For the first time in 4 years... but will it matter?

DaFees

For the first time in 4 years, not since 2012, there will be 4 Fridays between Black Friday and Christmas. This means retailers will have 4 Fridays plus 3 and partial (because the 4th is Christmas Eve) Saturdays to try and sell stuff to consumers. Looking back to 2012 and comparing it to 2013 I couldn't discern anything meaningful to suggest that retailers having an extra weekend of sales thereby impacted the kinds of deals we got on Black Friday. So question is will it make a difference this year? Will retailers having some of an extra weekend this year impact the deals we get on Black Friday?

I have friends that intentionally do all their gift shopping on Christmas Eve and I think this extra weekend will impact last minute shoppers like them the most. I would think that in store selection will be more picked over than normal by the last weekend. On the other hand this extra time might improve people's chances of their online shopping items being delivered in time for the holidays.
  • Like 1

I have friends that intentionally do all their gift shopping on Christmas Eve and I think this extra weekend will impact last minute shoppers like them the most. I would think that in store selection will be more picked over than normal by the last weekend. On the other hand this extra time might improve people's chances of their online shopping items being delivered in time for the holidays.

I remember one year I had been out of town working and didn't get home until late the 23rd, I ended up having to go out shopping for EVERYONE on Christmas Eve. Thankfully back then it was a lot less people. I got most of the gifts from Best Buy wasn't too busy so I was able to get in and out pretty quick. I think an extra weekend helps because people can then spread purchases out across more paychecks if needed.

I remember one year I had been out of town working and didn't get home until late the 23rd, I ended up having to go out shopping for EVERYONE on Christmas Eve. Thankfully back then it was a lot less people. I got most of the gifts from Best Buy wasn't too busy so I was able to get in and out pretty quick. I think an extra weekend helps because people can then spread purchases out across more paychecks if needed.

I learned my shopping style from my mother -- get the things that must be under the tree early and fill the space around these things with things you get Christmas Eve.  Of course price matching and return/rebuy make this easier.

• Like 2

I learned my shopping style from my mother -- get the things that must be under the tree early and fill the space around these things with things you get Christmas Eve.  Of course price matching and return/rebuy make this easier.

If i recall correctly one of the things I bought on that shopping trip was a new microwave oven for my grandparents. Theirs was getting long in the tooth so I picked them up a good one.

I think Black Friday deals will be about the same. The factor that might have an influence is the reports of an improving economy. Retailers might figure they can offer deals that are not as good as before and still get the sales. But if the people do not think the economy is improving, they will have that extra weekend to mark things down before Christmas.