Official Black Friday SMARTPHONES Discussion Thread

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

Looking for a smartphone for my elderly mom.  Nothing fancy, easy to use.  What is the best deal out there  Will BF ads have phones

Easy to use is sometimes a matter of personal ability. Many people find the iPhone easy to use, others find Android easy to use. I personally think it's all what you get used to using.

• 3 weeks later...
I think a iPhone SE would be great for her. It's small but packed with features. Plus now that the 7 is out, it will be inexpensive. But whatever device you do get, make sure to sit down and help her with it and write whatever passwords she creates down. I work in tech support and have heard so many elderly people just lost.

Looking for a smartphone for my elderly mom.  Nothing fancy, easy to use.  What is the best deal out there  Will BF ads have phones

Look at the cell phones and plans offered by Consumer Cellular, the only cell phone company affiliated with AARP.  In addition to common models, they offer some distinctly easy to use cell phone models specifically designed for older people and they have the lowest cost plans available for light users (starting at $9.50 per month plus 24 cents per minute or $14.25 per month with 250 minutes).

I believe all of Consumer Cellular's plans are "prepaid plans."  I have done some careful analysis of cell phone plan costs, and I recommend buying a phone and using prepaid plans no matter what company you use.  It is ALWAYS cheaper in the long run than the contract plans.  "Free" phones in a plan are both never actually free, and you pay more for them over time than if you bought them up front.

Edited by mcwalker

It is ALWAYS cheaper in the long run than the contract plans.  "Free" phones in a plan are both never actually free, and you pay more for them over time than if you bought them up front.

I'll only go with a pre-paid plan from here on out...  We were with T-Mobile for a short while (their coverage was awful).  But to add insult to injury, their database of users was hacked so our credit report was compromised.  Hello cc-monitoring service.  Thanks for nothing, T-mo!

We're with Cricket Wireless now, which is the pre-paid arm of AT&T.  Love the coverage!

My mom uses android, but I am an android person.  Just get your mom a smartphone similar to what you use.  After all, you will be the one helping her!  If you are concerned about price and ease of use, consider the Samsung Galaxy S5.  (it will be cheap as it is 2 years old, yet still works well).  Samsung devices have a setting called "Easy Mode" that makes it look similar to an iPhone.

• Like 1

I currently work in Tech Support for one of the national wireless carriers (don't want to say which). I will absolutely say this... No matter which platform they start using (iOS or Android).... please... please... PLEASE... educate them on the importance of knowing the associated account and password for their phone. (Like their Google Account and password or Apple ID and password). You have no idea how many elderly people call and need to get into something on their phone... and they don't know their Apple ID and/or password. (Same with Google Account).... and they think that I (a rep from the wireless carrier) am supposed to know that information or that I have their password.

People constantly lose access to backups of their contacts, photos....etc because they don't know this info.... or sometimes... lately with the creation of activation lock features.... they cannot reset and re-activate a phone because they don't have the info and don't have the means to retrieve it.

BOTTOM LINE:

If you gift a smartphone (or any other connected device), educate them about these things!

Thoughts on any BF deals for an iphone 6s plus?  Hoping for the right deal, don't want to get my kids the 7's since they don't take care of things.  But need to stay with Verizon because of location issues.

I would say you're likely to see some deals, though places like Sam's Club and other tend to have deals on the newer phones.

Any deals on s7 edge? I know the ads aren't out yet but do you think there'll deals on them. Or would I be better off with Samsung's current deal of buy the s7 or s7 edge and get the vr free? Mind you I'm currently on a no contract prepaid from straight talk.

Any deals on s7 edge? I know the ads aren't out yet but do you think there'll deals on them. Or would I be better off with Samsung's current deal of buy the s7 or s7 edge and get the vr free? Mind you I'm currently on a no contract prepaid from straight talk.

I would imagine you'll see something, but it's hard to say for sure. I think the s6 was about in the same situation last BF. Plus, there's undoubtedly going to be some deal on the iPhone 7, it'd be almost impossible not to have anything for the Galaxy. IMO, the VR isn't all that great, anyway. In theory it's cool but you'll get a few weeks use out of it before the novelty wears off.

I'm curious how much the Pixel compares to the Galaxy; and how much the hardware was done elsewhere, but just stamps Google's name on it.  I know they do a few things differently on the OS and call it "pure Android", but in reality how different is it?  I've been a Galaxy s3(when is was still in roman numerals S III)/s4/s5/s6 user for 4+ years and really have come to love them. It would probably take something special for me to change at this point; a "Google" stamp rather than "Samsung" isn't going to cut it.  Maybe we'll see what the s8 vs. Pixel2 (both theoretical models in their respective series') brings.  Not in the market for a smartphone this BF, but always curious on the ever-expanding technology.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping for free or close to free upgrades for at&t. all lines are eligible for upgrade but don't feel like paying through the teeth for it

Me to..we've been waiting to see what they are going to give, but now the phone my daughter wanted, we can't get at least its not online.

• Like 1

We are AT&T customers with three iPhone 5S phones.  We are not on any kind of new-every-two plan and our phones work fine.  One of my kids wants to replace his 5S with an SE.  I have used this phone and it is much better than the 5S, but I wonder if I should be waiting on an SE version of the iPhone 7.  My kid says no because of the lack of a phone jack.

I am thinking of getting the SE and putting the SE on a new number for me.  AT&T says that I will only have to pay for the phones and $15/month to add a line.

SO...

What do you guys think of the SE?  Should I wait for an iPhone 7 SE?  Should I expect a deal from AT&T over the holidays?  Should I be looking somewhere else for a deal?

• Like 1

I read the Verizon ad released already and it looks like they are doing $10 per month on the edge plan for Galaxy S7 and the New Moto Z. Both of these phones are on my lists. However, lower in the add it has pricing much higher than that. The way I read it, it looks like the $10 per month price is Thursday only and then higher on Friday. Is that how you guys understood the ad? 

Anyone have any luck with refurbished ipods? My girls have our old phones but they are showing their age now and I really don't want to spend $200+ on a new ipod. Would my best bet be brick and mortar store or Amazon?

If you're getting it from Apple itself on their online store then it's pretty much as good as new and usually comes with a good warranty. Now from others I'm not 100% sure as it would depend on the skills of the person doing the refurbishment.

• Like 2

For the Target and Sam's Ad that offers Iphones and Samsung phone for $0 down, waived activation and $250 gift cards....what does $0 down mean?  Do pay for the phone now?  I'm eligible for upgrade of my Samsung galaxy S5, but the latest Samsung explodes now......lol.  I'm considering an Iphone 7 plus....any thoughts and/or recommendations on Iphones or other good smartphones.....Thanks!

For the Target and Sam's Ad that offers Iphones and Samsung phone for $0 down, waived activation and $250 gift cards....what does $0 down mean? Do pay for the phone now? I'm eligible for upgrade of my Samsung galaxy S5, but the latest Samsung explodes now......lol. I'm considering an Iphone 7 plus....any thoughts and/or recommendations on Iphones or other good smartphones.....Thanks!

It means that you're signing up for an installment plan through your phone company. For instance, At&T's is called the Next plan. The price you pay per month is based on the length of time you want to pay before you're eligible to upgrade; every year, every other year, etc. Of course, you have the option of paying the phone off as well too. Your only out of pocket that day should be the taxes on the full price of the phone.

I'm going for the iPhone 7plus and since I've paid my 6 off, I will be keeping it as a back-up phone for the family.

They also do a credit check when you do the payment plan, and the rebates I have seen so far require you to stay on the plan for 24 months. I was all excited about Verizon's B1G1, and then I saw they require the payment plan. I'm planning on moving in a few months and don't want the hit on my credit, so I just bought the Moto G4 for $199 today. I don't need the latest and greatest, and anything is a step up from my glitchy S4. I'm hoping I didn't jump the gun, though.