Thanksgiving Shopping - More Stores Closing?

Kanyon71

I know many of us have voiced our opinion on this either against or for it but I found this very interesting.

Was just looking at a local paper and ran across this article.

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2016/10/mall_thanksgiving_hours_michig.html#incart_river_home

Largest shopping mall in the US is closing for the day this year The Mall Of America says it will be closed the entire day for all 1,200 hours and that they will reopen as of 5am on Black Friday.

They are saying this could be very influential across the retail scene.

• Like 3

I heard about this on a local radio show this morning, but I think the key to this story is inside this article.

While its stores have the option to open on Thanksgiving, the significance of a  setting of that size saying "no" to the holiday hours could be influential across retail. The USA Today article called it "bold."

I think we'll have to wait and see if most of the stores decide to close or not.  Personally I don't care one way or another, but I would be okay with the sales shifting back to Friday again.

• Like 2

I would love the whole black friday experience again. My mom and I had a ton of fun and I'd love to show my daughter whats it like to do it like we did back in the day. I also do love the fact that I dont have to get a babysitter cause my husband is still home when we shop on Thanksgiving. Its hard to find someone to come over at 2am (and he leaves for work around that time) lol

• Like 1

We don't go out on Thanksgiving. All the shopping that gets done at that point is online only. I have resigned myself to the fact that we won't get door busters any longer since they are no longer on Friday. So I stay up late working on stuff and grab the things that pop up online as I see them. If they switch back to Friday I'm all for it will bring back some of what has been missing the past couple of years.

Though I have to say the stores are much less busy when we get to them early Friday now lol.

• Like 2

I agree... I hope stores will follow suit and allow there employees time off to spend with there family. Opening early morning on black friday is the way to go. I refuse to put a deal before my family. The main reason I go out is for them so to skip out on family time would be counter productive to the very thing I claim to be " FAMILY MAN ". I prefer to cut  back and pay regular price than for one of my DD to tell me 10 years later I wish you was there when....instead of at a store.  Just my thoughts 

I have a CVS that is literally within walking distance of my house (it's like 3 blocks away), so I go there on Thanksgiving.  I also shop on Amazon on Thanksgiving.  But that's about it...  I'm certainly not going to camp out on Turkey Day, I'll leave that to the die-hards...

This will be my 10th year camping out and 12th year being in line on Thanksgiving. This has always been my choice and nobody ever cared until the switch, then the blame game started. The media even tried to insinuate that campers were the actual cause! Think how absurd that is. We are one to two percent of the shoppers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using GottaDeal mobile app

• Like 2

This will be my 10th year camping out and 12th year being in line on Thanksgiving. This has always been my choice and nobody ever cared until the switch, then the blame game started. The media even tried to insinuate that campers were the actual cause! Think how absurd that is. We are one to two percent of the shoppers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using GottaDeal mobile app

I don't blame campers at all for it. No matter what day the sales start on the hardcore will be there well before that.

I have been shopping BF since 1998.  Kmart was the only store open on Tday for shopping early- then they would close and reopen on BF for more sales. I LOVED getting up early and not everyone knew about Black Friday- it was like a club!  When I finally convinced my mom and sister to go they were hooked!  I do love online shopping now early on Thanksgiving morning and get my "fix" of early BF line waiting and excitement when I go to PetSmart Friday morning!  New and different can be good also. 

Edited by jewleyp

I have been shopping BF since 1998.  Kmart was the only store open on Tday for shopping early- then they would close and reopen on BF for more sales. I LOVED getting up early and not everyone knew about Black Friday- it was like a club!  When I finally convinced my mom and sister to go they were hooked!  I do love online shopping now early on Thanksgiving morning and get my "fix" of early BF line waiting and excitement when I go to PetSmart Friday morning!  New and different can be good also. 

I think I miss that the most. When it wasn't so popular.

• Like 2

Some people will always want to be out there no matter the day, more power to them. For some this is what they do on Thanksgiving. Myself and my family we all prefer to have a good meal, watch some football and just generally talk. After all that we tend to plot our Friday plans out and figure out who's going and who's watching kid's and so forth. I wish many of them would get back to the Friday just so I can get excited about getting a doorbuster again :)

I would prefer it to be on Friday after all the shopping day is called Black Friday, having sales start on Thanksgiving Day defeats the purpose of it.

I am happy to see more and more store are deciding to close on Thanksgiving, but its going to take a major retailer to do so for the others to follow

• Like 3

I am happy to see more and more store are deciding to close on Thanksgiving, but its going to take a major retailer to do so for the others to follow

I feel like it will take several major retailers to stop being open on Thursday/Thanksgiving to get enough momentum to get everyone else to consider switching to Friday openings again. It's almost like a peer pressure kind of situation, you don't want to be the one jerk that is open on the holiday but so long as others are doing it you can get away with it. Although one major retailer would be applauded, I don't think it will be enough to influence the rest, but you never know (especially once social media picks stuff like this up). My fingers will be crossed though as I much preferred going out early Friday.

Edited by budgetsRsexy
  • Like 1

I prefer the old way of getting in line at 2am and shopping on Friday. In recent years I've done most my shopping online though.

I prefer the old way also. It's like, it's no fun any more. I will admit, I used to go to Kmart on Thanksgiving Day for their sale, but having the actual BF sales on Thanksgiving is a real turn off for me. Just like a previous poster said, if ppl didn't show up, they wouldn't open. Not bashing anyone or trying to sound negative, I just wish Black Friday would go back to its original meaning.

• Like 1

It's a matter of money to many stores - more so than anything to do with tradition/family - they are out for the almighty dollar... if they can get your money first - before Black Friday - some are going to do it  - no matter what... SAD - but true.

Honestly more than getting your dollar I think it's going to come down to that it's costing them more to be open than it is to just wait until 5am on Friday to open with the rest of them. K-Mart has been open on Thursday for a long time, I don't go but people I know who have said it's just like any other day only 2 people working in the store (yes I know this is an exaggeration) so it's not like it cost's them a whole lot and with the way they are heading this could end up being their last holiday season closing left and right around here.

• Like 1

I have been shopping on TG @ Kmart for years...way before the other stores started to follow suit and they have every register open, but it's a crap shoot with them, they may not have the advertised product in the store at the time of the BF sale...while I miss the Friday BF morning frenzy I absolutely do not mind not having to stand outside for hours in the cold or rain, I live in Buffalo and if you don't know we can get some pretty brutal weather at anytime, lol...

• Like 2

I have been shopping on TG @ Kmart for years...way before the other stores started to follow suit and they have every register open, but it's a crap shoot with them, they may not have the advertised product in the store at the time of the BF sale...while I miss the Friday BF morning frenzy I absolutely do not mind not having to stand outside for hours in the cold or rain, I live in Buffalo and if you don't know we can get some pretty brutal weather at anytime, lol...

I have not been there on Thursday but have been in them on BF before. I know normal parts of the year it's like Home Depot lately. Impossible to find someone who works there. Then when you do find someone they seem to know nothing about what you need.

Ya when I was living in FL we got spoiled by the nice weather while out shopping. Would need a jacket some days then by 7am-8am I was removing layers since it was now hot out lol. Here in MI it's COLD out. We make sure to take a good thermos of hot chocolate or coffee with us.

Edited by Kanyon71
  • Like 2

I know last year we stopped in our local walmart just after midnight (BF morning) and the place was dead. Cashiers standing around talking. The cashier who checked us out asked us to call all our friends and family and tell them to go to walmart to shop.

I know last year we stopped in our local walmart just after midnight (BF morning) and the place was dead. Cashiers standing around talking. The cashier who checked us out asked us to call all our friends and family and tell them to go to walmart to shop.

And you, in turn, told the cashier "No, I like my friends" as to not subject them to WM on BF?   :sidesplit

Since WM has started staggering their door busters, there's quite often time where WM will be extremely dead. It's busy during the DB and then the fallout of the 90 minutes after to get everyone checked out, but then it dies down til the next one because everyone goes to shop elsewhere.