Sewing Machine Help

mychza

I know nothing about sewing or sewing machines.   The last time I touched one was my high school home economics class.   :)  My 11 year old daughter is very crafty however, and is expressing interest in learning to sew.  I want to get her a sewing machine for Christmas.  Below are the deals for Black Friday.  I'm wondering, are these good deals?  Which is the best for a beginner?  Her grandmother is getting her some classes at Joanns and some cloth.  Thanks for the advice. 

-Myzsa

Walmart   Home Items http://i.gottadeal.com/blackfriday/images/layout/pic.png Brother LX 301414-Stitch Sewing Machine $49.97   http://i.gottadeal.com/blackfriday/images/layout/pic.png Brother Project Runway100-Stitch Sewing Machine $99.00      Kohl's   Home Items http://i.gottadeal.com/blackfriday/images/layout/pic.png Singer Prelude 8280 Mechanical Sewing Machine $69.99      Target   Home Items http://i.gottadeal.com/blackfriday/images/layout/pic.png Singer Sewing Machine w/ Project Kit $59.99   Edited by mychza

I know nothing about sewing or sewing machines.   The last time I touched one was my high school home economics class.   :)  My 11 year old daughter is very crafty however, and is expressing interest in learning to sew.  I want to get her a sewing machine for Christmas.  Below are the deals for Black Friday.  I'm wondering, are these good deals?  Which is the best for a beginner?  Her grandmother is getting her some classes at Joanns and some cloth.  Thanks for the advice. 

-Myzsa

unless I am overlooking them, i dont see which ones you want advice on

Both Singer and Brother are very good brands. My sister has a Singer, while I have a brother.

That being said I wouldn't get the one from target that looks like the machine my niece got, and if your daughter really is crafty it will drive her nuts very fast, due to its limited functionality.

Now as far as the other machines,

The brother LX is from a very good line of "basic" machines, that's what I have mine is an older model bought in 03, it works very well for what I use it for, though I don't really use it all that often.

The Singer prelude is also a very good "basic" machine my sister has been very happy with hers. The Singer has eight stitch options where as the brother LX has 14 stitch options. The price difference comes from Singer being a well known brand not that they're a better brand. The difference in stitch count and price would make me go for the brother LX over the Singer prelude. Though both are good machines.

The Brother project runway is a "computerized" machine with a lot more options as far as stitches, & button holes.

The main difference between a basic and computerized machines is obviously the computer inside the machine. Basic machines last, I know someone with a basic that she got 35 years ago that still works well. Computerized machines do eventually need parts replaced, though as long as you don't get a faulty machine it's years down the line before you should have to worry about replacing anything.

So if you think that she'll use it a lot, for clothes and a bunch of other things then I'd go for the project runway.

But if you think she'll only use it maybe a couple times a month then I'd go for the brother LX.

Hope that helps.

One tip, YouTube as a lot of sewing tutorials. Some of the best basic starting clothes projects I've found are by Annika Victoria.

Edit: Since you know nothing about sewing I realized that there is one other thing you should know, that either you or her grandma should pick up for her, and that's pinking shears. You can get them at Walmart or JoAnns, they're not expensive and they make a big difference. Pinking shears are a type of scissors that have a zigzag blade instead of straight blade. You use them to cut fabric so it doesn't fray.

Edited by Megara211

I have sewn for many, many years, and I'm not easy on machines...my friends joke that sewing machine companies should hire me to test their machines before they take them to market.  All that to say, about 3 or 4 years ago my hubby bought me a Brother machine from Walmart, very similar to the Project Runway machine listed above.  I've used it alongside my (very pricey) computerized machine for years, and while there is a difference in stitch quality (as there should be), I'm convinced you can't get a better machine for the same money.  I've made hundreds of fleece hats and scarves (sewing through 4 layers of fleece at once is a challenge for any home machine!), and I haven't killed it yet.  I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed it.  I might pick up the PR machine as a backup anyway, this week.  My experience has been that with new sewists, it's better to have a machine that works well, than it is to have one with a lot of bells and whistles...timing issues, tension problems, etc, all make for a very frustrating experience, especially for someone who's new to the craft.  I think the Brother machines balance the "fun factor" with the "it just works" factor pretty well. 

I sewed at home piecework 12 years. I don't recommend any of them. They have plastic internal parts which make them throwaways when they break. Thats straight from my repairmans mouth. I use only  janome , but my janome costs over 1500.00. You can buy a nice starting janome for around 200 at xmas half price. I started that way 30 years ago. I have 4 total janome machines. Its best to buy a good one than be frustrated when you can't get one to work with the tension

• Like 1

I sewed at home piecework 12 years. I don't recommend any of them. They have plastic internal parts which make them throwaways when they break. Thats straight from my repairmans mouth. I use only  janome , but my janome costs over 1500.00. You can buy a nice starting janome for around 200 at xmas half price. I started that way 30 years ago. I have 4 total janome machines. Its best to buy a good one than be frustrated when you can't get one to work with the tension

where might the janome being on sale, 

Of the ones you listed, I would go with one of the Brothers from Walmart. That said, did you look at Joann's?  They have all of their machines on sale, so you may find a better one for the same price. 

Extras to include in the gift- extra needles, extra metal bobbins, and a seam ripper

Janome is the brand that most shops use that isn't industrial. My daughter wanted one so I found one on sale at Hancock fabric. Tested it out and it worked great and easy to use. We have the 8050 model which you can use a push button start stop with a speed slider instead of using the pedal which also comes with. I've used it a few times and I really like it too. Some that only run with the pedal also have a speed slider so you can set how fast that way and not just foot pressure. They have a mini one on sale for $49.99. http://hancockfabrics.com/janome-sew-mini-124-sewing-machine-1196492.html Janome's are totally enclosed so you never have to oil them. Janome also makes a Hello Kitty model if that is her thing. Walmart has several different Janome including a couple of Hello Kitty. Jo-Ann's also has Janome but online only. Other sewing machines that are in my house include Sears Kenmore and Singer. I think both of you would be very happy with Janome.

• Like 1

I have a Janome 525s and have had it for about 10 years.  I don't use it a ton, but I do love it.  I think I paid around $200 for it. I have done buttonholes on it and it was super easy - you put the button you want to use, in the holder, and it automatically makes the hole the correct size for the button.

I once heard that the Singer machines that you find at WalMart are specifically made for Wal Mart and aren't as good of quality as "real" Singer machines. Not sure if it's true or not, but it has always made me wonder.    Although, for most novice sewers (or infrequent ones) - I am sure they would be just fine.