Rumor: Target opening at 4pm on Thanksgiving?

Brad

Just got an email through the site from someone with a relative working at Target that says Target will open at 4pm on Thanksgiving Day.

Of course nothing confirmed yet, but I thought I'd post the rumor anyway.

Target opened at 6pm last year.

All these times are gettin worse and worse each year. Sears is opening at 6pm closing at 2am then opening again at 5am. like wth, poor workers wont be getting any sleep. so very sad if ya ask me :(

Surely the same employees that close at 2:00 won't have to be there to open at 5:00, right?

• Like 2

Surely the same employees that close at 2:00 won't have to be there to open at 5:00, right?

Highly doubtful!!!!  Borderline illegal. I can't even imagine the same crew working from 5pm all the way through til 2am.  However, they may work 5pm-9pm and then again at 4:30am...

• Like 1

I don't understand why people get upset by the opening times it's the nature of the beast for retail. I worked holidays when I worked retail it did not bother me so I can not assume it bothers those who work retail today. I enjoyed working BF when I did work retail because I was able to get my stuff before the crowds swarmed. [emoji3]
  • Like 4

Im sure all stores n employess will be diff, but both dh & ds have to wrk 5-2 then 8-5 next day, so basically 3 hrs sleep.lol we are use to it but it still makes me mad.

I don't understand why people get upset by the opening times it's the nature of the beast for retail. I worked holidays when I worked retail it did not bother me so I can not assume it bothers those who work retail today. I enjoyed working BF when I did work retail because I was able to get my stuff before the crowds swarmed. [emoji3]

Difference is, stores never opened up this early :)

Im sure all stores n employess will be diff, but both dh & ds have to wrk 5-2 then 8-5 next day, so basically 3 hrs sleep.lol we are use to it but it still makes me mad.

Difference is, stores never opened up this early :)

I still don't see the issue. I can't speak for retail employees but if they choose to work that's their decision. If they are mandated to work and they do not like it they are in the wrong field. BF/BT comes same time every year it should not be a surprise. Same for police, fire, paramedics and gas station attendants, they are required to work on holidays as well. [emoji5]️

I will say that where I worked management made it fun. They treated us to a full meal through the day meaning breakfast, lunch and dinner was catered by them. Not sure if from their pockets or if the home office comped it. No one complained because we volunteered for BF, it was fun when we were young...[emoji6]

• Like 3

Depending on where they work and if they've been there 6 months or more stores are paying holiday pay plus time and a half for those who volunteer to work on Thanksgiving. Those who don't volunteer still get holiday pay as long as they satisfy the normal requirements for holiday pay. It's not that big of a deal. Those who are doing a turn and burn with only 6 hours between shifts, that isn't legal in Oregon. 

The stores keep opening earlier because of all of us die hard BF shoppers who keep chasing the door buster sales. I hate that BF is no longer. Its more of a black Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving night sale for us. By the time Friday morning comes around, I have either ran out of money or ran out of steam to keep going and I am a die hard BF shopper but after 15 plus hours on my feet shopping, even I give out. shew. And, I just got my son's indoor soccer schedule and he has a game at 10pm on Black Friday. The nerve of these people. LOL Don't know how I"ll stay awake until then. It's going to be a challenge. 

6:00 PM is too early.  4:00 PM would be downright rude.

While Target is one of my favorite Black Friday stores, surprisingly, there is no target store in or near Burlington, Vermont, where I will be this year, so this one won't matter to me this year.