Are the days of great deals behind us?

PCullen

I started BF shopping years ago.  Way before Facebook and sites like GottaDeal and when deals weren't widely broadcast.  Now it seems to me that the ads are just recycled from previous years.   I guess stores know that regardless of what they put in their ads, people will come.  People will pay whatever the price is because after all that's the BF mentality.  This year, the first in over a decade or two, I'll be shopping online.  There's nothing in the ads that entice me to stand in long lines and fight the crowds.  It's a sad day for me...I feel like this is the end of a shopping era! 

I think the sales leading up to BF will be as good if not better.  Just really, really disappointed this year and not too hopeful for next year either!

So talking it over last night with my husband, we decided next year in lieu of gifts, we're taking a family vacation.  I think the great deals are finally behind us...and we're starting a new tradition! 

• Like 4

I was really looking forward to shopping BF as We are behind on our Christmas shopping however I am having to rethink that. I still plan on going out, just don't think I will out as long as there doesn't seem to be any great deals on things that we have on our list. I will be keeping on eye on the sales during the next couple weeks. I am hoping for some great pre BF sales.

I know I've said this before.... but I miss the days that the stores had prizes and give-a-ways.  I know some do, but it use to be that they all did.  I actually am hoping for some really good pre-black Friday sales to pop up.

• Like 3

The deals definitely aren't what they were 20 years ago, when I first starting hitting the sales.  Back then, the stores really had to work to get people to show up at 6AM on the day after Thanksgiving, so the discounts were much bigger.  The prices really were prices you'd only see once per year.  These days, with people willing to camp out to save $100, if that, it's just not worth it.  The stores have seen that most people really don't follow prices and just fall for the hype that these discounts are amazing, so they don't have to offer much to get uninformed consumers to camp out for weak deals.  

• Like 4

The deals definitely aren't what they were 20 years ago, when I first starting hitting the sales.  Back then, the stores really had to work to get people to show up at 6AM on the day after Thanksgiving, so the discounts were much bigger.  The prices really were prices you'd only see once per year.  These days, with people willing to camp out to save $100, if that, it's just not worth it.  The stores have seen that most people really don't follow prices and just fall for the hype that these discounts are amazing, so they don't have to offer much to get uninformed consumers to camp out for weak deals.  

Exactly! 

Love the vacation idea, btw, OP! 

Between stores leaking their own ads early, pre-BF sales that are often lower than BF sales, and basically a whole new crowd of BF shoppers, I think BF has changed completely.

Problem is, I don't think the stores are changing to go with it. I've said for years if you aren't into tech gifts or you don't have a little one that is into fads, there isn't much selection.

Last year was one of the first years I honestly considered skipping. I ended up going but only for a short time to a few stores. This year, I just don't know. Most of my gifts are going to be clothes (teen and young 20s girls to buy for), which those sales just aren't great anymore on BF. I need a kids bike. I might hit the store I choose if I can't snag it online and be done.

Once upon a time, I could snag all my gifts (or almost) on BF and after dropping several hundred in one day be done. Now, I spend about the same, but I'm buying every week online at places with Pre-BF and post-BF sales - that I know about early because the stores themselves are leaking the info.

I personally don't think great deals is a thing of the past. I just think it all depends on who your having to buy for. If you have a child then it's great for toys and if you like electronics and games then it's good. I'm sure once I don't have to buy toys or electronics then I may feel like that about the sales but for now, I still think their pretty good. That's not to say every store has a great sales ad. Some just aren't good every year. You have your good ad years and your bad ad years.

I personally don't think great deals is a thing of the past. I just think it all depends on who your having to buy for. If you have a child then it's great for toys and if you like electronics and games then it's good. I'm sure once I don't have to buy toys or electronics then I may feel like that about the sales but for now, I still think their pretty good. That's not to say every store has a great sales ad. Some just aren't good every year. You have your good ad years and your bad ad years.

Sadly they electronics are not good this year like in the past. I have teens and that's what I really looking for. This year will be the first year in 20 years I may not go out.

Sadly they electronics are not good this year like in the past. I have teens and that's what I really looking for. This year will be the first year in 20 years I may not go out.

So true.  When Circuit City and CompUSA were still in business, the electronic deals seemed much better.  But that's what competition does sometimes.

• Like 1

I agree the ads are pretty lackluster. Aside from a couple cheap kitchen electronics and a few decent priced blurays not much to be had. I think I've been spoiled by awesome clearance finds throughout the year. I don't see many bluray/dvds this year which is a bonus for my storage system and wallet :)

for the first time in about 30 years - I may skip it this year too.  Mostly what I'm after is DVDs, and I can buy those online Thanksgiving morning.

But I'm already doing what the OP suggested.  Taking my kids to DisneyWorld to see the Osborne Lights for their final year.  And then headed to Universal for the new Harry Potter section.

Memories always last longer anyway.

I tend to  agree.  With the earlier opening times, there is not as much push to get the shoppers to come out as there used to be.  It seems that BF has moved away from the really good deals to ok deals at earlier times.  Great if that is what you want, just not for me.  I am doing most of my shopping on line and seeing some pretty good pre BF sales going on now so why wait?

for the first time in about 30 years - I may skip it this year too.  Mostly what I'm after is DVDs, and I can buy those online Thanksgiving morning.

But I'm already doing what the OP suggested.  Taking my kids to DisneyWorld to see the Osborne Lights for their final year.  And then headed to Universal for the new Harry Potter section.

We went to Universal this summer - Harry Potter was awesome! 

for the first time in about 30 years - I may skip it this year too. Mostly what I'm after is DVDs, and I can buy those online Thanksgiving morning.

But I'm already doing what the OP suggested. Taking my kids to DisneyWorld to see the Osborne Lights for their final year. And then headed to Universal for the new Harry Potter section.

We went to Universal this summer - Harry Potter was awesome!

We're going to Disney for a week in Feb. Kids are only 4&5, so a much different experience than Harry Potter World ;)

I should look for some threads on Disney to get advice for saving before & on the trip. :)

So true.  When Circuit City and CompUSA were still in business, the electronic deals seemed much better.  But that's what competition does sometimes.

In later years, most complaints were from these two stores. Both forgot where their bread was buttered and suffered a very well deserved demise.

Between stores leaking their own ads early, pre-BF sales that are often lower than BF sales, and basically a whole new crowd of BF shoppers, I think BF has changed completely.

Stores have always leaked their own ads, people have become accustomed to the few true leaks from the occasional employee.

I started BF shopping years ago.  Way before Facebook and sites like GottaDeal and when deals weren't widely broadcast.  Now it seems to me that the ads are just recycled from previous years.   I guess stores know that regardless of what they put in their ads, people will come.  People will pay whatever the price is because after all that's the BF mentality.  This year, the first in over a decade or two, I'll be shopping online.  There's nothing in the ads that entice me to stand in long lines and fight the crowds.  It's a sad day for me...I feel like this is the end of a shopping era! 

I think the sales leading up to BF will be as good if not better.  Just really, really disappointed this year and not too hopeful for next year either!

So talking it over last night with my husband, we decided next year in lieu of gifts, we're taking a family vacation.  I think the great deals are finally behind us...and we're starting a new tradition! 

Black Friday shopping is really not meant to supplement your needs on a yearly basis. It is meant for the shopper to find that item which fills a need, not a want. people tend to get hooked on the concept, go overboard and then as the years roll on, they collect so much junk that they are saturated. There are also other factors involved like the impression that your dollar magically went further in 2006 than in 2015. if you did a comparative study of those two years you would find that the quality and value of the offerings are far superior today than to those "glory days". I invite all of those who are feeling blue about the sales to take at least two to three years off from this particular sale event. I did the exact thing in the 1990's and emerged a better consumer for it. These days, I find joy in helping others that aren't already threatening to boycott Black Friday because there isn't a good sale on a 75 inch or larger HDTV. (true story).

As I looked at the various ads this year, I noticed the same themes others have commented on.  Electronics and toys are huge of course - same toys in most of the ads - and then the clothes and house ware items and some good deals on holiday decor - lights, etc.

I have moved away from using Black Friday as my Christmas gift buying go to.  I may get a couple things here and there - but by far my purchases are for our household.

Every year I buy a winter coat at BF prices in a size up and put it away for the following winter.  This year I'll also be picking up snowpants and snowboots for DS as well - wish me luck on finding the right sizes!

This is a great time of year for me to purchase comfy around the house clothes at great prices, yoga pants, plain long sleeve crew necks, etc.  Socks!  Underwear!  All the boring things!   :)  Between online sales a couple of trips to Meijer in person I'll have our family pretty stocked for the coming year.

My husband and I decided to skip getting a sitter and trying to go out in person to stores Thursday night because there is nothing in the ads "worth it" to us personally.  I think it just varies depending on where you are at in life.  

Last year I used the house ware deals to really restock us since we had lost quite a bit in a house fire and after insurance coverage ran out we needed a lot of the basics still.  BF prices were great for that!

I also think that BF prices are great opportunities for stretching your giving dollars farther.  Women's shelters, homeless shelters, etc. can really use a lot of the little, boring, basic stuff that you can get during these sales.  Or maybe you are doing an Angel Tree or whatever - I've seen others mention using BF sales to make their $ go farther which is brilliant!

I will miss going out with DH this year (he is going to stay home with DS while I run to Meijer) but maybe next year!!!

Edited by AuntJamelle

I agree with you.  Since I don't have children I use BF sales to replace household items/electronics and buy things I otherwise wouldn't during the year.  Of course I always buy some "fun" things for myself too and if I have my Angel Tree angel or Senior Tree tags I will definitely shop for those as well.  But no, I don't use BF sales to build my gift list either.  I usually have a list made prior to BF and if any of those items are there then yes, I will jump on them.  

Overall, I think there are still good deals to be had.  it just depends on what you are looking for on any given BF.  

• Like 1

I'm doing my BF shopping online at Kohls and Target (not sure if Target will have many of there BF deals online but they are to far to drive to anyways.) I'll probably go to Rite Aid, yep I know I said I couldn't find anything in their ad but that has changed, otherwise I'm skipping BF this year due to most of the ads. Instead I used my money on an investment. I'll also be going to a family party that day.

It depends on what you are looking for. I think it's for single parents, lower income parents who need the extra discount. I loved shopping for my dd25 when she was young. I could find crazy bargains for her Black Friday and all year. I think once you make a little more it's not as important. We are debt free. I learned from my parents Christmas should be what you can afford. I still think the best Christmas were the ones about family not about stuff. It's still the best time to get the special toy at a good price for child.

It depends on what you are looking for. I think it's for single parents, lower income parents who need the extra discount. I loved shopping for my dd25 when she was young. I could find crazy bargains for her Black Friday and all year. I think once you make a little more it's not as important. We are debt free. I learned from my parents Christmas should be what you can afford. I still think the best Christmas were the ones about family not about stuff. It's still the best time to get the special toy at a good price for child.

Trying not be offended, but, just wow!  I'm neither single nor low-income!  Some people just like getting the best price on something! 

• Like 4

Yes. I'm equally as offended. It's excitement to get such great deal on items....even for non low income, married fathers.  I'd rather get a good deal on things (even though I can still afford retail) and then I can take that extra money and use to donate to deserving charities rather than pouring it our my my pocket to the over-priced retailers.

I don't think Flosmoney intended to be offensive.  I think the point she was trying to make was this: Whether or not there are "great deals" on Black Friday may depend on your circumstances and where you are in life.  I know that when my kids were young, I counted on BF deals to get them the Christmas I thought they would want and deserved. The toy/game deals were (and still are, probably) "great".   Now that they are grown, I don't find much for them on Black Friday and much of what I buy is household items.  It's a week before BF, and I am practically done with my Christmas shopping.  I still love the hunt though.