Tri-band Wireless Router?

bribri25

Tri-Band should give you 3 Wireless Signals from the router 2 in the 5GHz Range and 1 in the 2.4GHz band, overall it should allow for better device connections and faster transfers. I have one of the Netgear Routers that I replaced an Amped Router with and I can tell you so far I am extremely satisfied with the new router. Connections are far more stable across the many devices we have in the house, the router in general seems to be a more responsive. All if all it's been a great experience even though I waffled about the price but stability was more important to me than a little savings.

• Like 1

I'm in the market as well.  Looking to edumacate myself on all this new fangled router terminology.

Thanks for the info Kanyon.

I miss my trusty old WRT54G...

My Western Digital dual band I got refurbed from NewEgg earlier this year has been acting really flakey.

The WRT54G wasn't even that long ago!!  And now there's 3 bands!  I don't even think I ever use the 2.4GHz band for anything...  I'm curious to see if prices come down by this time next year.  I've currently got a Dual-band coming off the cable modem and wired into another single-band router upstairs.  So I have 2 access points in the house.

Yeah, I would imagine this is fairly newish (AC3200 in July 2014, AC5300 in Oct 2015) and you won't really get blowout price on these.  I am a little surprised AC3200 didn't go a little lower considering the newer model just came out, but it is Staples.  The AC5300 is down $100 from retail (including from Amazon) and it's only be out for a month; I think that's a fairly good deal.

Tp be honest the largest thing I have gotten out of the new router which is very important to me is stability. As I said above I was using an Amped router which had good wireless coverage area but when your connections to the wireless drop and have to reconnect range doesn't really matter. I found it to have issues with many of the newer devices that allow for higher connection speeds. The new one has been rock solid for a couple months now.

Wow, that ain't cheap is it?

But if it works as well as you say it does, I'll pay the premium.

No sir it wasn't cheap. I got a good deal on Amazon on a sale I've also heard from a friend who has the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 that it cleared up a lot of his issues also. That one is a Dual Band but he said it's been very stable for him. I can only go by what I have had and what he tells me but both have been very positive results. I paid a decent amount for the Amped Wireless RTA15 I have now sitting in a box and was NOT happy to spend so much on the Netgear router but not worrying about my devices no longer being able to connect and then having to go reboot the router has more than been worth the extra money to me.

No sir it wasn't cheap. I got a good deal on Amazon on a sale I've also heard from a friend who has the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 that it cleared up a lot of his issues also. That one is a Dual Band but he said it's been very stable for him. I can only go by what I have had and what he tells me but both have been very positive results. I paid a decent amount for the Amped Wireless RTA15 I have now sitting in a box and was NOT happy to spend so much on the Netgear router but not worrying about my devices no longer being able to connect and then having to go reboot the router has more than been worth the extra money to me.

I've had my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 for almost 2 years now.  I think I have rebooted it twice to resolve connection issues.  It is fairly stable and is able to reach through my whole house.  (It is on the 2nd floor at the back of 3300 sqft.)  I can use a laptop on the 5GHz on my front porch.  It has been acting a little flaky recently, but not enough to warrant a reboot, yet.

• Like 1

We will be getting the AC5300 from Best Buy. Husband did the research and that's what will meet his needs. He needed one with "hackable" firmware. But he said with the vpn capabilities, that might not be needed anyway. It really will be nice not to have to reboot so often!

The Amazon Link is showing $234 the NewEgg link has the good price though. The only real difference is going to be Dual Band on this one. That's a great price though. Thought I was going to have to reboot mine today but it turned out to be my browser causing my slowdown lol.

wow I bought one a few days ago when this thread had started it was delivered today, the speed increase is amazing I am now flying around cruising the internet and that is with another computer and 3 other devices connected, usually we have 10-12 devices connected at once so I will see how it does when that happens, but I am impressed so far

wow I bought one a few days ago when this thread had started it was delivered today, the speed increase is amazing I am now flying around cruising the internet and that is with another computer and 3 other devices connected, usually we have 10-12 devices connected at once so I will see how it does when that happens, but I am impressed so far

Good deal glad it's working out so far for you. I'm still loving mine, I'm actually giving up other one that I replaced for this one. Sending it to my brother in-law since he isn't likely to have the issues I had with it.

I type to you now from my new Netgear Nighthawk X4.  So far, so good.

I haven't had to reconnect once since setting it up.  I was reconnecting my laptop a couple dozen times a day with the old WD dual band router.

Good deal hope yours works as well as mine has.

ell, we did get a free month sample of prescription flea med for each dog, so that was pretty deal.

Thanks, they will be okay. One dog had an ear infection, and shook her head so hard she busted a blood vessel in her ear and her ear was about an inch thick. :(