Out of town for Black Friday?

stina629

Hi guys!

Ever since I started heavily participating in Black Friday, I have been in my hometown. I know all the ins and outs of which Target to go to and where to park and what fast food restaurants are open, when to go to the next town over, who has the better stock, etc.

This year, I am anticipating possibly being out-of-town visiting my in-laws. I know that my sisters-in-law are pretty into Black Friday, but it's mainly for toys for their kids, whereas I'm usually shopping for adults. 

Does anyone have any advice for tackling Black Friday in an entirely new place? I know that the deals will be the same across the country, but I am definitely nervous about being in an area I am not familiar with.

Thanks in advance! :)

We have done it while out of town. Just get your plan ready and know where the stores are so you can plan your routes. If you get a chance wander through some of the stores before the big day just so you know the general layout of the store. More than anything just have fun :)

I have done more Black Fridays out of town than the number I have done in my area.  Once I know where I will be, I search for store locations on Google Map and create a custom map of them.  I check out the stores closest to where I will be staying, but also consider going a bit further if there is an area where most or all of the national stores I am interested in are concentrated.  Doing BF in a different area adds to the fun and adventure of it.

Some of our trips have been to visit family, but last year we went somewhere else (Burlington VT) just to get away.  We will be doing the same this year, but am not sure where.

I have always spent Thanksgiving and therefore BF at my grandparents. Now that they have both left us I will be spending Thanksgiving and BF in my home city for the first time. I am familiar with the store layouts and multiple routes to get to them. Due to the size of my city we have multiples of most major stores. Any suggestions on how to figure out which ones I should go to besides physical location (and proximity to other stores I'm interested in hitting)? I have no idea which ones draw the bigger crowds or if one usually has better in store stock supplies/availability for BF items. Any suggestion on how to figure that out? Edited by budgetsRsexy

I have reservations for a hotel in the middle of nowhere. My plan is to rely on the inlaws try to get the giant aquarium we need and do the rest online. I will see if this year's sales are worth it before I make any concrete plans, though. I was disappointed last year.

Not sure the details on this "giant aquarium", but I ordered mine from Petsmart online 2 years ago and picked it up in store the next day. I think you even get an extra % off for ordering online and picking up in store, too.

I have always spent Thanksgiving and therefore BF at my grandparents. Now that they have both left us I will be spending Thanksgiving and BF in my home city for the first time. I am familiar with the store layouts and multiple routes to get to them. Due to the size of my city we have multiples of most major stores. Any suggestions on how to figure out which ones I should go to besides physical location (and proximity to other stores I'm interested in hitting)? I have no idea which ones draw the bigger crowds or if one usually has better in store stock supplies/availability for BF items. Any suggestion on how to figure that out?

Generally the 'super' stores (bigger ones!) are the best bet. They will be more crowded, but have a better variety. A few years back, I went to the smaller meijer on one side of town and found that they didn't have any of the clothes deals that were listed. The electronics were there, but in much smaller quantities too! Since then we have been going to the super meijer on the other side, and love it! I'm sure other stores are very similar.

• Like 1

Not sure the details on this "giant aquarium", but I ordered mine from Petsmart online 2 years ago and picked it up in store the next day. I think you even get an extra % off for ordering online and picking up in store, too.

It is 125 gallons and a little too long to fit in our car, but we can probably jerry-rig something or try to borrow someone's van. I have been looking online because you get another $50 off if you order online and pick up in store, but the one I want isn't available to order online and the 2nd best is available online but not at any store within 100 miles of me. I'm keeping my eyes open so I can order and do the pickup myself, but so far no luck. I'm hoping Petsmart still does the 50% off large aquariums as they have been doing the last 2 years, or this is all for nothing!

It is 125 gallons and a little too long to fit in our car, but we can probably jerry-rig something or try to borrow someone's van. I have been looking online because you get another $50 off if you order online and pick up in store, but the one I want isn't available to order online and the 2nd best is available online but not at any store within 100 miles of me. I'm keeping my eyes open so I can order and do the pickup myself, but so far no luck. I'm hoping Petsmart still does the 50% off large aquariums as they have been doing the last 2 years, or this is all for nothing!

Yup, that's exactly where I went. Got the 75G at 50% 2 years ago.  Usually you can find someone with a vehicle when you're not in a time crunch and can pick it up the next day, or even over the weekend.  We'll see (probably still 3 weeks away) when the PetSmart ad comes out.

I was just thinking about this! We are moving to the Destin, Fl area in about 3 weeks. I have no idea where to begin!! I'm reading and rereading these posts :)

Do a search on Google Maps for key stores that you are interested in (based on the ads or past experience) in that part of Florida and find a good concentration of stores to focus on.  You may find that it is worthwhile to travel west to Pensacola or east to Panama City where more of the retailers are located, than staying in the Destin area for Black Friday.

Edited by mcwalker