Have you ever been first in line?

bribri25

I did not know that they priced matched

Yes they do.  You have to ask the manager and has to be exact item.  We found out when we were visiting with store manager while he was waiting to be able to hand out movie passes last year.  Great lesson learned.  Never hurts to ask :)

I forgot about being first in line @ Walgreen's...There usually isn't many people shopping @ Walgreen's for BF anyway so it's not hard to be first...they always have good deals on batteries, Arm and Hammer laundry detergent and wrapping paper...

and the buy one get 2 free wrapping paper 

• Like 5

I was first in the line at a Best Buy one year WITHOUT camping! I have no idea how that was even possible, since every year since then has been crazy.  That was back in 2004.  I was also first in line for Target in the same year. As a matter of fact, I distinctly remember there was NO line there.  I just waltzed right in like I owned the joint, got what I needed, and was back home and done with shopping by like 7AM.  That was back in the day when they opened on Friday at 5AM.  Man, I feel old. lol

• Like 2

I was first in the line at a Best Buy one year WITHOUT camping! I have no idea how that was even possible, since every year since then has been crazy.  That was back in 2004.  I was also first in line for Target in the same year. As a matter of fact, I distinctly remember there was NO line there.  I just waltzed right in like I owned the joint, got what I needed, and was back home and done with shopping by like 7AM.  That was back in the day when they opened on Friday at 5AM.  Man, I feel old. lol

This sounds like a dream! So tell me how you were able to dash out of one and into the other. Were they located in the same shopping center? Back in 2004, many people were not camping long term. We had not hit our stride yet. I did see tents, but they were over-nighters around the corner from the front of the store. In 2004, we still had time to eat dinner and get into the line by 4 PM to be in the top ten.

and the buy one get 2 free wrapping paper 

Yes!!!! I absolutely bought the wrapping paper every year...I'd come home w/ six rolls of wrapping paper and my son would be like "Mom, more wrapping paper? You don't need anymore wrapping paper"  I didn't get any last year as they had the same wrapping paper from previous years and I still had some of those left over, lol...My wrapping paper storage container is over stuffed and I can't fit another roll in it, but I that has never stopped me before... So  I will be looking at wrapping paper again this year...

• Like 2

They were actually about 5 miles from each other, if you can believe that!  I think it was because the Target had JUST opened about 1 month before and it was one of those Super Targets.  Maybe everyone thought it was nothing more than a grocery store or something, lol.  Even the parking lot was practically empty!  Those days are long gone though.  The lines around Target are usually as long as the ones at BB here, though no one really camps for Target.  They do camp for BB though. I love seeing the campers too!  It really makes the whole BF experience real...like you know it's coming!

• Like 1

They were actually about 5 miles from each other, if you can believe that!  I think it was because the Target had JUST opened about 1 month before and it was one of those Super Targets.  Maybe everyone thought it was nothing more than a grocery store or something, lol.  Even the parking lot was practically empty!  Those days are long gone though.  The lines around Target are usually as long as the ones at BB here, though no one really camps for Target.  They do camp for BB though. I love seeing the campers too!  It really makes the whole BF experience real...like you know it's coming!

Yup, last 2 years the line for Target nearly as long, possibly longer than the line for Best Buy. No one lined up until only about 2 hours before Target opened, but when they arrived they came quick. I usually scope out Best Buy each day while on line to see where they are setting up which items, and I make sure I am the last customer to leave before they close for the last time before the Black Friday sale. A few years ago the mall didn't allow camping out and would actually kick people off the property until Thanksgiving Day (that was when Black Friday was still on Friday). I actually went and made arrangements with the manager of the mall and security, and ever since they follow past practice and allow camping out.

• Like 1

One of those years, 2011 was the craziest. We were first in line and had seven tents up early and the media was freaking out! We had three trucks there non-stop with the large antennas extended. The store loved it, the media bought the charade, and the employees absolutely freaked out.

• Like 1

I have never first in line, but last year I was among the earlier people to enter a JC Penney (in Burlington VT) while they were handing out $10 OFF $10 coupons to everyone while supplies last.  I called my daughter and niece to come over from another store and get the cards.  As they were running out of cards at that door, we all walked out and around to the other side of the building and entered again through a different door and got 3 more cards, shortly before they ran out.  We used the 6 cards plus one my wife got for 6 different purchases, getting mostly items that were under $20 BF price.

Edited by mcwalker
  • Like 1

I never have been but my husband was second in line at Walmart. This was years ago, before we had the 24 hour supercenter. He saw a fight! There was 3 women who waited in their nice warm car. They tried to rush the door and the woman ahead of him whipped two of them and offered to do the same to the third woman. LOL, she was smart enough to turn around and go to the back of the line.
  • Like 1

I used to go to a book conference.  I would line up three-four hours early to be the first on in.  One year a woman came up and sidelined to be first in.  I pointed to the line.  She ignored me.  My son went up to her and said, "It may not mean much to you, but my mom was her for three hours and if you don't move back in line, I will have to hear about it all day."  That was the key.  She moved back in line.

Great film clip.  Mandy Patikin with line cutter.

Edited by Iliveforblckfri
  • Like 1

One of those years, 2011 was the craziest. We were first in line and had seven tents up early and the media was freaking out! We had three trucks there non-stop with the large antennas extended. The store loved it, the media bought the charade, and the employees absolutely freaked out.

Awesome free publicity for the store :)

• Like 1

We've been first in line at Best Buy for the last few years ... I used to do BF with mom so I started to take my kids when they were old enough to stay up all night. One year we wanted something (I think it was TVs and a computer) and brought tents and were first in line .... somehow that became a tradition and now the kids feel like it's not BF if we don't spend the night out. They bring their friends along and play football, now that Thanksgiving is in play we have turkey delivered. There is absolutely nothing I want this year and I have a feeling they'll want to camp out anyway lol!
  • Like 4

Once dh, my sister and I were first in line.  It had to be a good 14-15 years ago.  It was for Ames.  They had the scratch off cards for the first so many people through the doors and you could get up to 50% off (we all got like 10% off, lol).  I believe the opening was like 5 or 6am, I know we got there around 4am.  It was so cold and snowy.  To make it worse, we didn't get anything.  We solely went to see if we could score a 50% off card to shop with.

never first but always within the first 10-20.  We stood in line one year at Kohls for hours in freezing temps.  We were so numb by the time the doors opened but got what we wanted (not sure what that was though).  I know we always used to go to Sears for their certificates they handed out to the first x number of people, and Macy's, and forget the others.  We would go to the stores handing them out then go back and shop. 

I remember being the first one in line at several outlet stores when "Midnight Madness" was first introduced.  Those stores included Tommy Hilfiger, UGGS, and Yankee Candle.  As far as any of the big stores are concerned, they would include Costco, AC Moore, GameStop, and Office Max.

I'm an OLD BF participant.  My wife and I were 1st in line several times,  years back in the late 90's..My kids were little and we camped at BB EVERY year.  Started going at 1 or 2 in the AM and people thought we were nuts.  Met some good friends and up until recently have continued the ritual.  Last time we 'camped out' was probably 4-5 years ago when we spent Turkey day in a tent freezing and taking turns going home to cook T-day diner for our campmates and us!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've been first in line at Best Buy for the last few years ... I used to do BF with mom so I started to take my kids when they were old enough to stay up all night. One year we wanted something (I think it was TVs and a computer) and brought tents and were first in line .... somehow that became a tradition and now the kids feel like it's not BF if we don't spend the night out. They bring their friends along and play football, now that Thanksgiving is in play we have turkey delivered. There is absolutely nothing I want this year and I have a feeling they'll want to camp out anyway lol!

Sounds like me. One of the years the media was interviewing me and asked what was so important that I was camping out. I told them the truth... it's a tradition and I wasn't really sure which items I was going to get yet, but by the time the store opens I would have a better idea, lol.