Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

HDR - Can I call it or can I call it?

No replies to this topic

#1 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Apr 11, 2016 - 10:37 am

http://www.cnet.com/...-tv-format-war/

Here we go.

All of you folks who bought fancy new TV's this past Black Friday, keep us updated.

...But in my experience, 4K does very little itself to improve picture quality.

Here's how we put it in our review of the world's first 4K Blu-ray player. "If you want to extract the maximum benefit out of this player, you need a high-end HDR-capable TV. When viewed on standard, non-HDR 4K TVs, the discs we tested don't offer any substantial picture quality improvements over standard 1080p Blu-ray discs."

...so forget the expected impact of upscaling, even native 4k Blu-Rays played on a 4k Blu-Ray player, shown on a 4k HDTV didn't, "offer any substantial picture quality improvements over standard 1080p Blu-ray discs." if it wasn't HDR.  Good old physics.

I look forward to enjoying all the new improvements coming to audio/video systems too, but I hope I was able to help a few people keep their hard-earned money in their own pockets this past season instead of wasting it on technology that may not really do what they hoped it would.  Maybe in a year or two this HDR stuff will be ironed out.  Hope so!  It sounds pretty great.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users