Alone or with a Buddy?

Dylansmommy

Always with a friend or two. It's more fun to shop together plus it's always helpful to have an extra pair of eyes to help you search for a specific deal or an extra pair of hands when you have too much stuff to hold and all the carts are gone.

I don't know if this counts, but I always go with DW.  We plan together, then shop together.  We also "divide and conquer" as needed.  I've dropped her off at the mall, went to another store to get what we wanted, then met her back at the mall to finish up.  Alone can be boring, but you can get more accomplished.  The key is being on the same plan.  If you both have separate plans, something will end up being sacrificed.

• Like 1

My first 2 years of Black Friday, I shopped with my best friend. Then it evolved to us meeting in line at TRU and then splitting up to individual stores; if we were hitting a store where the other needed something we would grab it. The last 5-6 years have seen me shopping by myself; I don't mind it though.

I shop with 2 of my best friends. I'm not married, but they are and their wives think it's hilarious that 3 guys in their mid thirties still go out and shop on Black Friday. We have been doing this for the last 10 years and I don't see it coming to an end anytime.
  • Like 2

Yeah, maybe I wasn't entirely specific.  Of course, having a helping hand is beneficial.  However, if you are both separately shopping for BF, but just happen to go together, it's likely not going to work because you will inevitably slow each other down at some point and potentially miss out on some of the deals.

I usually go with a group of 7-8 people but we split up and meet later if we need to. If we go to Walmart or Target only one person gets a cart so the rest of us can run around the store like crazy to get what we need which is very helpful. We usually go to the outlets near our town and we always split up there. There are just too many stores.

I go with my sister and my daughter in law. For years, it was just me and my sister. If there is a must have doorbuster at more than 1 store, we will split up then get back together later, but that hasn't happened in a few years.

• Like 1

I go alone. I can look around,get what I need and leave. Having another person usually slows me down or I hear complaining about how there is too many people, so I'd rather go at it alone.

This is exactly how I feel!  I hate having to be rushed out of a store or waiting around for someone else to be done.  I want to get what I need and get out and on to the next store.  I don't like excess baggage!  I would love if my husband would go...but there is nothing in the world that would motivate him to stand in line on BF! 

I kind of feel trapped because she doesn't want to go alone, and I don't want to go with anyone! 

• Like 1

I used to go with my nephew, but have been going alone for some years, as he has been in a different state than me.  I sometimes return home or hotel and take my wife out later, but she does not do the whole routine.  I would only want/accept going with someone if you share a similar understanding of the process you want to apply to avoid wasting time, such as waiting in separate lines, then rejoining.  The greater spread-out and internet options make it easier to work together now, though.

Edited by mcwalker
  • Like 1

I always shop Black Friday with my mom. We make a good no-fuss shopping pair. We brought a friend along once & even though they made for good company, we never invited anyone else along. It's been just the two of us ever since.

We have a "team" of 4 of us....we have a google document spreadsheet where we list what everyone wants by store.  We then divide up into 2 groups typically and go to two different stores.  Within each store we divide up and make a plan to get everything needed, we usually try to stand in line outside together and check out together, We pick up everything on the list for that store and then divide at the end of the night/morning.  Typically between the 4 of us, we get everything that is on our list. 

Just found out that my BF shopping this year will be alone.....  Nothing I haven't done before.....like I would stay home......baahaahaaaa....

I shop with 2 of my best friends. I'm not married, but they are and their wives think it's hilarious that 3 guys in their mid thirties still go out and shop on Black Friday. We have been doing this for the last 10 years and I don't see it coming to an end anytime.

LOVE that!  Good for you!

I've been alone, with one friend, with mutiple people.

I prefer it alone or with like-minded people. My BF partner and I have been shopping together almose 10 years now. We're pretty good at planning together. We divide and conquer. I need sheet sets and cameras? She needs video games and towels? Okay, no problem. We head to our respective big tickets and must haves and grab what we know the other wants or what we think they might want. She share lists, take pictures and send messages via phone.

Having an "underling" aka adult child that has no money but wants to go for the fun is great to have as a runner or line holder. I'll hold the line and send them for little stuff. Or have them hold the line while I go grab something.

If you have a system, I think a buddy is the way to go. I rarely get held up long enough for it to be a big deal and the advantages outweigh the down sides.

• Like 1