Official Black Friday LAPTOPS Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

My daughter is wanting a laptop for Christmas.  She will 10 next month.  It will not be used for heavy gaming.  She is homeschooled and at least one or tow of her classes will be done completely online and it is possible that at least one class will be on DVD so it will need a CD/DVD drive as well.  Other uses will be typing papers and basic online games.

I am trying to decide whether to put one on layaway or wait until BF.  I can't spend over $300.00 but 250.00 or less would be better.

I will be buying myself a laptop for Christmas this year.  I usually shop for laptops on QVC.  They are my lifesavers every Christmas as I am a single mom on a tight budget... That is, of course, if you don't mind receiving your purchased item within a few days, but paying for it with easy pay...which in my case is usually five to six monthly payments...

Edited by tracy0504

I'm going to have to suck it up and buy myself a new laptop this black friday.  I don't need all the bells and whistles.  I'm hoping to get one for less than $400.  I'd like to go even lower if possible.

I think I will have to buy a new one as well. Skipped it last year hoping mine would make it another year. So far, it's holding it's on with good days and bad days. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wasn't a believer in Chromebooks - but I am now. 

Bought one for my 10 year old daughter last year and she loves it. They come in colors kids like, they are light, very tough to get a virus, and you don't have to worry if someone sits on it or steps on it because they are affordable. Schools use Chromebooks so it also gets them a head start. I even bought myself one for browsing. As always, do your research. Windows machines seem like a tangled mess to me now. 

Edited by sdn40

With predictions of sub $200 laptops just be careful to read the specs. Many of these budget types come with no dvd drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using GottaDeal mobile app

I've noticed this as a trend across the price spectrum lately. Definitely not likely to get one in the thinner machines. When I swapped out to a MacBook air (yes I know Apple) I thought the no DVD drive thing would drive me nuts. Can honestly say I haven't needed it yet, everything I've used has been downloaded, I think internet is taking over in that aspect.

• Like 1

With predictions of sub $200 laptops just be careful to read the specs. Many of these budget types come with no dvd drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using GottaDeal mobile app

My work laptop, a mid-range Lenovo, doesn't have a DVD drive.  It has bugged me a couple times, but I've gotten around it.  External USB DVD drives can be found for about $20 if you're patient, or $30 all day long, but they're not as convenient for sure.

• Like 1

i have to buy one for my daughter, she'll start college in the fall, and her old one is barely holding on.  Really needing to stay under 200.00.  Last year i think walmart had one for 179.99 so i'm crossing my fingers for 150.00 so i can get her a printer also

I used to be all over Black Friday laptops... every year... but then I realized... buying laptops in this price range.... usually means you'll need to buy a new one every 1-3 years... because they don't last. I finally started buying Macs... and realized you can get 5-8 years out of them easily. They are worth the extra money!

• Like 1

I used to be all over Black Friday laptops... every year... but then I realized... buying laptops in this price range.... usually means you'll need to buy a new one every 1-3 years... because they don't last. I finally started buying Macs... and realized you can get 5-8 years out of them easily. They are worth the extra money!

Or you could buy a different Black Friday laptop deal (not a doorbuster) for about the same money or probably a little less than that Mac and enjoy the same 5 - 8 years.

Windows laptops aren't simply prone to dying earlier than Macs because they're not Macs.  They use the same processors, the same video cards, the same RAM, the same hard drives (or at least they can if you shop smartly).  It's user behavior that kills Windows machines prematurely.  Be a smart computer user and enjoy your toys for a longer period of time.

I'm "that guy" who friends and family come to for computer help.  

Macs are great machines.  They're like Porsches.  Very high-quality components, therefore very reliable and give top notch performance.  But they cost more because they have more expensive components, don't have the same economies of scale and they've created an image that some people are willing to pay extra to be associated with.  They're a status symbol.  And maintenance is more expensive as replacement parts are not as prevalent and also high quality.  

Windows computers are like GM vehicles.  Some GM vehicles are cheap and not terribly great cars (think Chevy Spark, Cruze), but they get the basic job done.  Some are solid vehicles that cost 70% of the Porsche but may perform 95% as well and maybe even handle specialized tasks that the Porsche can't (Chevy Camaro, GMC Sierra, Buick Enclave). And some are high quality that perform on par with the Porsche for a similar price and maybe even less (Corvette, CTS-V).  

Same with Toyota, they have some quality entry models in Scion and Corolla, Camry, etc, really solid offerings in the Lexus brand and cars that will run right along side the Porsche in the F series.

Honda has a wider selection in the entry level with Civic and Accord and a slew of other little SUVs and stuff, the Acura brand in the mid range and the flagship NSX.

There are even brands that only make machines even better than Porsche - think McLaren, Bugatti.  The same is true with computers if you know where to look.

Porsche simply doesn't offer entry level cars and Apple doesn't offer entry level computers.  But you can still wreck a Porsche and poor user behavior can still mess up a Mac.

===================================================

You just have to know what you're looking for.  Generally speaking, on any given day, I can spec you a Windows machine with the same or better hardware than a Mac for less money than the Mac.  But if you have money to spend, and you want a status symbol, then both the Porsche and the Mac are fine choices.   :)

Also, Mac's OS is different than Windows and if you're used to Windows, it's up to you how long it will take to get comfortable with the new system.  Some people adapt easily.  Others never do.

Looking at Mac spec sheets are always a good place to start looking if you want to know what to look for in a Windows machine.

Edited by Pnambic
  • Like 6

I just wonder how many will even notice whether the drive is even there, and then realize later that a better laptop in the same ad could be found for that $20 more with the DVD drive. lol.

That will happen more than it should.  When I bought my last laptop, I was looking at a different one and was just about to pull the trigger when I realized it did not have the drive.  I don't use it often, but often enough to consider it a "need".

I'm in the market for a laptop this year, but I'm going to really do some research and try to figure out what won't die in a year or two. We've always had Dells because they are super affordable, but all of them have died quickly and I've been very disappointed.  I am thinking about the MacBook, but not sure if the whole display thing will bother me.  Does anyone have the Microsoft Surface Pro here?  I know it's sort of a tablet, but if you get the keyboard, it could be more like a laptop, right?  And how do you all get around not having a DVD drive? I know I wouldn't use it for movies, but how do you burn home movies these days?  lol  I have a video camera full of videos on a memory card and I have no idea what to do with them if I don't get a laptop that has a DVD drive.  

And for those that have the MacBook, what do you love and hate the most about them?  My uncle swears by them because they last forever, which is great, but what else can Mac do for me?

I'm in the market for a laptop this year, but I'm going to really do some research and try to figure out what won't die in a year or two. We've always had Dells because they are super affordable, but all of them have died quickly and I've been very disappointed.  I am thinking about the MacBook, but not sure if the whole display thing will bother me.  Does anyone have the Microsoft Surface Pro here?  I know it's sort of a tablet, but if you get the keyboard, it could be more like a laptop, right?  And how do you all get around not having a DVD drive? I know I wouldn't use it for movies, but how do you burn home movies these days?  lol  I have a video camera full of videos on a memory card and I have no idea what to do with them if I don't get a laptop that has a DVD drive.  

And for those that have the MacBook, what do you love and hate the most about them?  My uncle swears by them because they last forever, which is great, but what else can Mac do for me?

I switched my wife to one in I think 2009 and she is still using the same one today. Only changes to it have been that I added more memory and about a month or so ago I ended up putting a new battery in it for her (cost me about $30 on Amazon). It's still able to be updated to the latest OS (which is free) and still runs great. I'm considering getting her a new one and we will move hers to our daughter to play with. Wife wants a MacBook Air like I have.

Whats great about them? Well it's not as targeted for viruses and such (still need to be smart about passwords and sites and still need virus software) but it's not as large a target as Windows machines. Not saying it's better or safer just saying it's not as big of a target. I like that for at least the last 3-4 versions the newer versions of the OS have been free. I like that the hardware is stable, I like that it does everything I need and for the most part much like windows I can find free software to do those tasks.

I honestly think it comes down to what you want, Mac's in general will never be cheap it's not the market they aim for. Once you get to a good Windows Laptop the price difference won't be as great the hardware costs and no one gives it away free. They are overall very good quality machines. There are differences in how the OS works that sometimes make a lot of sense and other times I wonder why they did it. I still have a Windows Virtual Machine I run on it in case I need something that's only supported under windows.

Edited by Kanyon71
  • Like 1

I'm in the market for a laptop this year, but I'm going to really do some research and try to figure out what won't die in a year or two. We've always had Dells because they are super affordable, but all of them have died quickly and I've been very disappointed. I am thinking about the MacBook, but not sure if the whole display thing will bother me. Does anyone have the Microsoft Surface Pro here? I know it's sort of a tablet, but if you get the keyboard, it could be more like a laptop, right? And how do you all get around not having a DVD drive? I know I wouldn't use it for movies, but how do you burn home movies these days? lol I have a video camera full of videos on a memory card and I have no idea what to do with them if I don't get a laptop that has a DVD drive.

And for those that have the MacBook, what do you love and hate the most about them? My uncle swears by them because they last forever, which is great, but what else can Mac do for me?

We have had at least one of almost every version of Surface. Husband always wants latest and greatest. Plus, he is the device tester at work, so he'll get th latest version and use it for several months. My boys got the RT the first year, both have Surface 3s now, plus youngest used the hand-me-down surface pro 1 for a while.

Yes, you can get a dock and hook up your peripherals and use on a desk, use as a laptop, or use as a tablet. They are fairly powerful, especially for the size. I like the thinness of them, and the portability. My gang hasn't run into any issues or compatibility problems. My high school son takes it to school everyday, it's a great size and weight. The SP4 will run games okay, but it's by no means a gaming computer. All 3 having separate gaming machines. External USB DVD drives are not expensive, and I believe you can buy blu-ray versions as well. The Surface Book is also very nice,the keyboard doesn't come off, but it flips around for tablet use. Those are more powerful than the Pros.

Macs... I also have an iMac here... Not a macbook. It is several years old, probably at least 8 (we bought it used) and it is still running. It's starting to get a little sluggish though, but we haven't put any effort or upgrades into it, it's not used too much. Like Kanyon mentioned, it's nice always getting the latest version of the OS. And I've not ever had any problems with it. There's a couple things I've come across that it wouldn't run, but I always have access to a PC, or like he said, a VM can be used. Things are arranged a little differently, but it's not terribly hard to get used to the switch.

• Like 2

We have had at least one of almost every version of Surface. Husband always wants latest and greatest. Plus, he is the device tester at work, so he'll get th latest version and use it for several months. My boys got the RT the first year, both have Surface 3s now, plus youngest used the hand-me-down surface pro 1 for a while.

Yes, you can get a dock and hook up your peripherals and use on a desk, use as a laptop, or use as a tablet. They are fairly powerful, especially for the size. I like the thinness of them, and the portability. My gang hasn't run into any issues or compatibility problems. My high school son takes it to school everyday, it's a great size and weight. The SP4 will run games okay, but it's by no means a gaming computer. All 3 having separate gaming machines. External USB DVD drives are not expensive, and I believe you can buy blu-ray versions as well. The Surface Book is also very nice,the keyboard doesn't come off, but it flips around for tablet use. Those are more powerful than the Pros.

Macs... I also have an iMac here... Not a macbook. It is several years old, probably at least 8 (we bought it used) and it is still running. It's starting to get a little sluggish though, but we haven't put any effort or upgrades into it, it's not used too much. Like Kanyon mentioned, it's nice always getting the latest version of the OS. And I've not ever had any problems with it. There's a couple things I've come across that it wouldn't run, but I always have access to a PC, or like he said, a VM can be used. Things are arranged a little differently, but it's not terribly hard to get used to the switch.

I have considered picking up one of the Surface Pro 3 or 4's I like gadgets and think it would be cool for some of the things I do and want to do while out and about or just sitting in the living room. I'm not a fan of the iPad or iPad pro to be honest just not real useful to me, I have an iPhone and it's just a bigger version of that. Now if they put MacOS (used to be OS X) then I would consider it as it would be an ultra portable laptop much like the surface pro. I just keep waiting for a really killer deal on a surface pro 3 or 4 since they are kind of expensive :)

• Like 1

I have considered picking up one of the Surface Pro 3 or 4's I like gadgets and think it would be cool for some of the things I do and want to do while out and about or just sitting in the living room. I'm not a fan of the iPad or iPad pro to be honest just not real useful to me, I have an iPhone and it's just a bigger version of that. Now if they put MacOS (used to be OS X) then I would consider it as it would be an ultra portable laptop much like the surface pro. I just keep waiting for a really killer deal on a surface pro 3 or 4 since they are kind of expensive :)

I know the Surface 3 had some deals last year, both at Best Buy and Microsoft store. Seems I was impatient though and bought it a week before just to make sure I had it.

• Like 1

I *just* received an email saying "coming soon: Save $250 when you buy SP4 and type cover from Microsoft store." Details go on to say it's Oct 24-30 at Microsoft store online.

• Like 1

My daughter loves her SP4. She bought it for grad school instead of a new laptop. I can't really justify the cost for myself, I bought a $400 BF laptop and installed a $100 1TB SSD + maxed out the RAM instead.

• Like 1

Or you could buy a different Black Friday laptop deal (not a doorbuster) for about the same money or probably a little less than that Mac and enjoy the same 5 - 8 years.

Windows laptops aren't simply prone to dying earlier than Macs because they're not Macs.  They use the same processors, the same video cards, the same RAM, the same hard drives (or at least they can if you shop smartly).  It's user behavior that kills Windows machines prematurely.  Be a smart computer user and enjoy your toys for a longer period of time.

I'm "that guy" who friends and family come to for computer help.  

Macs are great machines.  They're like Porsches.  Very high-quality components, therefore very reliable and give top notch performance.  But they cost more because they have more expensive components, don't have the same economies of scale and they've created an image that some people are willing to pay extra to be associated with.  They're a status symbol.  And maintenance is more expensive as replacement parts are not as prevalent and also high quality.  

Windows computers are like GM vehicles.  Some GM vehicles are cheap and not terribly great cars (think Chevy Spark, Cruze), but they get the basic job done.  Some are solid vehicles that cost 70% of the Porsche but may perform 95% as well and maybe even handle specialized tasks that the Porsche can't (Chevy Camaro, GMC Sierra, Buick Enclave). And some are high quality that perform on par with the Porsche for a similar price and maybe even less (Corvette, CTS-V).  

Same with Toyota, they have some quality entry models in Scion and Corolla, Camry, etc, really solid offerings in the Lexus brand and cars that will run right along side the Porsche in the F series.

Honda has a wider selection in the entry level with Civic and Accord and a slew of other little SUVs and stuff, the Acura brand in the mid range and the flagship NSX.

There are even brands that only make machines even better than Porsche - think McLaren, Bugatti.  The same is true with computers if you know where to look.

Porsche simply doesn't offer entry level cars and Apple doesn't offer entry level computers.  But you can still wreck a Porsche and poor user behavior can still mess up a Mac.

You just have to know what you're looking for.  Generally speaking, on any given day, I can spec you a Windows machine with the same or better hardware than a Mac for less money than the Mac.  But if you have money to spend, and you want a status symbol, then both the Porsche and the Mac are fine choices.   :)

Also, Mac's OS is different than Windows and if you're used to Windows, it's up to you how long it will take to get comfortable with the new system.  Some people adapt easily.  Others never do.

Looking at Mac spec sheets are always a good place to start looking if you want to know what to look for in a Windows machine.

You sound like you know what you are talking about.  I definitely need a new laptop.  I have an old Lenovo, upgraded the ram last summer, and performance hasn't improved.  I'm looking at 8 GB Ram, 1 TB hard drive and not sure what processor I need for a good performance.  Right now mine is a 2.1 and think that is my problem.  There are a few reasonably priced models on best buy with these qualities, but the processor doesn't seem much better.  Could you tell me what I should be looking for and then I can check on sales?  Thanks

Here's what I do for anyone complaining about a slow laptop.

- Uninstall Norton or McAfee anti-virus and replace it with Avira. (https://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus) (free)  Run a full scan and take whatever corrective action it prescribes.

- Install and run spybot (https://www.safer-networking.org/) (free)  Immunize and run a full scan and take whatever corrective action it prescribes.

- Install and run MalwareBytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/) (free) MAKE SURE TO GET THE ONE THAT'S SPELLED RIGHT.  Take whatever corrective action it prescribes.

- Take a close look at everything that's running on my computer.  There are probably things running that I don't need or want.  If I use Skype once a week, it doesn't need to run ALL THE TIME.

- - http://www.howtogeek.com/162446/how-to-manage-startup-applications-in-windows-8/

- - http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

And lastly, go through the Add/Remove Programs list and see what's in there that I don't recognize.  Things get installed sometimes when you're not paying attention (Java is bad about doing that on upgrades...).  Uninstall any programs you don't recognize.

Then see how things run.  9 times out of 10, this improves performance by a very noticeable amount.

You have a couple weeks to try these steps and see how things go before plunking down the dough on a new laptop.  Maybe this fixes your old one well enough to let you put that money into other Black Friday purchases.

• Like 5

Need some help. My Daughter is a freshman at college. She has a laptop but its regular size.

Question should we get her a small laptop or a windows tablet and keyboard to take to school?

First time looking at these and not sure what to do.

ThanksSent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using GottaDeal mobile app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using GottaDeal mobile app

My son is in his 3rd year. First year he carried his big normal heavy laptop every day. Last year, he lived on campus so it wasn't so bad, and he uses that laptop as his main computer (it's a gaming laptop). This year he is commuting again, and we got him a Surface 3. He is much happier carrying that around every day!! And it works fine for what he needs on campus.

If this will be your daughter's primary computer though, you may want to check with her, and see how she will be using it. The Surface Pro would be a better choice over a plain Surface 3 ( and I'm not sure they are selling those anymore anyway) and it should be powerful enough for most anything. It is a little bit bigger, but not terribly big and heavy.

Need some help. My Daughter is a freshman at college. She has a laptop but its regular size.

Question should we get her a small laptop or a windows tablet and keyboard to take to school?

First time looking at these and not sure what to do.

ThanksSent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using GottaDeal mobile app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using GottaDeal mobile app

I had a laptop throughout college and would bring it to almost every class every day. I had a backpack and didn't notice it was big (compared to a tablet). They really aren't that large and if it's going to be used constantly as the main source of a computer, I suggest an actual laptop. For the price point of a Surface Pro (or Surface for that matter), you can get a pretty incredible laptop (especially on BF). The touch screen (benefit of a tablet) doesn't really gain you much, and you'll certainly want the keyboard almost constantly.

My son is in his 3rd year. First year he carried his big normal heavy laptop every day. Last year, he lived on campus so it wasn't so bad, and he uses that laptop as his main computer (it's a gaming laptop). This year he is commuting again, and we got him a Surface 3. He is much happier carrying that around every day!! And it works fine for what he needs on campus.

If this will be your daughter's primary computer though, you may want to check with her, and see how she will be using it. The Surface Pro would be a better choice over a plain Surface 3 ( and I'm not sure they are selling those anymore anyway) and it should be powerful enough for most anything. It is a little bit bigger, but not terribly big and heavy.

I had a laptop throughout college and would bring it to almost every class every day. I had a backpack and didn't notice it was big (compared to a tablet). They really aren't that large and if it's going to be used constantly as the main source of a computer, I suggest an actual laptop. For the price point of a Surface Pro (or Surface for that matter), you can get a pretty incredible laptop (especially on BF). The touch screen (benefit of a tablet) doesn't really gain you much, and you'll certainly want the keyboard almost constantly.

She already has a laptop.  What we were thinking of getting her is something she can take to class. She commutes and right now her schedule is 8am to 3pm. She 

has taken her laptop to school and has found it was really heavy to carry around all day.  

We were looking for something smaller and lighter, that is why we though a windows tablet.