Official Black Friday TVs (HDTV & 4K) Discussion Thread

Brad

Not sure it helps you much, but Amazon has the 65" Samsung 8000 series for about the same price as BB right now.

Honestly, I haven't been looking at TVs quite that large myself, as I have no good place to put a screen that size in my apartment.

ETA: Maybe only advantage of BB over Amazon would be reward points if you are a My Best Buy Rewards member.

Thanks I will check it out 

I am looking to purchase a Samsung 55" 4K Smart TV and live too far from the stores to be there on Black Friday.  I have medical issues and don't drive.  Target has a great price but not available to ship and WalMart won't match the 10% discount.  Anyone know of a GREAT deal on this TV???? Much appreciated.

I am looking to purchase a Samsung 55" 4K Smart TV and live too far from the stores to be there on Black Friday.  I have medical issues and don't drive.  Target has a great price but not available to ship and WalMart won't match the 10% discount.  Anyone know of a GREAT deal on this TV???? Much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure Kohls had that deal.  It's probably sold out by now.

Edit: Found it; forgot it was in Brad's BF Update email this morning.

....and yes, it's out of stock.

Edited by bribri25

Thinking about the 55" 4K Samsung at Sam's Club for $299. Opinions? Is there a different one you'd recommend? Normal TV viewing. I have Apple TV so smart technology isn't a big deal. Thanks!

Which TV is that?  I don't see one in the BF ad. But there's so many Pre-BF sales going on... so can you link to the specific TV?

Still looking for any opinions on the 55" philips at Walmart for there Black Friday sale?

Hard to say.  Walmart doesn't do a good job of clearly identifying the products in their ads so we're left guessing.

We don't know the model number to look up the specifics, so we have no idea:

- if it supports any HDR material (probably not)

- if it supports wide color gamut (probably not)

- if it has built-in wireless or requires a dongle or wired connection

- if it has 60 or 120 Hz refresh rate (probably 60 Hz)

- how many HDMI ports it has (probably 2, maybe 3)

- if it has a USB port (good to power streaming dongles and to stream media from)

- if it has a VGA port (good if you want to hook up a computer to it)

- if it has an optical out (good for sound bars)

All we know is it's a Philips, it has a 54.6" screen, its LED, has some level of smart features, can display 4K content (of which there really isn't much, so this is a worthless option in my eyes), is only available at Walmart and will be on sale for $298.

With all the unknowns, it's hard to have an educated opinion on it.  Sorry.

• Like 1

Hard to say.  Walmart doesn't do a good job of clearly identifying the products in their ads so we're left guessing.

We don't know the model number to look up the specifics, so we have no idea:

- if it supports wide color gamut (probably not)

- if it has built-in wireless or requires a dongle or wired connection

- if it has 60 or 120 Hz refresh rate (probably 60 Hz)

- how many HDMI ports it has (probably 2, maybe 3)

- if it has a USB port (good to power streaming dongles and to stream media from)

- if it has a VGA port (good if you want to hook up a computer to it)

- if it has an optical out (good for sound bars)

All we know is it's a Philips, it has a 54.6" screen, its LED, has some level of smart features, can display 4K content (of which there really isn't much, so this is a worthless option in my eyes), is only available at Walmart and will be on sale for $298.

With all the unknowns, it's hard to have an educated opinion on it.  Sorry.

somebody hasnt checked the Walmart list, we know all that info

here is the TV for you to look at

https://www.walmart.com/ip/54510025

1 x Component/Composite Video, 1 x Ethernet, 3 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone, 1 x Optical Digital Audio, 1 x RCA Audio L+R, 1 x RF (Coaxial), 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x VGA

Built-in WiFi

Built-in digital tuner

120 Hz Perfect Motion Rate
  • Like 1

somebody hasnt checked the Walmart list, we know all that info

here is the TV for you to look at

https://www.walmart.com/ip/54510025

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

I believe my friend Riven here has done a ton of work looking into these TV's for the charts and I totally appreciate all that hard work.

But the really astute observer might have noticed that many of Walmart's ads specifically say that models or even brands may vary by store and most don't include specific model numbers.  This is because they often substitute on Black Friday as the logistics of getting all of their quintillions of stores to carry enough of these TV's in stock is really hard.  So they fudge it sometimes with similar items.  This guess looks like it may be right, but I've seen times (like last year) where there were multiple Element TVs that technically fit the description in the ad, but had differing specs.  So with Walmart, you should take their ads with a grain of salt or expect the worst and be happily surprised if you get something better.  

Philips doesn't have any information on this product on their website.  That's a red flag for me

By the way, the refresh rate is 60 Hz.  Says so several times on the Walmart product page anyway.  "Perfect Motion Rate" is marketing mumbo jumbo.  

It doesn't say that it supports HDR or WCG, which is really the only reason to buy a 4K TV.  If you buy a 4K TV without that, it's like buying a 1080P TV that's only in black and white.  Sure, technically you're getting all those pixels, but you're not getting all the beautiful depth of color that really makes UHD worthwhile. 

Thanks Riven!

So, I was at Best Buy burning some time last night and checking things out.  Looking to get that LG 40" 1080P for $150 on Black Friday (or earlier if they drop the price earlier).  And I noticed something that I thought I'd share with you all as I don't recall if this has been discussed here yet.

In looking at the TV, which is 1080P, next to a similar sized 4K set, there was a really  noticeable different in the picture quality, even from 8 to 10 feet away.  I thought to myself, this is contrary to physics, what's going on here?  So I looked at the back of the TV's and want to know what I found?  I found they were feeding the 1080P sets with coax and they were feeding the 4K sets with HDMI.  Digging a little further, I found the 1080P set's weren't even being given an HD signal - they're getting an SD signal and the TV's are upscaling.  That's how they're selling 4K TV's - they're setting them next to each other, sending the 1080P an inferior signal and then saying, "look how much better the 4K set looks!".  Dirty.  I asked the rep about it and he sheepishly smirked and shrugged.  Said it wasn't his call.  I asked if they had any thumbdrives with 1080P material to watch on the 1080P set and he said one of the other guys did, but he wasn't there yesterday.

SO.  Put your own test material on your own thumbdrive and take it with you if you want to really compare apples to apples.  Retailers have a significant interest in fooling you and they will if they can. 

Now I see why so many people are falling for the hype.

My mistake, it's a JVC (not Sumsung). I've looked at so many I can't keep them straight :)

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridayScans/SamsClub/10

The specs don't look the greatest, but it is a Smart 4K TV for $299. So, I think it's a perfectly fine TV on a budget if you're not looking for the best of the best.

What we know:

- it is 4K 

- it doesn't support Wide Color Gamut (it says 16.7mil colors and WCG is over 1 bil)

- the refresh rate is 60 Hz

- it is LED backlit but we don't know if it's direct lit, edge lit, has local dimming, etc

- it has 3 HDMI ports but only one is HDMI 2.0

- it has 1 USB port

- it has 1 composite and 1 component input

- specs say it has one VGA port but I can't find it in any pictures

- looks like an optical out for a sound bar is there in the pics

- it does not do music or video from USB, only pictures

- reported contrast is way low, but that's not a hard measure to use to compare between sets

- the specs say it is a smart TV, but with no built in WiFi and no Ethernet, I can't imagine how that works (reviews say its not a smart TV)

What we don't know:

- who the heck makes this thing?  JVC's website hasn't heard of it - it doesn't have ANY TV's on it.

If you want a cheap 55inch HDTV, this might be OK.  But if you're replacing even a mediocre 50" 1080P simply because this one says 4K on the box, don't.  Right now, 4K material is sparse, but when/if it ever does become available, it will be using HDR and Wide Color Gamut and this TV doesn't support that.  You'll get the 4K pixels, but you won't enjoy the deep rich colors that are the real reason for going to 4K.

If it were my money, I'd get the Sharp LC-55LB481U in the Best Buy ad for $250.  It's a smart TV with built in WiFi, comes from a company that at least acknowledges that it makes TV's, is cheaper, and will likely even be a better picture since there's nothing to watch in 4K anyway.  That way, in a year or two, when 4K has some legs under it and TV manufacturers are making TV's that actually support all the HDR and WCG material, you can get yourself a 4K TV that actually looks as amazing as it should.

• Like 2

What we know:

- it is 4K 

- it doesn't support Wide Color Gamut (it says 16.7mil colors and WCG is over 1 bil)

- the refresh rate is 60 Hz

- it is LED backlit but we don't know if it's direct lit, edge lit, has local dimming, etc

- it has 3 HDMI ports but only one is HDMI 2.0

- it has 1 USB port

- it has 1 composite and 1 component input

- specs say it has one VGA port but I can't find it in any pictures

- looks like an optical out for a sound bar is there in the pics

- it does not do music or video from USB, only pictures

- reported contrast is way low, but that's not a hard measure to use to compare between sets

- the specs say it is a smart TV, but with no built in WiFi and no Ethernet, I can't imagine how that works (reviews say its not a smart TV)

What we don't know:

- who the heck makes this thing?  JVC's website hasn't heard of it - it doesn't have ANY TV's on it.

If you want a cheap 55inch HDTV, this might be OK.  But if you're replacing even a mediocre 50" 1080P simply because this one says 4K on the box, don't.  Right now, 4K material is sparse, but when/if it ever does become available, it will be using HDR and Wide Color Gamut and this TV doesn't support that.  You'll get the 4K pixels, but you won't enjoy the deep rich colors that are the real reason for going to 4K.

If it were my money, I'd get the Sharp LC-55LB481U in the Best Buy ad for $250.  It's a smart TV with built in WiFi, comes from a company that at least acknowledges that it makes TV's, is cheaper, and will likely even be a better picture since there's nothing to watch in 4K anyway.  That way, in a year or two, when 4K has some legs under it and TV manufacturers are making TV's that actually support all the HDR and WCG material, you can get yourself a 4K TV that actually looks as amazing as it should.

I think this might be one of the only times here, but I agree with your review here.

when it comes to TV's homework is always the key otherwise you might just get what you paid for and not what you think you bought

Honestly I think the key here is always you get what you pay for. The cheaper the TV the more likely you are to be missing a lot of the features. As everyone here has said do your homework. There is a av forum our there that has a LOT of feedback on almost all TV's out there from many people who own and/or looking for feedback on them.