Black Friday Printer advice

Tigger97498

I am shopping for a new printer and completely over whelmed. I am bouncing between the HP deskjet 2540 that's already on sale for $19 online at Walmart, the 2545 that's on black Friday special at best buy and Kohl's for 19.99 (it looks to be the same as the 2540 essentially) or spend a little more and get an envy. Any advice? I don't print much color but with the right price color ink I pry would print more color. The HP 61 ink that the 2540 and 2541 use seems cheap on amazon. I have seen some Envy's that use that ink too. I know everyone says the Envy's thermal technology is great but with the 2545 having the thermal too are you just paying for the envy name?

Buy a laser printer if you do not need to print in color.

It will last you much longer, the toner cartridges last much longer.

I've had my laserjet for over 10 years. I've bought three or four toner cartridges over that time.  Probably spent less than I would have paid if it was an inkjet and I had to keep buying cartridges.  After I had an Epson that refused to take refills or aftermarket cartridges, I was done with inkjets forever.

Buy a laser printer if you do not need to print in color.

I have an HP CP2025DN color laser which has not been powered on for more than a year -- despite the fact that I have three complete sets of toner carts in stock.  It's a workhorse and makes nice prints, but is much more expensive to operate than the MX882 that sits beside it.  It uses more electricity and the toner carts are $100 per set via Meritline and $500 per set via Staples.

The MX882 cost $60 at Staples a long time ago.  We bought it as a scanner because it had an ADH and can scan two sided documents unattended.  It's also a fax and does edge to edge photos.  We started printing with it when ink cartridges dropped to $0.75 on Meritline.  We pay $0.75 per ink cartridge, print, then recycle the cartridges at Staples for $2 each.  In other words, I am literally printing money!

The MX882 is no longer being made, but the MX922 has replaced it.  The math is not quite as good with the MX922, but it is still a good deal.  It's $69.99 on BF, has been $79.99 recently, and is $99.99 starting Sunday...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-2621-CanonPixmaMX922WirelessAllinOne.html

The ink is $17/set of six via Meritline, but is routinely discounted via a code in their daily email.  The last set I purchased was $17 for two sets -- $1.42/cartridge even if you do not recycle.

http://www.meritline.com/canon-pgi-250xl-plus-cli-251xl-ink-compatible-high-yield-with-new-chip-combo-6-2-black---p-124409.aspx?strcoup=MLCV15MN&dealid=26&sectionid=N755&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter151015&hq_e=el&hq_m=3166285&hq_l=58&hq_v=0b317170b4

Product Quantity Sub Total: Canon PGI-250XL + CLI-251XL Compatible High Yield Inkjet Cartridges With New Chip Combo: Two Pgi Black and One Each of Cli Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow-2 Sets (12 Cartridges)

SKU:125-454-002,  Ships from U.S warehouse. Most customers receive within one week.

Sold by Meritline.com 1 $26.95   Subtotal $26.95 Coupon(MLCV15MN): -$10.00 Shipping (Ground Service): $0.00 Tax: $0.00 Total: $16.95

The recycling thing required a Staples rewards membership.  Staples Rewards members receive $2 back in Staples Rewards for every eligible cartridge recycled in person at a Staples store or online at staples.com/rewards. Base members can earn $2 back on up to 10 recycled cartridges per calendar month and up to 20 for Plus & Premier members, if the member has spent at least $30 in ink and/or toner purchases at Staples over the previous 180 days. Ink Recycling rewards are issued monthly, separately from the standard Staples Rewards statement. Ink resellers and remanufactures are strictly prohibited from earning Ink Recycling Rewards.

Assuming a base membership, even if you have to buy ink every time you recycle to meet the 180 day requirement, you will be paying $34+$17 for 15 cartridges and getting $30 back in rewards.  That is a net cost of $21 for two sets of ink plus four cartridges.  

Well to be honest I'm kinda over Canon wireless and would prefer a HP wireless this time and not interested in laser I am just trying to figure out if there's really a difference between deskjet and envy. I am hesitant to really buy into just because the Envy's more expensive its better. That's why I want other as opinions. Edited by Tigger97498

i just got an envy at kmart half priced. had it laid away a month. its thermal ink . I love it. i had a lexmark for years and the windows 10 upgrade wouldn't let it work. I feel like im in a new century. couldn't justify a laser since its just for home, but my pics look like they come out of a magazine. I do vendor shows with my crafts, and ive been printing business cards and price tags and signs and they look so  nice. 

The HP61 ink is extremely common and I have found many printers at yard sales with unopened HP packages. I sometimes buy the extra packs. I have a brand new HP2620 (sealed box/yardsale) $30, and a Black Friday 2014 special HP2540 both of which use the HP61 cartridge.

The older Epsons had a reset program and will allow after market ink refills/cartridges. I have an R300 from 11 years ago still going strong, and have found two more with extra ink, so BF printers are out of the question for quite a while.

Edited by jaymacfla

I think printer quality is decent across the spectrum depending on what it is you plan to do with the printer. Some will be faster, better quality print, more features (scanner, copier, fax) and so on. A lot of it to me has come down to ink costs. I have had a Cannon MG5220 for about 3-4 years now, I pay under $5 for an entire set of ink on amazon and now and then they deals where I can get it as low and $1.50 for an entire set. So until this one dies or I can find a new one that uses the same ink I will be sticking with it lol.

its in the 2540 SERIES just like the 2545 so shouldnt be too much difference between it and the one that kohls and best buy have. I'm getting it if i cant get the one at best buy or kohls. That printer has the most affordable ink I have ever seen (by ordering it on amazon)

I'm sure if you're accounting for this, but it looks like the color cartridge is all one cartridge, rather than each of the Yellow/Magenta/Cyan all sold separately.  Would this mean there's less of each color when sold as a single cartridge?...I'm not sure, but possible.  I just don't want you to see it as half the price, when in reality you'll need to change it twice as often because there's half as much ink as the others.

I'm sure if you're accounting for this, but it looks like the color cartridge is all one cartridge, rather than each of the Yellow/Magenta/Cyan all sold separately. Would this mean there's less of each color when sold as a single cartridge?...I'm not sure, but possible. I just don't want you to see it as half the price, when in reality you'll need to change it twice as often because there's half as much ink as the others.

I'm aware I'm used to color inks that are sold as a single cartridge that's all I typically use
  • Like 1

I have 7 different printers each designed for a different kind of printing. I have one of the $20 HP black Friday specials, but I have only ever used the scanner. I really like HP's scanning software. Eventually I will replace it with an auto-feed HP, but it is fine for now.

Since I started using laser printers I have quit using ink for every day printing. I have a black laser and a color laser... by far the cheapest way to print. You never have to replace the cartridges, but when you do be prepared to drop some major money all at once.

I also have 3 canon wide format color printers. One uses dye based ink (Pro-100), one uses pigment based ink (pro-10) and the third uses cheap aftermarket ink for when my colors do not need to be exact (9000 mk 2). For lab quality prints (loads better than you will get at Walmart or the local drug store) I highly recommend genuine Canon inks and paper. When I used to have my photography company these printers totally changed the way I did business. They will run you about 20 to 25 cents per 4x6 photo, but the quality is the best I have seen in that price range and if you do not like something about the print you can adjust it and reprint without having to wait a week to get it in the mail. Be warned, though, that these printers are not designed to print documents so your results will not be good and you will spend a ton of money in ink if that is what you are using them for.

Finally I have a second color laser with higher DPI for better quality laser prints. The toner on this printer is considerably more than the others, though... so I use this only when the quality of my laser prints is important.

I just realized that I probably did not help you out much, but I spent all this time typing so I am going to share anyway. :) I will say that ink is a very expensive way to print for documents, but cost decreases dramatically with the second cartridge because it takes about 1/2 your original cartridge to get the ink in the line and to the print head. If you must use ink then buy generic cartridges. There is a difference in quality, but for printing an essay or website it does not really matter. Just make sure the printer you select has the features you want, and do not be afraid to hook up 2 or 3 (or 7) printers to the same computer if you have different printing needs.

• Like 3

I don't do very much printing but she wanted something that she could use to print from her iPad and Surface Pro wirelessly, so we recently bought an HP Envy 5660 at Best Buy for $89. My old printer still worked (an HP 810c inkjet that is 12 years old!) but we needed wireless printing.  We can even email documents to it to be printed.  Can automatically print double-sided. Very pleased with it so far.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ended biting and getting a new printer from Amazon on Black Friday. I bought the Pixma MX922 for $64, checked ink before I bought it. $17 for 5 full sets. Wasn't planning on getting a new one but this one has AirPrint and Auto Feed on the scanner as well as 2-sided printing. Hooked it up today haven't printed anything yet. Going to pass my other Canon on to my sister since her printer died on Saturday (worked out well)