Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Tablet help.

7 replies to this topic

#1 shopping4my3son  OFFLINE  

shopping4my3son

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 12, 2016 - 10:16 am

Going over the school supply list and I need to purchase a tablet for my 8th grader.

The Kindle Fires are on sale right now but I don't think it'll do everything.

This is what I need:

Work with Google Docs

Has Flash

Touchscreen

Camera Front & Rear

Video

Expandable memory

Bluetooth

WiFi

Possibility to get a keyboard but not necessary.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

:cheese:

#2 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,019 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 14, 2016 - 1:27 pm

Sorry for the tardy response.

Giving you my recommendation isn't as easy as it might seem.  :/

I believe Adobe stopped supporting Flash on mobile devices some time ago.  While some existing presentation materials might still be Flash based, no school should be teaching kids how to program Flash for mobile devices.  (In my opinion, they shouldn't be teaching Flash period....but that's just me.)  I don't know if any device guarantees Flash compatibility anymore.

I'm pretty sure you can use Google Docs through just about any web browser if you can't get the Google Docs app installed formally on the device.  Not sure if the Amazon store has a Google Docs app.  But I think there are many how-to's on the web about getting Google Docs on Fire tablets through side-loading or rooting.

I have had excellent experience with two Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7in) tablets, a 1st gen Nabi, Nabi2 and a Nabi DreamTab, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (10in) and an LG GTab with 4G (8in).  I wouldn't hesitate to endorse any of these.  I had a HiSense 10in tablet about two years ago and it was...ok, until I dropped it.  :(

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#3 shopping4my3son  OFFLINE  

shopping4my3son

• 3,363 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 14, 2016 - 1:46 pm

Thanks!

Since my post I've been searching and learning. Kindles are out. For Google Docs to work correctly it takes a lot of work and isn't always successful. Apple is out because the school posted about it not being compatible with everything they need. Cost of Apple products are just to much for middle school IMHO.

Looks like a Samsung Galaxy seems to be the front runner. I did the online chat with them and Google Docs works. Now to narrow down which one and size/cost. Maybe there will be a back to school soon.

#4 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,030 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Jul 15, 2016 - 6:55 am

I can't believe they are requiring the purchase of a tablet for middle schoolers.

The hardest part will be flash - there has to be some program they will run that runs on flash that's web based but I don't know why the school doesn't realize most tablets can't handle it.  The school should have an app that's downloadable for that program, not a web based solution. And if there is, it shouldn't run on flash!

Sorry, just ranting. The only tablet that came to mind was also the Samsung Galaxy.  

GO BRUINS!

#5 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,019 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 15, 2016 - 10:57 am

My third grader was encouraged to bring their own device last year.  They call it a BYOD program.  The teachers use them to get/keep the kids engaged between certain assignments/activities.  But my third grader is in the gifted program at a newly STEM-certified elementary school.  They're trying all kinds of new things.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#6 shopping4my3son  OFFLINE  

shopping4my3son

• 3,363 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 15, 2016 - 1:30 pm

Flash wasn't required but listed as a negative if it didn't have it.

On the school supply list it was "highly recommended"  that each student bring their own device. If he has that with there shouldn't be an excuse about not having his homework.

#7 hpowers  OFFLINE  

hpowers

• 3,875 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Aug 4, 2016 - 2:57 pm

Thankful our school supplies ipads for all students. There are actually several schools in our area doing this. The intention was to replace heavy books with books on the tablet, but thats not happening anytime soon since school systems only know how to use the same companies that they have used for years to get books. Urgh, what a pain.

#8 hack2222  OFFLINE  

hack2222

• 1,006 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Aug 18, 2016 - 3:41 pm

You might try the Bestbuy 50th Anniversary Sale if you have not purchased one yet.

All non-active member requests are DENIED for Help, anyone else will be helped.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users