Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

2 Tech Questions: 1) Xbox One/Kinect & 2) TV Soundbar

13 replies to this topic

#1 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 30, 2015 - 10:12 am

1)  My son has the XBox 360 and we are considering buying the Xbox One finally for him for Christmas.  He has the Kinect product for the Xbox 360...can he just use that one with the new Xbox One or does he need a new Kinect product specifically made for the One version?  

2)  My parents have a Vizio tv that works fine except for the sound/speakers.  If they hook up a soundbar to it, will that bypass the tv speakers and possibly be a solution so they are not scrapping a perfectly good tv just because the speaker has taken a nosedive?  And if the soundbar would be an option, any recommendations?

TIA! 

Live, Laugh, Love...It's All Good!:D

#2 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,620 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 30, 2015 - 11:50 am

1) Yes the Kinect is specific to the One for that console.

2) I had the same issue and was able to hook up external speakers. Everything worked fine while I was waiting for BB to fix the TV then they came back and said of your parts are on national back order and it could be 9-12 months for parts so we will allow you to bring the TV back in for an exchange (one of the times the extended warranty worked in my favor) took in a 32" left with a 40" for the cost of a new extended warranty lol.

#3 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,994 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 30, 2015 - 11:59 am

Thanks, Kanyon71!

1)  That's what I was afraid of...ugh more money out of pocket!

2)  Ok we're going to try a soundbar and see if that works.  No warranty left on this one, so it's either get a new one or try this option...I'm all for the bargain option!  LOL

#4 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,620 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 30, 2015 - 1:39 pm

I honestly didn't even get the Kinect this time I used it so little on the 360. Ya I feel your pain there never fun HAVING to replace a TV. Wanting a new one and getting is is a WHOLE different ballgame.

#5 magickallight  ONLINE  

magickallight

• 54,882 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 30, 2015 - 7:58 pm

Stupid question here - but WHAT is the Kinect used for? I ordered son an Xbox 1 without one and now (after it is ordered) he says he thinks he needs it... looks to me like it is used for sports and dance games (which he does not play) - but maybe I am wrong...

“The more I know about people, the more I love my dog.” ~ Mark Twain.

#6 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,620 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 1, 2015 - 5:19 am

I don't know what games require it but I know nothing I have played on the XOne has needed it. On the 360 I had like 2-3 games that needed it and they rarely got played was a pain to get it working all the time sort of took the enjoyment out of it. On the one you can control the unit with it but that always seemed more a gimmick.

#7 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,994 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 1, 2015 - 6:04 am

I honestly don't know if he'll need the Kinect if he has a headset...that's primarily what our son used it for...talking to the other gamers playing online with him.  He's not a sports/dance person, so mainly I think he uses it just for being able to communicate without the headset.

#8 Monstermile  OFFLINE  

Monstermile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Dec 1, 2015 - 6:54 am

In relation to the soundbar. Check to see if their set has a optical output. It is a square jack. If it does and the soundbar has optical input it will work fine. Most do have optical input.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

Edited by Monstermile, Dec 1, 2015 - 6:55 am.

#9 Crue2001  OFFLINE  

Crue2001

• 1,994 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 1, 2015 - 7:42 am

Thanks for that info, Monstermile...I'm heading over there tonight to help them with something else & to shop a soundbar for them...that will be a good thing to check first!  :)

#10 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,074 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 1, 2015 - 2:07 pm

Well, depends on what broke.  If your parents happened to jsut blow both speakers on the TV (most have two) at the same time (unlikely), then hooking up a soundbar would likely work just fine.

If the TV's internal sound processer bit the dust, then it might still not work.

Here's the thing - you need to hook something up to the audio out ports on the back of the TV.

The TV may have a optical out port like Monster alluded to - that would be the best option, sound quality wise, but requires that the external seaker solution you come up with to have an optical in capability (many sound bars do).

The TV may have the old red and white "RCA" plugs for audio out.  This is kinda the default thing most likely to be there.

The TV may have a headphone out port.  This would be the easiest way to test if the TV is capable of sending sound to a soundbar.  So plug in your headphones or earbuds and see if you can hear.  You might need to wander through the TV's setup options to turn on the audio out functionality.

If yout TVisn't sending a sound signal, you might stll have a solution by plugging in the soundbar to the cable box directly.  But the TV remote might or might not be able to control that volume...

Soundbars vary a great deal in cost and performance.  You could buy soundbars for as little as $30 I think a few days ago.  Probably still under $50 if you look.  They probably won't blow you away with their quality, but it is a step out of the silent movie range.  :)

And then there are soundbars from the likes of Polk, JBL, Klipsch, Bose, JBL and others that will really knock your socks off.  But those will be several hundred to more than a thousand dollars.

This right here is a great deal (at about $200) on a quality sound solution if you can set your TV on top of it.  It is much deeper than a regular soundbar that you can mount under a TV hung on the wall though.

http://www.amazon.co...3_t2_B00N1SSX6Q

Edited by Pnambic, Dec 2, 2015 - 8:04 pm.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#11 laddhorn  OFFLINE  

laddhorn

• 1,006 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Dec 2, 2015 - 5:04 am

If the TV's sound board is completely blown and none of the sound outputs work, you can still get a DVD player or some other input device with separate sound output and run the video inputs through that.  A "surround sound" DVD (or bluray) player would solve any other sound problems.  It is a little more cumbersome than the soundbar though.

#12 Monstermile  OFFLINE  

Monstermile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Dec 2, 2015 - 6:38 am

Good call on the soundboard guys. I was going on the assumption that they knew it was just the speakers that were blown. If the board is shot then no audio output from the set would work. That is where things get tricky. If you use a soundbar you could hook it up directly to your cable/sat box. But that leaves the DVD or blu-ray player out. Unless the soundbar has multiple inputs. If we knew a little more about the set it would help. If it has Bluetooth that is an option for pairing certain soundbars.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

Edited by Monstermile, Dec 2, 2015 - 6:38 am.

#13 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,620 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Dec 2, 2015 - 6:44 am

Actually it depends on WHAT on the soundboard went out. In my TV that had sound issues it was the soundboard that went bad. I had to go to the menu and turn off the internals once that was done I was able to drive the sound to external source until the point that they just decided to replace it (was more than a month). My thought is if you have the ability to push the sound to an outside source (Optical, RCA are best bets) then give it a shot and see what you get. Worst case it doesn't work and you return the soundbar and end up with a new TV.

#14 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,074 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 8, 2015 - 12:43 pm

So, what's the word on the TV speakers?

Edited by Pnambic, Dec 8, 2015 - 12:43 pm.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users