Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Help support GottaDEAL and use these links when shopping online this week. For more stores, see our store directory.

Photo

Need to replace my plasma TV

11 replies to this topic

#1 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,827 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 15, 2016 - 5:06 pm

So my DVR box fried last week and took out everything it was attached to. Since it was because my cable was not grounded when it was installed, I've opened a case with my cable company and will try to get them to replace it.

I had a 53 inch Samsung plasma TV. Since I can't buy a brand new plasma TV .. What would the equivalent today?

#2 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,057 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 16, 2016 - 11:24 am

:(

That's terrible.

Today's tech doesn't compare especially well yet with what the Plasma's were able to do the last few years.  The future looks promising with OLED, quantum bits and HDR, but those aren't mainstream yet.

You have two main choices to start with:

1.) Spend a lot of money now on a nice set with lots of options that might or might not pan out for you as 4k standards still aren't nailed down.

2.) Get something to get you by until the next generation of OLED HDTV's are available and HDR has been settled and spend your money on a nicer set then...if the 4k media is there to support such a choice.

You hate to buy a new TV without some flavor of HDR, as we know it's the next big thing, but as HDR still isn't a settled standard yet, there's a chance that your TV might not support the finalized HDR version, whenever that happens in the next year or two.  There's even a chance the NONE of the currently available sets will support the eventually finalized HDR standard.  I would tend to stick with the BIG names for this reason.  Personally, I lean toward Panasonic.

There's really no 4k material to speak of - certainly not enough to warrant spending a bunch of money to watch it (unless you have more dollars than sense/cents :) in which case, go knock yourself out).

Personally, I'd probably pick up a low end 55" edge lit LED LCD with good smart features and the right number of inputs for my needs.

I'd start by looking at this one.  Looks like a good deal at first glance  --> http://www.samsung.c.../UN55J6200AFXZA

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#3 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 6,827 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 16, 2016 - 12:06 pm

I'm substituting an unused TV and one of the big things I've noticed is the sound quality.  

I know I can't buy a flat screen plasma - so I just don't want to get short changed when they cut me a check to replace my TV.  

Thanks for the insight!!

#4 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,057 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted May 16, 2016 - 6:58 pm

Yeah, I haven't used a TV's speakers in a long time.  They're always hooked up to systems for that in my house as TV speakers are pretty universally poor in comparison.

Sorry I can't help with advice there.

I'm so mad at myself for not buying one more Panasonic Plasma before they stopped making them...  :/

Kept pushing it off and then it was too late.

#5 aadvans  OFFLINE  

aadvans

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2016

Posted Jul 8, 2016 - 1:27 am

Sorry to hear this. Terrible thng to fry all thic. I'm blessed with my Panasonic plasma and wouldn't change it for anythin existing at the moment. LCD, LED technology are far behind what plasma used to show. Unfortunately there are no plasmas on the market any more. It could be wise to look for used plasmas rather than new LCD or LED. Or you have som serious cash to spend? If so, try with OLED like the other guy mentioned before. A lot better technology.

#6 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 6,827 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Jul 8, 2016 - 7:34 am

I'm now waiting on Time Warner's installation contracting company to let me know how much they are going to either give me to buy another TV or what they are going to replace it with.

My cable was never grounded when it was installed - so it's their fault - so they are replacing my TV. 

I just want to make sure it's replaced with something equal to what I had since they don't make plasma TVs anymore.

#7 Kanyon71  ONLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,921 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jul 8, 2016 - 8:34 am

I'm now waiting on Time Warner's installation contracting company to let me know how much they are going to either give me to buy another TV or what they are going to replace it with.

My cable was never grounded when it was installed - so it's their fault - so they are replacing my TV. 

I just want to make sure it's replaced with something equal to what I had since they don't make plasma TVs anymore.

Used Pioneer Plasma with Square Trade warranty :)

It's hard to pick a TV right now, I loved my Plasma but when we relocated I gave it to my inlaws so it didn't get destroyed in the move. Ended up with a Vizio 70" LED which we have been very happy with so far. It's not 3D nor 4K and I'm ok with that, it has a nice picture and we got a good deal.

#8 aadvans  OFFLINE  

aadvans

• PipPipPip
  • 4 Posts
  • Member since 2016

Posted Jul 9, 2016 - 2:03 pm

Used Pioneer Plasma with Square Trade warranty :)

It's hard to pick a TV right now, I loved my Plasma but when we relocated I gave it to my inlaws so it didn't get destroyed in the move. Ended up with a Vizio 70" LED which we have been very happy with so far. It's not 3D nor 4K and I'm ok with that, it has a nice picture and we got a good deal.

OK these new ones are pretty good. But imagine how plasma was good when even 10 years ago they reached close to perfection in picture quality

#9 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 6,827 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 28, 2016 - 5:22 pm

Ended up getting a Samsung 65 inch curved TV. The cable company paid about half of it. Got it home last night and it is way bigger in my house then it looked in the store!

Loving it so far. It's not plasma, but loving the smart tv function!

#10 Kanyon71  ONLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,921 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Aug 29, 2016 - 8:15 am

OK these new ones are pretty good. But imagine how plasma was good when even 10 years ago they reached close to perfection in picture quality

Oh there is no doubts when it comes to colors and such I LOVED my plasma. I wish they were still out it's what I would have bought when we moved.

#11 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,057 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 29, 2016 - 11:22 am

...and it only took three and a half months.  Is it any wonder cable companies are always rated with the worst customer service?

#12 AndreaInNC  OFFLINE  

AndreaInNC

Caniac

• 6,827 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Aug 29, 2016 - 12:33 pm

oh I still don't have the check yet.  it's been ordered - but I wanted to go ahead and buy it.  I had some promotional stuff that expired yesterday.  

And it was a contractor for TWC - so they really don't want to pay me.  I've had to battle with them on and off since June.

I finally had to call TWC and tell them if it wasn't resolved I was going to cancel my service.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users