Ghosts of Black Fridays past

jaymacfla

Do you have any favorite stores and memories from stores that are no longer around? Do you think that there are enough voids created by their departure to influence your shopping inclinations or to make you feel nostalgic for the "good ole days"?

One of my favorites was CompUSA and they will be missed. What was your favorite?

I really miss having a Shopko and a Target in town. It's a 40 minute drive to get to either one. Black Friday shopping in town just isn't the same without them. I pretty much just stop at Kohls to shop on Black Friday before heading out of town. :(

I miss Comp USA! They were always good.

I miss Circuit City; that's where I got my first TV on BF 11 years ago (so really just for the nostalgia).

I miss it being easy to get the snow globes at JC Penney. They changed it that you have to come at a certain time, and then did away with them entirely..

• Like 3

CompUSA used to come out and greet the customers with a smile, flyers/ads and hot chocolate back when they still had decent management that cared about their customers. They were also the pioneers of the safe and sane Black Friday experience. Tickets were handed out and line etiquette was enforced.

I miss the 72 hr shopathon at Garden Ridge (now At Home)- they were open 72 hrs straight!   We would start there at 3am before we went to the 5/6 am openings.

YES!  This was part of our tradition for YEARS.  We would go on Thursday night, after we were through looking at the ads and making our plans for Friday morning.

This thread made me start thinking about some of the old stores. Looks like some of them are making comebacks. Montgomery Ward was bought by Swiss Colony and is now an online retailer. Looks like someone bought Circuit City (not the Tiger Direct name stuff) and is trying to reopen retail locations with it.

I definitely miss KB Toys...I have fond memories of the location at a local mall; they would hand you big clear trash bags as you entered. You would pick up your stuff in the center of the store and since the check-out line snaked through each aisle, you would shop while you were in line. Great times!!
  • Like 1

I remember when stores actually cometed for the best items at the lowest prices. Since Circuit City closed, those days are fading. I still get on line first, but more out of habit and the love of the hunt, besides, it's fun to camp out for a few nights a year, lol.

• Like 1

Almost forgot... I remember when the Black Friday ads weren't as top secret and they didn't threaten legal action against onyone posting the ad before they allowed it, lol. To think only 1 ad has been posted with only 5 weeks til Black Friday is very upsetting. Soon the ads will be coming a few at a time, but I still like to plan things out weeks in advance, lol.

Edited by TazErase

KB Toys is the one I miss the most but Brownlee Jewelers was my go to spot for gift for my girlfriend ( now wife ) decent and cheap for young love - Now its Jareds  :woot2:

KB Toys is why I first began Black Friday shopping! Since then it has become an addiction, and I have been doing Black Friday for about 21 or 22 years now. Finally getting back into it after a few rough years though. 2013 I was in Florida helping my dad at a hospital there and got back just in time. In 2014 I would normally have been on line by Tuesday before, but instead I was at my father's funeral. Last year I just didn't have the heart for the camping, but still went, but this year I intend to return with a vengence even though the items I am looking for are not the quickest items to sell out, lol. Just the addiction to being first and being in the paper as usual.

• Like 2