Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Anyone buying a Hoover Board this year?

3 replies to this topic

#1 premiumchip  OFFLINE  

premiumchip

Premiumchip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2016 - 7:33 am

I've read a lot about the Hoover Boards catching fire an why but does anyone know if these will be a hot item (no pun on the word HOT there) or not this year? 

My son wants one really bad and I'm trying to determine if there might be a brand that is safer than others. 

Any information is helpful! 

:runaway:

#2 Ravenseye  OFFLINE  

Ravenseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 19, 2016 - 4:04 am

I'd say most of the problems people have had with them have had more to do with the habits of the user, rather than the actual product itself. People are used to leaving their phones, laptops and tablets plugged in for a while, (sometimes overnight even!) this is not good for these things.

Follow these general rules with anything that uses a high performance lithium based battery, and your issues should be minimal;

1) NEVER leave the charging unit plugged in for longer than it needs to charge up the battery.

2) ALWAYS let the battery cool down from use before plugging it in to charge.

3) NEVER leave it plugged in overnight. If you aren't there to monitor it's state, don't plug it in.

4) NEVER run the thing until it stops. Always stop using the battery before the automatic cut-off kicks in. You're gonna have to determine what YOUR runtimes are. The ones in the manual are always going to be generalized and have nothing to do with how YOU use it.

5) IF you have a voltmeter, use it to check the state of the battery before you charge it, and after you're done using it. If you don't own a voltmeter, get one and learn to use it! It is a small investment that can save you lots of cash when it comes to batteries and other household things.

6) NEVER take advice for modifications or hacking the thing from youtube videos. The guy or gal on youtube does not pay your insurance, do they?

I sell these things and haven't had a single problem when I read our customers the riot act before they buy it. ;)

-Mike

Merry ChrismaHanukwanzikayule Everyone! (I know it's early, but it's the best time of year, and it should last well beyond when it's fashionable!)

#3 premiumchip  OFFLINE  

premiumchip

Premiumchip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 4, 2016 - 11:09 am

Thank you Mike for your detailed post. It helps me a lot. I'm trying to decide what brands are good and what ones are not. Do you have any insight on this? There's two on sale in the Kohl's ad. Do you know anything about those models? 

Any help anyone has on this topic is very much appreciated. 

#4 Ravenseye  OFFLINE  

Ravenseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 5, 2016 - 8:28 pm

Well, from what I can tell the Jetson v5 they have, doesn't exist anywhere but in that ad. The one I can find online is a v6. That doesn't bode well. Either it was a bad model and they discontinued/pulled it from circulation, or it's an old model that they liquidated for some reason. There literally is nothing online about it from a couple of google searches... Proceed with caution, and a flame retardant uniform.

The Razor Hovertrax seems like it is a much better unit from the quick poke into Amazon and a forum or two. This was produced after last year and they took into account the batteries needing t.l.c. This is the one, if I were to put money into one, I would feel more comfortable buying.

-Mike

Merry ChrismaHanukwanzikayule Everyone! (I know it's early, but it's the best time of year, and it should last well beyond when it's fashionable!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users