Doll suggestions needed for 7 year old

kayray

Every year we sponsor kids in the foster care system at Christmas.  This year, one is a seven year old who has requested a doll.  I inquired if she wanted a "Barbie type" or "baby doll" type and was told they thought "baby doll".  Budget can not exceed $20.  The reason for this is that hopefully when they are reunited with parents, that the parents will be able to provide a gift of the same value.

My question is should I get a true baby doll, or perhaps one of the dolls that is along the line of an American Girl?  Any suggestions from those with girls around this age is deeply appreciated!

• Like 1

I'm not a mom, but I have 6 neices, and a 6 (& 1/2) year old sister, plus I used to work at a summer day camp. Personally I think an american girl type doll would be better for a 7 year old. I forget the brand name but there is a doll line that is sold at both michaels and joann's that you could use a coupon on. Another thing with getting an american girl type doll (18" doll) is that the clothes and accessories are interchangeable between the lines so wheather she goes back to her parents or onto another foster family she will easily be able to get more things for her doll.

Thank you for doing what you are for those kids. I got lucky and was adopted straight away, but my brothers were in and out of the system for years before they found homes.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your lead on the doll!  I think I found the one you were talking about.  It has a stuffed body, so I think it might be good to cuddle with if that is what she wants. It looks like my local Joann's has some in stock.  I am going to stop on my way home to check it out. 

We started buying for foster kids at work years ago when we decided it was silly to exchange small gifts with one another, and decided to buy for the kids instead.  It is now one of the highlights of our Christmas season when we get the list of kids we are buying for.  We all try really hard to find them all exactly what is on their wish list!

• Like 6

I'm not a mom, but I have 6 neices, and a 6 (& 1/2) year old sister, plus I used to work at a summer day camp. Personally I think an american girl type doll would be better for a 7 year old. I forget the brand name but there is a doll line that is sold at both michaels and joann's that you could use a coupon on. Another thing with getting an american girl type doll (18" doll) is that the clothes and accessories are interchangeable between the lines so wheather she goes back to her parents or onto another foster family she will easily be able to get more things for her doll.

Thank you for doing what you are for those kids. I got lucky and was adopted straight away, but my brothers were in and out of the system for years before they found homes.

Just wanted to thank you again for your great suggestion!  Lucky for me I have a Michael's and JoAnn's a few doors from each other so I stopped at both last night.  I found a beautiful 18" doll that looks very much like an American Girl.  She has a soft body, so good for snuggling as well.  Using my 50% off coupon she was only $12.50. I think I will have enough left to add a pair of pajamas.  It was a far better deal than even any BF deal I found.

• Like 2