New Recipes Wanted

Elmck

Throughout the years here on Gottadeal I have come across some amazing recipes from many of you. I am looking for more family holiday favorites. You know the ones you only fix for special days. I want to try some new things this year and I am hoping some of you will share. PLEASE!!!!!

We have been making this recipe for Christmas Brunch for at least the past 6-7 years. It's a recipe from Paula Deen so you know it's not good for you. I leave out the corn syrup in the topping though (honestly to me didn't add anything). We do this and a hashbrown casserole, usually some sausage and bacon. Everyone loves it and for me I made it the night before and then just took it all out and put it in to bake the next morning. That way all I had to worry about cooking was some sausage and bacon.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-french-toast-casserole-with-maple-syrup-recipe2.html

• Like 2

My family loves this for breakfast and throughout the day, with or without the cheese.  I actually make it year round for myself. 

Hint:  I've had trouble in the past getting the bottom layer of crescent dough to cook once the filling is in there so I started cooking the bottom layer first, while cooking the sausage and cream cheese mixture.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/sausage-and-cheese-crescent-squares/f2b22bde-19e4-4447-aa99-30e90ee5a38f

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled this recipe from the people who make my smoker. I'm going to try it out here very shortly to see how it comes out. If it's really good then I'll smoke this version instead of the one I did last year which used a citrus brine.

Cider Brined Smoked Turkey Breast:

• 6 cups apple cider
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp allspice
  • 1/3 cup kosher salt
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 4 cups ice water
  • 1 turkey breast
  • 1/2 cup plus two tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • Favorite Rub

Preparation

Brine: Combine 4 cups of the apple cider, garlic cloves, brown sugar, allspice, salt, and bay leaves in a large pot. Simmer on stove top for 5 minutes, stirring often.

Take off stove top and add in the ice water. Place turkey in the brine and add water as needed until the turkey is fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Cider glaze: Boil the remaining 2 cups of apple cider in a saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes. Whisk in butter. Cool completely. Note: The glaze can be prepared the night before when you make the brine.

After turkey has brined overnight, drain turkey and rinse.

Using your fingers, take two tablespoons of the softened butter and smear it under the skin of the breast. Lightly season the turkey breast with the Rub.

Start the Smoker, and bring up to 325 degrees F.

Cook turkey until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (about 3-4 hrs). After the first 20 minutes of cooking, brush turkey with the cider glaze.

If the breast starts to get too dark, cover it with foil. Let stand 30 minutes, slice and serve.

• Like 2

This is my MIL's recipe that she shared with me as they are my husbands favorite. I think she would be happy to know that they may become a part of someone else's family tradition:

Press Cookies

1 Cup softened margarine

3 oz. softened cream cheese

1 Cup sugar

1 egg yolk

Cream above "wet" ingredients together.

2 1/2 Cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix dry ingredients together and add dry ingredients in batches to mixer bowl containing the wet ingredients.

1 teaspoon almond flavor

Add to mixer bowl and mix all ingredients until well blended. Add cookie dough to press and form cookies.

Bake pressed cookies at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until cookies just barely begin to brown.

PS. I use the oxo good grips cookie press because it takes the guess work out of how much cookie dough to use per cookie.

Edited by budgetsRsexy
  • Like 2

Maple glazed Brussels sprouts with bacon (who knew these vegetables could taste good!)

Ingredients

1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

4 slices raw bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I usually add more slices as my husband loves bacon)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Place Brussels sprouts in a single layer in a baking dish or tinfoil covered cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup; toss to coat (sometimes I toss in a ziplock bad to get a better coating and then empty onto a cookie sheet in a single layer). Sprinkle with bacon; season with salt and black pepper.

Roast in the preheated oven until bacon is crispy and Brussels sprouts are caramelized, 45 minutes, stirring halfway through.

NOTE: I cut my sprouts in half so that the maple syrup has more surface area to coat. Doing this may mean you will want to reduce the cooking time a little but it really depends on the oven. Just keep an eye on them so the syrup/sugar coating doesn't get burnt :)

Edited by budgetsRsexy
  • Like 3

Maple glazed Brussels sprouts with bacon (who knew these vegetables could taste good!)

Ingredients

4 slices raw bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I usually add more slices as my husband loves bacon)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Place Brussels sprouts in a single layer in a baking dish or tinfoil covered cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup; toss to coat (sometimes I toss in a ziplock bad to get a better coating and then empty onto a cookie sheet in a single layer). Sprinkle with bacon; season with salt and black pepper.

Roast in the preheated oven until bacon is crispy and Brussels sprouts are caramelized, 45 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Can you use frozen brussel sprouts?? These sound really good

Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

I may have to try this recipe!!!!

• Like 1

This is my MIL's recipe that she shared with me as they are my husbands favorite. I think she would be happy to know that they may become a part of someone else's family tradition:

Press Cookies

1 Cup softened margarine

1 Cup sugar

1 egg yolk

2 1/2 Cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix dry ingredients together and add dry ingredients in batches to mixer bowl containing the wet ingredients.

1 teaspoon almond flavor

Add to mixer bowl and mix all ingredients until well blended. Add cookie dough to press and form cookies.

Bake pressed cookies at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until cookies just barely begin to brown.

PS. I use the oxo good grips cookie press because it takes the guess work out of how much cookie dough to use per cookie.

I think we will be giving these a try this year.

• Like 1

This is a tried and true I make for Thanksgiving every year!  

Herb Cream Cheese Crescents

1 Tb Dried Chives

1 Tsp Dried Dill

2 small Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed (Or Garlic Powder to taste)

Onion Powder to taste

½ tsp Dried Parsley or 1 T Fresh

8 oz Cream Cheese, Softened

1 box Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed in fridge overnight

Mix herbs with cream cheese.  Roll out first sheet of puff pastry until it is as large as possible without making dough too thin. I sprinkle my rolling surface well with flour. Cut into 3 long rectangles.  (Pizza cutter works great for this)  Cut each rectangle into 3 squares.  Cut each square into 2 triangles.

Spread all triangles with cream cheese mixture.  Roll up each triangle starting at wide end.  Form into crescent and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Repeat with other puff pastry sheet.

Once all crescents are formed they can be covered and placed in fridge until time of baking.

Can brush with egg wash or a little milk just prior to popping in oven to get a better golden brown color on baked crescents.

Oven = 400

Bake approx. 10 -12 minutes or until just golden brown.

Edited by AuntJamelle
  • Like 3

I make this for the holidays every year as well.  I love that I can make them ahead and freeze, then just pull out and throw in the oven for parties, etc.

Pioneer Woman Cheddar Puffs

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/cheese-puffs/

Another appetizer recipe I make every year is a Blue Cheese Ball.  The secret is in the butter!  I've had cheeseballs with butter and without and by far the ones with butter just seem to be better! In fact I'll add at least a half stick of softened butter to other recipes that don't necessarily call for it - hey, it's the holidays! lol

Blue Cheese Ball

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temp

8 oz cream cheese, softened

4 oz. crumbled blue cheese, room temp

1/4 cup finely chopped green onion (or you can sub a couple tablespoons of freeze dried chives instead)

1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1/8 tsp garlic powder

4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 tsp brown sugar

Very important that butter, cream cheese and blue cheese are all at room temp!  Stir together butter, cheeses, onion and seasonings until well blended.  Press into a small bowl lined with plastic wrap (like a cereal bowl). Chill at least 8 hours or overnight.  You must do this or it won't have good flavor.

Before serving, make topping:  Combine sugar and pecans in a non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray.  Cook until the sugar melts and the pecans began to toast.  Add the bacon and stir.  Remove from heat and cool.

Invert cheeseball onto serving plate.  Press bacon pecan mixture on top of the cheese, covering well.  Serve with crackers, etc.

Okay, last one!  Made this for our Christmas party last year and people went nuts!  I'm making it again this year and will have enough for a double batch!

Pomegranate-Champagne Punch

·         1/2 cup water

·         1/2 cup sugar

·         2 750-ml bottles chilled brut Champagne

·         1 1/2 cups white rum

·         1 1/4 cups pomegranate juice

·         1 large lemon, thinly sliced

·         Pomegranate seeds

·         Fresh mint leaves

·         1 ice block

·         Bring 1/2 cup water and sugar to boil in small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer 5 minutes. Cool syrup completely.

·         Combine Champagne, rum, and pomegranate juice in punch bowl. Add enough syrup to sweeten to taste. Mix in lemon slices, pomegranate seeds, and mint leaves. Add ice block to bowl.

Edited by AuntJamelle
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I will be making this Tues for a work meeting looks so yummy 

Streusel-Topped Blueberry Waffle Casserole Recipe

http://cdn1.tmbi.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/300x300/exps191555_TH163620C11_18_4b.jpg

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
MAKES: 12 servings
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until blended. Place half of the waffle pieces in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drop cream cheese mixture by tablespoonfuls over waffles. Layer with blueberries and remaining waffles.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon until blended; pour over waffles. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until set and top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.

Ingredients
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 15 frozen waffles, thawed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • STREUSEL:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans 
  • Like 1

Does anybody have a really good receipe for bread dressing? Not cornbread, but bread. Preferably one without any usual additions.

thank you!

Dressing

Dried bread cubes (I toast mine in oven and use close to full loaf. Can use white or french bread or combo)

1 onion, diced

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 t. sage

1/2 stick butter, melted and divided

1 egg, beaten

1 can cream of mushroom soup

Salt and pepper

Chicken broth to moisten (or broth from turkey)

Saute onion and celery in a couple of tablespoons of butter until tender. Add sage, salt and pepper. Combine with remaining ingredients except broth and bread in large bowl. Add bread and mix. Moisten with broth and mix well. Mixture should be moist but not mushy. Pour in buttered casserole dish and bake at 350° for an hour.

• Like 3

Corn pudding

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix

1/2 cup 2% milk

1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained

1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn

Directions

Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream. Gradually add muffin mix alternately with milk. Fold in corn.

Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.

• Like 1

This is my favorite creamed corn recipe:

2 pkgs (20 oz) frozen corn kernels (i usually do one white and one yellow)

8 oz whipping cream

8 oz milk

1 tsp salt

6 tsp sugar

pinch white pepper (or cayenne)

2 tbsp melted butter

2 tbsp flour

Combine all but last 2 ingredients in a pot and bring to boil.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Blend butter with flour, add to the corn, mix well and remove from heat.  

It's REALLY good and very simple.

• Like 2

Biscohito cookies (made with lard for the most authentic taste)

Posole....... 

and making tamales with extended family....mmmm.... Christmas in New Mexico. 

I will dig around for the recipes I use - a lot of my stuff is currently in boxes.

In the meantime - you might check out this page - their recipes are pretty close :)

http://www.visitalbuquerque.org/albuquerque/cuisine/recipes/holiday-recipes/

I posted the link over in the Thanksgiving meal thread, but we stumbled on this awesome sweet potato bake recipe a few years ago and now it's quickly becoming a mandatory piece of our Thanksgiving meals. (Source: allrecipes.com)

Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic

Ingredients:

(Main)

- 5 sweet potatoes

- 1/4 t. salt

- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter

- 2 eggs

- 1 t. vanilla extract

- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon

- 1/2 c. white sugar

- 2 T. heavy cream

(Topping)

- 1/4 c. butter, softened (use other 1/2 stick)

- 3 T. all-purpose flour

- 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar

- 1/2 c. chopped pecans

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350* F. Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish.

2) Bake sweet potatoes35 minutes in preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.

3) In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

4) In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of a coarse meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.

5) Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.

(Fair warning - This is sweet enough to pretty much be dessert. It tastes basically like a good sweet potato pie, minus the crust.)

I posted the link over in the Thanksgiving meal thread, but we stumbled on this awesome sweet potato bake recipe a few years ago and now it's quickly becoming a mandatory piece of our Thanksgiving meals. (Source: allrecipes.com)

Gourmet Sweet Potato Classic

Ingredients:

(Main)

- 5 sweet potatoes

- 1/4 t. salt

- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter

- 2 eggs

- 1 t. vanilla extract

- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon

- 1/2 c. white sugar

- 2 T. heavy cream

(Topping)

- 1/4 c. butter, softened (use other 1/2 stick)

- 3 T. all-purpose flour

- 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar

- 1/2 c. chopped pecans

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350* F. Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish.

2) Bake sweet potatoes35 minutes in preheated oven, or until they begin to soften. Cool slightly, peel, and mash.

3) In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and heavy cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

4) In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and pecans. Mix with a pastry blender or your fingers to the consistency of a coarse meal. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.

5) Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until topping is crisp and lightly browned.

(Fair warning - This is sweet enough to pretty much be dessert. It tastes basically like a good sweet potato pie, minus the crust.)

Sounds a lot like the one I make, I boil the potatoes instead of bake though. VERY good.

• Like 1

Press Cookies

1 Cup softened margarine

1 Cup sugar

1 egg yolk

2 1/2 Cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon almond flavor

So I didn't know what a spritz cookie or a cookie press was until you posted this. You'll be tickled to know that me and my friend went shopping tonight, and BOTH came back with an oxo cookie press, and will be making these cookies! I am so excited, thank you!
  • Like 1

Chocolate-Filled Breakfast Crescents Recipe

112_en-us_large.jpg

THINGS YOU'LL NEED
  • 2 cans (8 oz. each) refrigerated quick crescent dinner rolls
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
  •  CHOCOLATE GLAZE (recipe follows)
HOW TO MAKE
  • 1. Heat oven to 375°F. Separate crescent dough into 16 triangles.
  • 2. Beat butter in small bowl until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until well blended. Beat in milk and vanilla. Add cocoa; beat well. Stir in pecans.
  • 3. Spread slightly heaping teaspoon chocolate mixture on each triangle within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up; start at shortest side of triangle and roll to opposite point. Press all edges to seal completely. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet; curve slightly to form crescents.
  • 4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle CHOCOLATE GLAZE over top of crescents. 16 crescents.
  • CHOCOLATE GLAZE
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa and water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth. Add additional water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency. About 3/4 cup glaze.
  • Like 1

these are the ones we make every year Christmas Morning 

9d632729-276f-43e6-a043-7caa74e63d39.jpg

Ingredients

HERSHEY'S BLISS® Milk Chocolates, divided

can (8 oz.) Pillsbury™ refrigerated quick crescent dinner rolls 

Steps

• 1Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Chop 4 chocolates into small pieces; place in small microwave-safe bowl. Set aside.

• 2Unroll dough to form 8 triangles. Place 1 chocolate at center of wide end of each triangle. Starting at wide end, roll to opposite point; pinch edges to seal. Place rolls, pointed side down, on ungreased cookie sheet. Curve into crescent shape.

• 3Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Meanwhile, microwave reserved chopped chocolates at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred. Drizzle melted chocolate over warm crescents; allow to cool slightly. Serve while still slightly warm. 8 crescents.

• Like 2

The spritz cookie recipe I use 

http://images-gmi-pmc.edge-generalmills.com/089454e8-39af-48a4-ac4f-0b77f788e4ab.jpg

These delicate, crisp cookies have a rich, buttery flavor that’ll keep you coming back for more

Ingredients

cup butter, softened 

1/2

cup sugar

2 1/4

cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour

1/4

teaspoon salt

egg 

1/4

teaspoon almond extract or vanilla 

Food color, if desired 

Currants, raisins, candies, colored sugar, finely chopped nuts, candied fruit or fruit peel, if desired 

Directions
  • 1 Heat oven to 400ºF. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, salt, egg, almond extract and a few drops of food color.
  • 2 Place dough in cookie press. Form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate with currants.
  • 3 Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until set but not brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. To decorate cookies after baking, use a drop of corn syrup to attach decorations to cookies.

these are the ones we make every year Christmas Morning  9d632729-276f-43e6-a043-7caa74e63d39.jpg Ingredients
  12 HERSHEY'S BLISS® Milk Chocolates, divided 1 can (8 oz.) Pillsbury™ refrigerated quick crescent dinner rolls 
Steps
  • 1Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates. Chop 4 chocolates into small pieces; place in small microwave-safe bowl. Set aside.
  • 2Unroll dough to form 8 triangles. Place 1 chocolate at center of wide end of each triangle. Starting at wide end, roll to opposite point; pinch edges to seal. Place rolls, pointed side down, on ungreased cookie sheet. Curve into crescent shape.
  • 3Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Meanwhile, microwave reserved chopped chocolates at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred. Drizzle melted chocolate over warm crescents; allow to cool slightly. Serve while still slightly warm. 8 crescents.

Those look amazing!! I might surprise my parents on Christmas Eve morning with these!! 

There are multiple threads in the archives for the BF's past. You should be able to find them all in there :)

Some of them have been called different things I think, I believe the one from last year was like Holiday Menu or some such thing. Sorry I'm not being of more help lol.