Gift ideas for teachers?

m13april

This is my first year with a kid in school.  What are some good ideas for gifts for teachers that I don't really know any specific likes/dislikes?  I know I can get candy nearly free with CVS ecb deals around BF, but I am guessing they get a lot of sweets around that time of year.   

This was always a tough one for me as well. My sister is a teacher and she gets all kinds of mugs that she doesn't use. I know a lot of teachers can't do the scented candles that you see so many of on BF. Shutterfly will have codes a lot of times for a free wall calendar. If there is any way you could get pictures of the kids in the class (by volunteering in the classroom maybe?), maybe make him/her a calendar. All you pay is shipping and maybe tax. My sister really likes stuff for her classroom so she doesn't have to pay out of her own pocket. Things like dry erase markers are big on her list as well as extra pencils, crayons, really any kind of supplies. Maybe get a variety of things and put them in a cute basket. Hope some of these ideas help.

• Like 2

This was always a tough one for me as well. My sister is a teacher and she gets all kinds of mugs that she doesn't use. I know a lot of teachers can't do the scented candles that you see so many of on BF. Shutterfly will have codes a lot of times for a free wall calendar. If there is any way you could get pictures of the kids in the class (by volunteering in the classroom maybe?), maybe make him/her a calendar. All you pay is shipping and maybe tax. My sister really likes stuff for her classroom so she doesn't have to pay out of her own pocket. Things like dry erase markers are big on her list as well as extra pencils, crayons, really any kind of supplies. Maybe get a variety of things and put them in a cute basket. Hope some of these ideas help.

I don't know why I never thought of the extra school supplies but thanks!! This may be my go to teacher gift from now on.

• Like 2

My wife likes things that come from the kids, she can almost always tell when the kids have picked it out and when they have wrapped it (she has been a K and 1st teacher). She always loves those things, as for outside of that things that she can use in class, she also likes gift cards, she gets unusual candy and such (different ethnicity and such) which she always likes to try out. Like I said though, the more personal it is the better she seems to like it.

• Like 1

My go-to gift is jewelry or food. The first year my son was in school, it was a huge bag of Lindt chocolates and homemade scarves. The next year, Alex and Ani bracelets. Last year I had a new baby in the house so they got Applebee's giftcards and some candy. My thought is if you can't eat it or wear it, what good is it?! :-)

• Like 1

We always do gift cards to Target, Subway along with some Lindour chocolates or fancy candy.  However, IF I could score a nice Yeti mug on BF for $20 or less would be great!

How about $10 ??

Do yourself a favor and google Ozark Trail mug. They sell them at Walmart and there are dozens of youtube videos where they compare exactly to the Yeti. I think Yeti even has a lawsuit against Ozark Trail.

They come in 2 sizes. Some Walmarts were selling out as people were buying them and trying to ebay them.

Edited by sdn40
  • Like 2

I usually do the bath and body works soaps. With coupons you always get a great deal. Plus with multiple teachers you get more bang for your buck. I've also purchases Starbucks gift cards.

I usually do the bath and body works soaps. With coupons you always get a great deal. Plus with multiple teachers you get more bang for your buck. I've also purchases Starbucks gift cards.

• Like 1

When my son was in kindergarten I had him write his teacher's name and draw a picture of her.   We then went to Kinkos and had 'from the desk of' notepads printed with the name and picture he drew at the top.  It was very cute and something the teacher could actually use.  They had options for post it notes and other stationary products as well.

• Like 8

Find out if she likes tea or coffee and maybe give her some of those in assorted flavors. We are doing dish towels this year. We are in a very small church based school so DD has had all the teachers and wants to give them all something. Her main teachers will get a little bit more. In our area Chick-Fil-A gift cards and calendars are something most like.

How about a gift card to a coffee shop or breakfast place? Here in New England Dunkin Donuts is on every corner so I usually grab a $10 or so card. This way they can grab a donut or breakfast item or choose from several types of drinks if they are not into coffee.
  • Like 3

Teachers love gift cards, school supplies, and anything the kids make! I love the idea of the calendar with pictures from school events. But, I completely understand that some students may not be able to be pictured. What about each kid drawing a picture for a month and vote on which ones go into the calendar?
  • Like 1

Another thing I've had a teacher friend tell me to do....is to buy board games for the classroom.  That helps bring NEW fun things for the classroom that the teacher doesn't have to buy.  So, I've watch when Target has games for $3-$5 and stock up then to "give" to the teacher for xmas.  The teacher LOVED it and got many compliments from other teachers saying they wished someone did that for them. Both a gift for them (as they didn't have to spend their money on it) and a gift for the kids! 

Edited by lkonkel
  • Like 4

I work in a library and for my student workers I made them 'candy' pencils: https://www.instagram.com/p/n3pm8aKArz/

I think I followed these directions: http://www.thriftyandthriving.com/back-to-school-gifts-for-teachers-or-kids-candy-pencils/

This would be cute with a little card written by the student and maybe a gift card to Starbucks or another coffee place.

Edited by zim05
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting when I was in kindergarten, my mother got me ornament making kits from the craft store.  (Mom said it was to keep me out of her hair from Thanksgiving through the holidays.)   Every year I made a handmade ornament for my teacher(s) as well as for grandparents & godmother.   (Usually sequined ornaments.  The ones that take some time and work to do.  And yes, little kids can do them just fine.  Just have to remind them not to get lazy and not skip putting glue on the end of each pin!  LOL.)

I remember having several teachers tell me years later that they loved their ornament.  It was one of those unusual handmade gifts  -- something that they remembered