Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Help! I killed the pc

13 replies to this topic

#1 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,039 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 26, 2015 - 12:45 pm

Before I start, I know there's a whole section on free utilities I'm just looking for someone to guide me. I'm beyond burnt out and have very little mental capacity remaining. It's not easy being responsible for everything or having to pick up the pieces if you delegate. I just finished wrapping Christmas presents and I have extra trips to make now since gifts were left when we made our stops yesterday because someone else packed the car and I took their word that everything was there.

I installed a virus on the pc one day while I was rushing to try to get to work and being badgered about finding something. I don't believe the virus itself is gone and the registry appears to have become messed up in the process. Every time there is a restart we get a message about some balance browser file missing from registry. Mouse/keyboard actions are jerky and don't follow expected results. Where as clicking used to open in same window now its opening a whole new browser window not even a tab. IE which we never used before seems to have become corrupt and now refuses to connect to the internet which for whatever reason means that ALL web related pictures in Outlook do not load.

I am considering just resetting to factory settings but that means backing everything up and then reinstalling/loading outlook pst file etc and was hoping there was a better alternative. The computer will not do a restore to any point available in the system which only goes back to very end of November for whatever reason. I've run Malawarebytes anti Malware, AnviSmart Defender, EasyCleaner, Windows Registry repair all with no luck. It says it finds so many errors/issues I tell it to delete/confine and rerun scan to get same responses again.

#2 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 27, 2015 - 10:08 pm

My suggestion would be is if you have another computer create a boot cd to remove the virus. There is one called Avira AntiVir that is supposed to be pretty good. As for registry errors it may a false reading. Try making sure the virus is gone then go from there. You will boot from the cd you create and then it will do a through scan for you.

#3 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,039 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 28, 2015 - 6:50 am

Thanks, I am going to attempt to pack for New Years trip then look up how to create a boot cd. I knew back in the day there were boot disks but just assumed since we have no disk drives (as default) anymore the concept was gone.

#4 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,039 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 29, 2015 - 5:39 am

UPDATE: apparently iso images are no longer easily available. I'm backing everything onto usb to just do factory reset THEN creating the recovery disc.

#5 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 29, 2015 - 3:41 pm

Depends on what you need an ISO of. MS has some of the newer software you can DL an ISO of just takes some searching to find what you need. :)

#6 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jan 3, 2016 - 3:50 pm

What operating system are you using? 

Have you tried running those virus removal programs in Safe Mode?  Press F8 while booting up.  When you enter into safe mode, update them, then run them.  The virus may be attempting to repair itself while you are running the computer in normal mode.

Also, if you can give us a log of one of the programs showing what it is finding, we may find something that can remove it. 

Unless, of course, you have already reinstalled everything....lol

#7 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,039 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 5, 2016 - 7:03 am

Unless, of course, you have already reinstalled everything....lol

ALMOST. I was ready to with only outlook and favorites needing backup but my mother has NOW decided to delete years old emails so I'm giving her time for that, although considering she's doing on an ipad not sure how/if that will translate.

My brother insists that an iPad is the way to go, he doesn't grasp: how clumsy they are, how bad their eyesight is, the fact i have no knowledge of apple and no real desire to learn a new system to help them everytime the have a question or issue. Heck,she dropped a $40 remote and broke it Then dunked it's replacement in a mug of coffee. That's not even considering my dad's fat fingers or less than gentle demeanor, a case can only do so much.

#8 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 5, 2016 - 9:28 am

Ya iPad is great for some and BAD for some others lol.

#9 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,039 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 9, 2016 - 6:26 pm

I bit the bullet and reset to factory settings last night then tried to install office I'd purchased to work but they sent download info to work email. Might drop by tomorrow to forward info or just bring laptop home since it might be an ordeal

#10 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,039 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 16, 2016 - 7:20 am

:/ it all looked good got office installed and then restarted and got a dhcp boot error.I'm guessing hard drive is faulty

#11 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Jan 16, 2016 - 2:41 pm

Possibly the original problem.  Formatting the whole drive and reinstalling from a CD/USB may temporarily resolve the issue.  You may check in the BIOS to see if it even recognizes the drive.  Possibly try to reseat it also as it could have come loose.  Also, try flashing the BIOS.  If you had a virus that got into the BIOS, it could have become corrupt.

SSDs have come down in price to very reasonable levels.  If you don't need much space, you can get a 120GB for around $50 and 240GB for less than $100.  It will really wake up your computer.

Edited by laddhorn, Jan 16, 2016 - 2:42 pm.

#12 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 18, 2016 - 8:11 am

Some of the virus's out there now are actually rewriting the firmware on some drives. Scary stuff.

#13 tinkrbel  OFFLINE  

tinkrbel

• 7,039 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 18, 2016 - 4:30 pm

Possibly the original problem.  Formatting the whole drive and reinstalling from a CD/USB may temporarily resolve the issue.  You may check in the BIOS to see if it even recognizes the drive.  Possibly try to reseat it also as it could have come loose.  Also, try flashing the BIOS.  If you had a virus that got into the BIOS, it could have become corrupt.

SSDs have come down in price to very reasonable levels.  If you don't need much space, you can get a 120GB for around $50 and 240GB for less than $100.  It will really wake up your computer.

pc didnt come with a cd so  I can't reinstall only run a recovery disk unless I can borrow a disk from someone. Generally. shutting off and restarting works so could be a seating issue. I'll have a look when I get home. I have external drives so space isnt really an issue I just haven't priced an SSD in quite a while. For now the ipad is working out for her, even if i do get gibberish emails and spend entirely too long trying to figure out what may have been autocorrected or meant the letter next to it on keyboard. Worst case, i can let her play with my laptop and hope it survives :)

#14 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,702 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Jan 19, 2016 - 6:45 am

Could always get her a Keyboard case for the ipad. Might make the typing a little better :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users