Time to get serious with Black Friday prep

arci122

I usually have my BF binder started by now. I have taken a lot of verbal abuse over it through the years, even though people always ask to see it.

This year in using my new IPad instead of printing out the ads when they are leaked. This has disappointed the scoffers, as they say it's not the same.

I have started my mini binder. Collecting the various coupons for stores. I also added a spot for any gift cards I have collected this year so I can use them up during marathon shopping week.

I have now gotten smarter and stored wish list items on my iPad so the sneaky ones can't see what has been crossed off.

Anyone else have ideas for prep?

• Like 1

I need to get organized.  I have my lists together but without some of the "big" ads I can't totally prepare.  I'll be mostly electronic this year as well using my ipad/iphone.  I'll have a folder with paper ads and a print out of my spreadsheet for back up.

• Like 1

I have been BF shopping for approx 20 years and I feel like such an amateur compared to most people!! My sister always has her tablet ready with lists and the ads saved while I have a loose piece of paper and pen that i have to try to keep up with.   Okay, gonna try this year.  It's time to get organized!!!!  :runaway:

• Like 1

I made my Christmas Planner yesterday and I am still old fashioned in wanting everything on paper. I have a binder for all the ads, receipts from stuff bought online, etc.  I consider myself pretty organized but this is new for me. LOL!  I usually just make a list of things I need to buy and keep it folded up in my purse and all the receipts in a bag.  I think this will work great this year.

• Like 1

I never print the ads, but I save them on my computer. I have a file every year named BF and then the year. In that file, I have a document (started as a document and now its a spreadsheet).

I have a few different things that I document: store hours, items I want to get, items that are *must have*, hours of stores, notes, etc. I also note other sales (Sears Friends and Family or coupons I have that expire before BF).

Then a column that I fill in after I look through all the ads to determine what order I hit the stores.

When this is all finished, the week of Thanksgiving, I print it out and have lists per store. I go through the physical ads when I have them and number the items as well (in case I can't be in two places at once).

All of this goes into a bag with a notepad (usually a composition book). In there, is an envelope with all my coupons and gift cards. That bag also holds all the actual ads when I get them. This way I have them all with me (or at least in the car) if I have a problem with something.

When I have ads, I flag my must have items or items I might have questions so that I can quickly get to them.

My process is totally streamlined and allows me to know exactly what I need, get in and get out and to the next store.

My BF partner tries to keep up with my organization, but hasn't been able to just yet.

• Like 1

I usually have my BF binder started by now. I have taken a lot of verbal abuse over it through the years, even though people always ask to see it.

This year in using my new IPad instead of printing out the ads when they are leaked. This has disappointed the scoffers, as they say it's not the same.

I have started my mini binder. Collecting the various coupons for stores. I also added a spot for any gift cards I have collected this year so I can use them up during marathon shopping week.

I have now gotten smarter and stored wish list items on my iPad so the sneaky ones can't see what has been crossed off.

Anyone else have ideas for prep?

Oh my gosh! That sounds awesome. You should post a tutorial.

I had my small folder of holiday recipes out at work and my friend asked if that was my Black Friday/Christmas folder. I laughed and said it was much too small. I use an expandable file folder to keep everything organized. Though I like the idea of switching to a binder - easier to access.

Wow!  I'm so very unorganized compared to most of you.  I just go armed with my wallet, list on a piece of paper, the paper ad itself for reference and a pen.  Sometimes I circle the items in the ad with a sharpie but usually it's just better for me to go with my list.  

I guess I would operate differently if I had to go to more than one store but usually it's just Walmart for the main sales since any other store is an hour or more away so those get done online. I do make lists for those online purchases though.  I'm a list maker by nature and need that piece of paper in my hand so I don't think I could ever convert to all electronic lists.  LOL

I have a list on my phone, which I'm especially loving this year with the ios9 update to notes, I can add little bullets that I can check off, pictures, etc. (I use it for everything from grocery shopping to just my daily "here's what needs to get done" lists.)

Soooo I have my kids' xmas lists on there along with the other items I want to get them, and then I have my little list of stuff I want for myself and others, and I'll take screen shots from ads as we get them and add them to my list.

Other than that, I'll just be armed with my wallet and fueled by coffee. And Pepto.

I still like my paper list because I can't hold my iPad as I run thru the store grabbing stuff! Lol people are saying they have coupons, but where r u Getting coupons for BF?? Most coupons I have expire right before BF! Help! I need some coupons! Edited by kellis4321

I still like my paper list because I can't hold my iPad as I run thru the store grabbing stuff! Lol people are saying they have coupons, but where r u Getting coupons for BF?? Most coupons I have expire right before BF! Help! I need some coupons!

Bath and Body works has a 10/30 that is good until Christmas.

Watch your mail, many are starting to get mailed.

Sears and Kmart have some online ones.

It's my Birthday month so I get some because of that.

Bed Bath and Beyond flyers

Harbor Freight.

Lowes 10%

I'm waiting for the last of the ads I need. Then I have a day (at least) of product/price checking between stores and my budget. Then come the lists in their finalized form. A list of what I'm getting by store, with the price in the ad, and my planned total. A list of what stores I'm going to, with when they open, when the doorbuster time ends, order that I plan to go to said stores, who is buying what at said store, how much I plan to spend at said store and how much "my parents" plan to spend at said store. I quote my parents cause my mom gives a list of things to pick up, and my dad gives me a list of things to pick up, and they give me the money to buy said items, but they stay home. The "gift list" which is hidden in my both in the secret pocket of my purse and in my phone/tablet. Which is the only place I list what I'm getting my parents, and anybody else who might see my lists.