What's the rage with dash cams?

bribri25

You can monitor your kids' driving habits. (If you have way too much time on your hands.)  But maybe just the threat that you could would be enough to improve their driving.

You can use as proof in case of an accident that the other driver pulled out in front of you, or your light was green, or they wandered out of their lane, or...

Best use though is for people who like to race their cars (on tracks - not public roads) so they can go back and critique their lines, braking points, etc.  Also to share online.

• Like 1

I am so glad I opened this thread! I didn't even know you could just go out and buy a dash cam. I have a son who will be getting his license in December, and I am so worried that he will use his cell phone while driving. Maybe if I put one of these in the car it would deter him. He is always a good driver now, but I am always in the car because he just has a permit. It is so scary to think about him getting hurt or making bad decisions when I am not around. I will look into these now. Is there a brand that is thought to be the best? Any special features I should look for? I am assuming they are on sale for BF somewhere, or this thread wouldn't be here. Off to check the ads!!

• Like 1

I am so glad I opened this thread! I didn't even know you could just go out and buy a dash cam. I have a son who will be getting his license in December, and I am so worried that he will use his cell phone while driving. Maybe if I put one of these in the car it would deter him. He is always a good driver now, but I am always in the car because he just has a permit. It is so scary to think about him getting hurt or making bad decisions when I am not around. I will look into these now. Is there a brand that is thought to be the best? Any special features I should look for? I am assuming they are on sale for BF somewhere, or this thread wouldn't be here. Off to check the ads!!

Ha!  Yeah, I saw them in so many ads and couldn't resist starting this thread.  I'm curious what people use them for; Uber totally makes sense, catching dumb stuff on camera to post to YouTube sounds like something people would do... :gdstooges: ...

As far as using it for your son, it would certainly deter him from making bad decisions, but also could be turned off, etc., such that it may not always serve its purpose.  Plus, you wouldn't want to go back and actually watch all of his footage every time he drives.

Ha!  Yeah, I saw them in so many ads and couldn't resist starting this thread.  I'm curious what people use them for; Uber totally makes sense, catching dumb stuff on camera to post to YouTube sounds like something people would do... :gdstooges: ...

As far as using it for your son, it would certainly deter him from making bad decisions, but also could be turned off, etc., such that it may not always serve its purpose.  Plus, you wouldn't want to go back and actually watch all of his footage every time he drives.

You're right; I don't want to go back and watch the footage every time he drives. Still, I think even having it there might deter some bad behaviors. it couldn't hurt. Last summer he and his buddies were sleeping half the day and then doing stupid stuff at my house while my husband and I were at work. I was tipped off by a concerned neighbor, and decided to take a couple hours off and drive all the way home one day to see what was going on around lunch time. After that one time coming home to check on them their habits improved immensely (as was confirmed by my wonderfully nosy neighbor who is retired and enjoys keeping tabs on the neighborhood kids - he really is good to have around). I am thinking the dash cam might help him stay mindful when he is driving. Kind of the same idea - if I watch the footage (in front of him) a few times, he will know that it is possible I could watch it at any time. At least for the first few months. The price is low enough that I am willing to get one and at least try.

• Like 2

Earlier this year, a 16 year old rear ended me on the interstate doing 75mph during inclement weather and in a contruction zone of all things. He was zipping in and out of traffic and he was on his cell phone. Getting to his friends house was apparently all too important, and now his mother is being sued as a result. Good luck to you, I hope your child is more responsible.

Earlier this year, a 16 year old rear ended me on the interstate doing 75mph during inclement weather and in a contruction zone of all things. He was zipping in and out of traffic and he was on his cell phone. Getting to his friends house was apparently all too important, and now his mother is being sued as a result. Good luck to you, I hope your child is more responsible.

Oh my gosh, that's awful! I hope he is too. I don't use my cell phone in the car and I have tried to explain to him over and over that it is a deadly game you play when you drive distracted. I know I was a teenager once and thought that bad things would never happen to me. He is a good kid, but it only takes one stupid mistake to alter a life forever. That is why I am doing anything I can think of to push him to make smart decisions. It's scary letting them grow up.