Have you ever been first in line?

bribri25

Were you ever the first one in line?

How long were you standing there?

How was the weather?

Was it worth it?

About 5 or 6 years ago, I was first in line for Michaels on Saturday morning (additional sales/coupons). There were a dozen or so cars already in the parking lot and all just staying warm in their cars (certainly Michael's isn't known for hard code BF shoppers - now, Joann has the fabric sale so you need to be on your toes there...). It was about 30 minutes before opening and I've stood outside in much colder for much longer, so what's 30 minutes to me. I went to the door and about 10 minutes late a few others started to join me. I sort of felt a little bad that I "jumped" them, but there was no discernible method to know who got there before/after who when it actually came time to get out of the cars.

Now, I know many of you have more interesting stories than that, so let's hear! 

• Like 2

I was first in line about 4-5 years ago @ Kmart...I can't remember exactly what I was getting as I always go to Kmart, but I'm sure it was something electronic for one of my kids...It was cold as I live in Buffalo, so it usually is that time of morning in November, but I was layered up of course!!!!

• Like 1

I was second in line at Kohl's one year when they had a 5am opening. We got there around 3am maybe, and there was no one waiting but a few cars in the parking lot. We were just going to wait in the car, but as soon as we pulled in, a group of girls got in line so we did too. It's one of my favorite BF memories. They were so nice. They were sisters and they were waiting for a 3rd sister, who was 8 months pregnant, trying to get all her shopping done before the baby came. She actually brought us all hot chocolates. When the doors opened, we all ran to toys and filled up her cart. It was truly a team effort!

• Like 5

Let me tell you about my brief stint in being the first in line. Many many years ago I was the first in line at the Electronics department in Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart where I live is open 24/7. I wanted the PSP at that time. Since no one was behind me I would wander around the store to see where all the other BF items were being placed. Now this guy in Electronics told me that the PSPs were not coming from there but around the store. So I'm like where and he told I don't know. So I go around the whole entire store looking and did not see anything. When it got closer to the sale time to BF I went back Electronics and a large line was there. That employee cost me my spot cause the PSPs were being sold back there. He better be glad I got one though.
  • Like 3

One year I decided to go to KMart for one of those Crosley turntables.  For some reason they opened a bit later - it was maybe 7 am.  I was standing there by myself for awhile thinking they probably opened by 6 am.  By the time the doors open there was more than a few people, and I was the first person in but it wasn't that big of a deal.  I still had someone hear me ask where I could find the digital key chains (remember those?) and then they raced me to snatch the few there were.

I got so mad at that I ended up just leaving with my Crosley turntable and didn't bother looking for any other deals.

• Like 1

I was first in line the year Old Navy gave out MP3players. I sat out there for 5 hours. I just had no where else to go. Others started lining up behind me only because they figured it must be something good lol. I beat the employees by 3 hours. 2013 I was first in line at BassPro Shop for 6 hours for jeans, bullets, shirts, and a gun. The employees brought out doughnuts and coffee. Fire dept was called because someone brought there fire pit and had sat it in the middle of the "stream" under the bridge walkway! Lol only in MS I guess but it was 25 degrees!
  • Like 1

I have never been first in line, but I have had the first person in line save my unprepared butt one year. I started getting a migraine while waiting out in the cold at JCPenney probably in my 2nd year of going out on BF. I stepped out of line and started asking if anyone had some excedrine and the first person in line was a pro and had a whole pharmacy of over the counter meds in their purse. It was very kind of them to share with me and people even let me back in line where I had been instead of going to the end of line (which I was prepared to to the moment I went hunting for meds, totally worth losing my spot to get meds that saved my whole BF).
  • Like 2

I've never been first in line for anything lol, mainly because I don't usually go after anything electronic.

You could still be going to TRU for Cabbage Patch, or Furbie...

Or to Joann for fabrics.

It's not always the electronics; though, often times yes.

Yes, Kmart and I was there for about 8 hours. I wanted this TV that was on sell and I knew they would only have about 3 so I had to get it, but to my surprise they open the door and came out to pass out the slips for the items and the TV that was in the paper did not come in. I flipped out ... They gave a rain check for when it arrived that I could get it at the BF price ( which was a few weeks later ) but I sat in line to get it that day.. 

• Like 1

Yes, Kmart and I was there for about 8 hours. I wanted this TV that was on sell and I knew they would only have about 3 so I had to get it, but to my surprise they open the door and came out to pass out the slips for the items and the TV that was in the paper did not come in. I flipped out ... They gave a rain check for when it arrived that I could get it at the BF price ( which was a few weeks later ) but I sat in line to get it that day.. 

Oh, I can imagine the steam boiling up when they told you they didn't have the TVs.....and then flurry of mixed emotions when they told you you'd get a rain check to get it:

• "I waited this whole time and don't get it today"
  • "At least I get one"
  • "Hmmmm, will it actually come in?"
  • "How was it not here in time; it's not like Black Friday just snuck up on you?"
  • "Well, at least now I get to go to other stores"
  • Like 2

When I first started BF shopping back when sales started at 6am on Friday morning, I went to Value City and stood in line in freezing temperatures to be one of the first 100 shoppers in the door to get a $20.00 cash certificate. My Mom and I were numbers 100 and 101. So mom got the $20 cash and I got an extra 20% off certificate which turned out to be a better deal because I bought so much that day. That wasn't first by any means but one of my most memorable BFs. 

I was third in line at Walmart for a portable TV for the car several years ago and that turned out to be a scary thing. When they cut the bubble wrap of the pallet, a large guy about 4 people behind me jumped forward and smashed me and others into our shopping carts. 

Small town so yep.

We have a walgreens here and I'm first in line usually most every Thanksgiving. I get up, get the Turkey ready and going, get anything else I can prepared and going and I head to walgreens. Some years there are a few cars waiting but nobody usually gets out til right before they open LOL. Its cold here usually.

There have been small lines before, maybe 10-15 minutes. Weather could be anything from snow/sleet and 20s to warm and sunny in the 60s. Gotta love Southern Illinois! LOL

Ive been the first in line at my local Target store the past couple of years. I usually get there around 6am and its 3-4 hours before anyone else gets there, I take all my electronics with me so I have something to pass the time and read the site here for those last minute deals and do some online shopping, connect to the Target wifi hehe

• Like 1

I'm first in line at Dollar General, 3 years in a row. I go for the cheap ornaments and the b1g1 75% off toys. I usually do most of my angel tree gifts there. Earlier there's a better selection.

I also like saying I was the 1st one there, don't really need to be but it's fun and safer the Walmart!

• Like 2

I've been first in line at Target (small town) a few times. Usually we've only had to arrive about 2-3 hours before they open. Unfortunately, that Target was part of the multiple-store closing earlier this year. Even worse, we want to get two TVs this time around and will probably have to try the Target in a larger town near us which is always packed on BF. 

I am in a very large city, i show up early thanksgiving morning before most even start to wake up. most people here dont show up till around noon, last year, i think there was only 5 of us in line around noon after that is when the line really started to grow

Kmart is a crap-shoot...every year there is a big ticket item that is advertised that didn't come in...of course they know what they will be selling for BF well in advance so I am not sure why they go through this every year, but they are one of the most frustrating stores to shop @ during BF...

• Like 2

First in line at Kohls last year.

Was sitting there for about 2 1/2 hours

Warmest upstate NY in years

Totally worth it.  Used their free wifi to shop for additional savings and look at ads.  They gave out 2 free movie passes to first 50 people in line.  Was able to talk with manager and find out they priced matched Beats, then I got Kohls cash on them which saved me $$$$$.

• Like 2

Totally worth it.  Used their free wifi to shop for additional savings and look at ads.  They gave out 2 free movie passes to first 50 people in line.  Was able to talk with manager and find out they priced matched Beats, then I got Kohls cash on them which saved me $$$$$.

I did not know that they priced matched

I live in Western NY and it was absolutely beautiful last TG, I went shopping in my GD hoodie and wanted to take it off in the store as it was way too hot, but I only had on a skimpy tank under it....hoping for the same this year as we are still having 70 degree weather in October here in Buffalo...but it is Buffalo so that could all change by tomorrow...lol...one can always hope...

Oh, I can imagine the steam boiling up when they told you they didn't have the TVs.....and then flurry of mixed emotions when they told you you'd get a rain check to get it:

• "I waited this whole time and don't get it today"
  • "At least I get one"
  • "Hmmmm, will it actually come in?"
  • "How was it not here in time; it's not like Black Friday just snuck up on you?"
  • "Well, at least now I get to go to other stores"

Yes I was beyond livid. Now mind you I had knee surgery earlier that year and the cold weather was killing me.... I went off, but kept it respectful for the most part. They could have easily put a sign up on the door or said something earlier as they are open on Thanksgiving and I was there that morning for some deals too before Family time started. 

• Like 1

I have been 1st in line a few times at K Mart's TG sale. One year it was for gameboy's for my 3 dtr's. When I got to electronics to get them the employee said it was a limit of 1 per person because they didn't have many in stock. After much debate, because the limit was not printed in the ad, the manager who knew I had been waiting for hours finally gave me 3. The next year they started handing out tickets before they opened on the big items and enforced the 1 per person limit.
  • Like 1

I've been first in line mostly for Best Buy, however I have been first for Old Navy, Kaybee Toys, Kmart, Gander Mountain, etc over the years. In fact I have been first for Best Buy AND Old Navy in the same year, lol. Got on the line for Best Buy a few days early, and then set up a chair near the Old Navy store and had my wife sit there since we were already established as first for Best Buy and no one was going to argue that she was in fact there first. It is fun but it gets cold in New York some years. I have a tent, propane heaters, mini generator, and of course WiFi with my tablets, laptops, and cell phones, lol. The photo I have for this site is just one of the many years I was interviewed by the local paper for being first at Best Buy.