Has Anyone Tried to get the bargain Laptop Before?

MariahA

My mother wants to try for the $199 HP Laptop this year. Our store has used wristbands the last several years but I was wondering, how early do people usually have to get to the store to get a wristband/the laptop? We don't usually go for the bigger items, so if anyone has an idea on timeframe for getting in line and getting the computer I'd appreciate it! The ad says there will be a minimum of 6 per store and ours usually has more than the minimum but not by much.

Thanks!

I remember the first year of the $199 laptops at Walmart.  It was before the wrist bands, so I don't know how hard it is now with the bands.  But people lined up early, very early. 

I would just suggest you find out where they are before you get to the store.  I missed out one year because they had us standing in the wrong line.  By the time we got to the right department, the line was too long.  People had started standing in my line that morning and didn't get one because of misinformation.  That's usually one of the most sought after items. 

Bring a camping chair (or buy one) and plan to sit in line for a long time. Talk to a co manager or general manager to make sure you are in the correct line, then if you are not you have at least talked to someone who can make it right if they gave you bad information. Be friendly and get to know the associate who is guarding the stock, as they can be your best friend when you they are handing them out. Last time I went after something like that at walmart I picked a slower store and got there about 8 hours early. Did not see anyone else for 2 hours. Your results may vary, though, depending on the store you pick.Worst case you can pay $50 more and be guaranteed one with the one hour deal.

We got to our store just about an hour early and there was about 30 other people waiting in line already and they still had some left when we got ours.  And this was a busy store.  It was the main item we went after and didn't care about much else.  It was very smooth while most of the rest of the store was in gridlock!    They had plenty for everyone in line so you just never know.

ETA and ours was in the Home/craft section at the back of the store....

Edited by 1angelnhvn

We got there at 5pm, and did not get it. That was as early as she would get there. They gave out the wristbands starting at 4pm, so now we know, 2 hours prior to start time. That's company policy according to the employees in charge of wristbands. We got her in line for the 1 hour guarantee touchscreen so I get to set that up for her at some point this week. She got one of the last ones in store. Thanks to everyone who discussed this and for the advice!

We got there at 5pm, and did not get it. That was as early as she would get there. They gave out the wristbands starting at 4pm, so now we know, 2 hours prior to start time. That's company policy according to the employees in charge of wristbands. We got her in line for the 1 hour guarantee touchscreen so I get to set that up for her at some point this week. She got one of the last ones in store. Thanks to everyone who discussed this and for the advice!

They will give the wristbands out UP TO 2 HOURS ahead; but not all WalMart stores will follow that; just to note.  Also, do you know that 4pm was early enough to get there?  There may have already been 28 people in line for 17 laptops by 4pm and even though they handed out wristbands at that time doesn't mean everyone in line by that time received one...

I know, and figure they were already gone at 4. If I had been needing it I would have been there at 12 or 1 to be in line, but my mom won't hear of being at a store more then an hour and a half early. Our store usually tells you if you're in line for something and there isn't enough for you to have 1; started that after someone got a little huffy with the employees guarding an item a few years ago.