Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Universal Portable Hard Drive?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Fishboysmom  OFFLINE  

Fishboysmom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,773 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2016 - 7:38 am

My dd needs this for college.

School uses Mac and her computer is Windows 10. Professor said she needs a Universal portable hard drive so she can transfer data from one computer to the other.

Would something like this be the correct one, and if not, does anyone know what I would need to get her?

Thanks!

StarTech 2TB External Serial ATA/600 Hard Drive Enclosure With UASP

#2 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,061 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 2, 2016 - 9:05 am

that just is an enclosure not a HD that you need

#3 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,028 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 2, 2016 - 9:51 am

How much data is being transferred? What type of data? is there a reason why she can't use a USB drive? 

GO BRUINS!

#4 bluebear  OFFLINE  

bluebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2016 - 12:00 pm

Something like this would work. (I didn't look for the best deal/size, just grabbed from the top of the list from Amazon. I've gotten good deals on woot for external usb drives.)
https://www.amazon.c...HbIL&ref=plSrch
It comes formatted in NTFS to work on a PC, but it will have to be reformatted in FAT32 for it to work on Mac and PC. Note though, that FAT32 has a 4gb (I think) file size limit.

#5 Fishboysmom  OFFLINE  

Fishboysmom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,773 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2016 - 8:34 pm

How much data is being transferred? What type of data? is there a reason why she can't use a USB drive? 

Needs to be at least 1TB.  This is for videos that she will be making.  She needs to be able to transfer them from Mac to Windows 10 and vice versa. 

Edited by Fishboysmom, Oct 2, 2016 - 8:49 pm.

#6 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,597 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 3, 2016 - 5:41 am

I would have her check and see if the have an NTFS driver installed on the MAC. If not the drive can be formatted to HFS+ and you can install an HFS+ driver on the Mac, paragon makes drivers for both setups. They charge last I remember it was around $20 for the driver but Paragon is a pretty solid company and their software is usually pretty solid.

#7 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,016 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 3, 2016 - 8:57 am

Have you considered a cloud-based solution?

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

Amazon's is unlimited storage for about $5/mo.  Depending on how long you need it, it's probably a whole lot cheaper than a hardware solution and loads simpler.

There's also Box and Dropbox and many others I'm sure.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#8 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,061 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 3, 2016 - 10:19 am

I have 50GB on my dropbox account for free

#9 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,597 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 3, 2016 - 11:14 am

Have you considered a cloud-based solution?

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

Amazon's is unlimited storage for about $5/mo.  Depending on how long you need it, it's probably a whole lot cheaper than a hardware solution and loads simpler.

There's also Box and Dropbox and many others I'm sure.

Only problem with Cloud is you have to have internet when you need the files. That and call me old fashioned when it comes to tech, I'm not real fond of my files sitting out there :)

#10 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,016 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 3, 2016 - 12:45 pm

I hear ya.  But these days, where can you go, especially on campus, and not have wifi?

And I wouldn't be keeping private stuff on there, like tax returns or other things that could be used to steal my identity.  But for school projects, I think it might be a good solution.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#11 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,597 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 3, 2016 - 1:09 pm

I hear ya.  But these days, where can you go, especially on campus, and not have wifi?

And I wouldn't be keeping private stuff on there, like tax returns or other things that could be used to steal my identity.  But for school projects, I think it might be a good solution.

Very true, my only other thought on it might be the file sizes, but if you are on a good high speed connection you can grab a 1GB+ files fairly fast.

#12 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 12, 2016 - 4:11 am

A cloud based solution would probably be fine, unless the files are going to be 10s of GB in size.  BUT, she needs to get one that is "teacher" approved.  My company blocks all cloud solutions except for the one "approved".  It would be terrible if she picked the wrong solution.  Also, the internet on campus may possibly end up being over-saturated and become slow.  What happens if the local access point goes out?  Bye Bye data plan...

#13 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• 4,285 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 8, 2016 - 8:17 pm

I would use Seagate drive.  

I am a creative that uses a mac for video and need to load it onto Windows machines.  Seagates have worked best for me,

#14 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,028 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Nov 9, 2016 - 7:36 am

A cloud based solution would probably be fine, unless the files are going to be 10s of GB in size.  BUT, she needs to get one that is "teacher" approved.  My company blocks all cloud solutions except for the one "approved".  It would be terrible if she picked the wrong solution.  Also, the internet on campus may possibly end up being over-saturated and become slow.  What happens if the local access point goes out?  Bye Bye data plan...

Actually a lot of universities are going towards a cloud based storage solution for their students, active while they are enrolled.  A lot of universities have switched to gmail to provide the backbone service for their email, and students get free Google Drive access, so there might be a solution in there.

GO BRUINS!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users