Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Chrome book

3 replies to this topic

#1 purplegop  OFFLINE  

purplegop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Nov 30, 2015 - 8:17 am

So my daughter tells me three days after BF that she would like a chrome book. I am confused by all the different options there are. She has a desktop (mostly for photo editing) and a laptop (for everything else)...she primarily wants a chrome book to take to school with her bc it is small and lighter weight and this is the system her school uses. It would be a dedicated system for her school work only, so basically just to post on school discussion boards, upload assignments, etc. She is currently using her iPhone or Galaxy tab for this type of stuff, but wants something a bit bigger and with a keyboard. That said, I had no idea how many options and brands there were! Everything I have read seems to steer me away from buying a chrome book...but, I think for her application it ok (no expectations of it being a laptop replacement). I guess my question is...which one should I get? What brands are best? Thanks in advance!

#2 sf49erfreak  OFFLINE  

sf49erfreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Nov 30, 2015 - 11:47 pm

I have a samsung chromebook. Ive had it for a couple years and i like it.

#3 Carazariah  OFFLINE  

Carazariah

Looking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Dec 1, 2015 - 7:13 am

I have the 2nd Samsung Chromebook and really like it - I got my second the first 2014 Toshiba Chromebook 2 this last Spring and find it is quite a bit zippier with the faster processor and 4GB of RAM.  Unlike a Windows box 2GB of RAM and a Celeron processor give you quite a zippy speedy device.  For a $300 budget I would lean towards the new 2015 Toshiba Chromebook, confusingly still called the Toshiba Chromebook 2 http://us.toshiba.co...tops/chromebookFor a budget of $150 look at the Acer 11.6 or Acer 13 these are both going to be 2GB RAM and Celeron processor most will not have HD screens at this price point.  The Toshiba CB 2 at the $250 and up has a 1080P screen really nice.   The Lenovo base system reviews out well too. . . .you are right lots of choices but currently Google keeps making them faster so my first Chromebook from 2013 is faster than the day I bought it and my 9 year old uses that model at his school as well, he mostly uses it for youtube videos at home but it's simple to use.

Just pulled this Asus from GroupOn it is pretty good for just a bit over the $150 budget https://www.groupon....-4g16gb-c300ma¬†

Here are some helpful tips for a Chromedevice http://www.howtogeek...em-information/

Differences My Toshiba Chromebook2 has an Nvidia processor for the primary chip the new one has a choice between a Celeron and a Haswell Intel processor depending on price point - Really just a budget and ascetics choice.  For the $250 and up you can get a rugged education quality cb from Dell as well that has some shock resistance built in even w/o a cover/case.  Acer 740 is that model.  

~The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. ~  GW

#4 purplegop  OFFLINE  

purplegop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 Posts
  • Member since 2010

Posted Dec 2, 2015 - 3:27 pm

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I ordered the Toshiba chrome book 2 with 4GB RAM for $259 from their website. Hope she likes it...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users