexpensive gift. 

Edited by zim05
  • Like 1

Gosh, I guess it would be my sister. I struggle with her gifts(s) every stinking year. She rarely wants anything in particular and can't even come up with things she wouldn't mind having. She doesn't cook, has no hobbies, doesn't collect anything, doesn't need anything for her house. I gave her a set of Huggable Hangers from QVC one year and another year a scrapbook I made of all of our trips up until then. To date, I have yet to top those two.

I always give her a gift card for her Birthday so don't like to repeat that for Christmas if I can avoid it.

It varies for me from year to year, last my dad was the hard one this year he is almost done, and my mom seems the hardest this year. However my youngest DS is hard this year too. I wanted to get him tickets to a UNC game but I don't think I can get good seats at a price I can afford especially when they play Duke. I could combine it with his birthday but I am not sure what other teams are a good match?? 

In years past it was our parents, until they all said they would rather have visa gift cards..score! LOL!

Now it is my husband. He normally just buys what he wants through out the year. All the things he likes are extremely expensive. Last year I managed to buy him a new gun that he had wanted. I bought it for him before he could! LOL! This year we are not going to exchange gifts. Our son is currently deployed and will be back on USA soil some point after the holidays. We will be spending a ton of money going to his deployment homecoming. That first hug after sooooooooooooo long will be worth no Christmas presents under the tree for myself or my husband!!

• Like 4

I got my BIL peanuts and a 6-pack of beer one year. He loved it.

Now see, that's a gift I'd appreciate. It doesn't take up space at all and will get used.

(No, please, no gifts of beer and peanuts, I don't really drink unless you're buying me nice champagne lol)

My parents are difficult, so this year I'm just getting them gift cards to the place where they take their annual vacation. 

I read your question and thought, "That's easy!" But the more I thought about it, everyone is getting harder and harder to buy for. My first thought was my husband and my dad. Those 2 men don't need anything and I always get him the same things, snacks, scratch-off lottery tickets, socks & underwear. But then I remembered that our kids and my niece and nephews are getting older and more difficult to buy for. The only fun one to buy for is my 4 year old nephew. He's still excited and trilled with anything he receives. My niece and nephews are at the ages where I don't know what to buy anymore. Their parents (my sister and her husband) buy them name-brand everything so anything that isn't name-brand doesn't fly with them. I can't afford to buy my own kids name-brand stuff, let alone anyone else. So I usually end up getting them snacks and gift cards so they can buy what they want. Boring, I know, but it works for me! :)

My MIL is difficult to buy for because she is not into fashion, makeup, perfumes, collectibles and cannot travel to go to events because she is a caretaker to her sister. I hate to buy her the same things every year or buy her one of her vices (lotto or smoking, yuck.). I'm thinking about new kitchen items for her, as she does like to cook and bake. DH & I struggle every birthday and Christmas buying for her though.

if she loves to bake what about gifting her one of craftsy' s Wilton classes? They also have several cooking classes.

if she loves to bake what about gifting her one of craftsy' s Wilton classes? They also have several cooking classes.

She already does cake decorating, so unfortunately that wouldn't work. lol She really is difficult to buy for. Thank you for the suggestion though, I am always happy to get ideas for gifts!

Could you get copies of her recipes and make a book out of them?

• Like 1

My husband is the hard one on my list, he either has it already or it is something super expensive.  I usually fall back on some funny T-shirts, a new really nice sweatshirt or hoodie, food items he likes and then hope I can find something else he'll like that won't break the bank.  A new movie he's wanted to see is problematic because he'll often just buy it when he sees it and then I have to make a return!

For others that are struggling, sometimes Gift baskets are a really great way to go.  Even for those folks with no hobbies, they've got to eat right?  There are a ton of food theme gift basket ideas out there - I'm doing breakfast gift baskets for several people this year.

Another idea to fall back on is that of a "consumable" - something they'll use up like stationary, envelopes, stamps, etc. Or an experience type gift, like others have mentioned.

At the end of the day, some folks are just STILL hard to buy for though!

It used to be enough my exMIL. She would request a very specific item that I would purchase and she would turn around and return it. Three years of that and the next six years she got giftcards. Now it is my stepfather. If he wants something he buys it, is very specific of places he patronizes, and has way too much "stuff".

Sent from my SM-T217S using GottaDeal mobile app

Edited by hockeyfanamo

In years past it was our parents, until they all said they would rather have visa gift cards..score! LOL!

Now it is my husband. He normally just buys what he wants through out the year. All the things he likes are extremely expensive. Last year I managed to buy him a new gun that he had wanted. I bought it for him before he could! LOL! This year we are not going to exchange gifts. Our son is currently deployed and will be back on USA soil some point after the holidays. We will be spending a ton of money going to his deployment homecoming. That first hug after sooooooooooooo long will be worth no Christmas presents under the tree for myself or my husband!!

Enjoy that homecoming. I worry when mine goes out for the future. Which branch? Mine is Navy, his ship is under repairs right now

Please thank your Son for his Service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using GottaDeal mobile app

I have a dear friend of mine that was, at first, very easy to buy for. Now I've gotten him so many different fun things over the years that it's getting harder to come up with new ideas! He just recently bought his second house (as in "sold one, bought different one", not "he owns two houses"), so he doesn't need much for the house.

I did manage to hit one out of the park with a housewarming gift, though. About a year ago, I ran across a local artisan that recycles old liquor bottles into hanging lamps (either candle or electric). His favorite drink is Captain Morgan and Coke. Sure enough, they had a Captain Morgan lamp. Knowing he was eyeing the move, though, I held off picking it up then. Fast forward to done deal on the new house... I went back to the shop where the artisan's work was on display. Bingo. Bought lamp (a whole $25 - not too bad, I thought). He moved in week before last. I waited a week, then shipped him the lamp. (He lives a few hours away from me.) You'd have thought I sent him a winning lotto ticket with the response I got back. Win. I just now have no idea what I'm getting him for Christmas. lol

I guess, point of the story being - if you've got folks that are hard to buy for, don't overlook local artisans, particularly if you know they might appreciate a really unique gift. :)

• Like 4

Look at King Arthur baking website. They have a huge array of cooking and baking items including nice mixes.