Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Help! My iphone died & I need a new one!

7 replies to this topic

#1 ilikefree  OFFLINE  

ilikefree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted May 24, 2016 - 9:45 am

I tried doing an update on my iphone 5c but when it was done updating, it wouldn't turn back on. The Verizon guy said that the same thing happened to his sister with an older version of the iphone. His thought was that Apple puts something in the updates that ruins the phones so you have to upgrade. I'm not due for an upgrade till November but I need a phone now. Does anyone know of a place where I can find a cheap but trusted one?

Sometimes the thoughts in my head go for a walk out through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing. :no:

#2 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,813 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 25, 2016 - 5:42 am

Did you take it to your local Apple Store to see if they can fix it?

#3 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,009 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 26, 2016 - 3:52 pm

Did you take it to your local Apple Store to see if they can fix it?

+1

If you have an Apple store in your area, try them first.

Otherwise, check with the competition.  I know Sprint was ready to pay off my early termination fees if I went to them from Verizon about two years ago.  If they had better coverage where my in-laws live, I probably would have made the switch.  I don't know if they require you to have working phones or not.

Gamestop sells them used, but they're not exactly cheap.  Looks like you could pick up a refurbed iPhone 4S for about $100 or a Galaxy S4 for about $140 - guaranteed to work.

I picked up a refurbed iPhone 5S 32GB for free last Nov from Verizon (with a 2-year contract extension on the line).  Maybe they'll let you extend if they know you're shopping.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#4 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,572 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted May 27, 2016 - 12:26 pm

His thought on them blowing the phones up on purpose is quite silly and if they or any other company did so they would end up in a whole world of legal trouble. When apple wants you to get a new phone they just stop supporting the phone in the newer OS versions. There have been some issues with installs in the past and Apple is pretty good about fixing the issues. As for unbricking the one you're talking about you can most likely just force it into recovery mode, just do a search for iPhone DFU Mode. Sometimes the OS install goes off the rails and most times this will help you recover it, you will need to download the OS IPSW file for the version you want (google will find them easy for you) go into DFU mode it should show up on the screen then lay the OS back down. This has allowed me to recover a few phones for friends of mine.

#5 stevemathis  OFFLINE  

stevemathis

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2016

Posted Jul 16, 2016 - 8:13 am

I tried doing an update on my iphone 5c but when it was done updating, it wouldn't turn back on. The Verizon guy said that the same thing happened to his sister with an older version of the iphone. His thought was that Apple puts something in the updates that ruins the phones so you have to upgrade. I'm not due for an upgrade till November but I need a phone now. Does anyone know of a place where I can find a cheap but trusted one?

Cheap but trusted phone is not an iphone. It's expensive and trusted. Very few times I heard that an iphone dies.

#6 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,009 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 18, 2016 - 8:37 am

Cheap but trusted phone is not an iphone. It's expensive and trusted. Very few times I heard that an iphone dies.

When your teenage son takes one in the pool with him by accident, it dies.  Just sayin'... ;)

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#7 stevemathis  OFFLINE  

stevemathis

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9 Posts
  • Member since 2016

Posted Jul 19, 2016 - 12:19 am

When your teenage son takes one in the pool with him by accident, it dies.  Just sayin'... ;)

There is a cure for those who forget to put away their phones before going into pools. Some sonys and samsungs are water repellent :)

#8 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,572 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 19, 2016 - 7:10 am

Good submarines they do not make. 6S line seems to be much more tolerant of it, lot's of videos floating around of them submerged and they work just fine. Not something I really care to test with mine though :)

Did see a video where some guy took the 6S Plus and one of the new Samsungs, put them in 2 different bowls filled the bowls with coca cola and then froze them both while they were running. When he thawed both out the battery on the 6S Plus had died while in the freezer but they once he put it on charge it started up and so did the Samsung. People do crazy things :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users