Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

VHS TO DVD CONVERTER

17 replies to this topic

#1 Jen08  OFFLINE  

Jen08

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 8:02 am

Ok, so I am not even sure if a Converter is what I'm looking for, but I am looking to buy something that will allow you to put all your videos from a VHS to a DVD.  I have heard that they sell something that allows you to do this, but I really don't know what I'm looking for.  I've called Walmart and Walgreens b/c I know they offer this service, but its super expensive.  I would love to get this and give to my parents since they have so many family videos on VHS and would like to convert them.  I also have a lot of family video on those small tapes.  I think their 8mm ones, but not 100% on if that's right and would like to convert them to a dvd as well. I'm thinking Best Busy would be the best place and I know my parents would love to have this, but I have no clue what its call.  Any help or suggestions?

Edited by Jen08, Oct 29, 2015 - 8:02 am.

#2 Tigger97498  OFFLINE  

Tigger97498

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 8:10 am

You need a DVD recorder that has a vcr deck on it

#3 bribri25  OFFLINE  

bribri25

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 8:39 am

You have a couple options.

As mentioned

The DVD Recorder / VHS combo:  http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B01519QKRQ/

Using the PC software and DVD burner on the PC:  http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B006GOFW3E/

PC software & converter device:  http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00ND0E7BW/

I haven't personally used any of them, but I could imagine the DVD recorder/VHS combo would be the best quality, and probably the easiest for your parents.  However, you'll looking at probably at least $200.  I'm sure others can add more knowledge and person experiences.  Good luck!!

#4 Jen08  OFFLINE  

Jen08

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 9:00 am

Thanks you guys. I like the one from Best Buy posted, but I also like the one on amazon that's listed as well.  I just hate the $219 price. LOL!  Either way, it would be a great investment, in my opinion.  I'll probably end up going to best buy and talking to someone there about it since I do like that one @ best buy.  Maybe they would have something like the one from amazon there that I might get.

#5 LainieB  OFFLINE  

LainieB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 9:49 am

I've had 4 vcr/dvd recorder combos. The expensive toshiba brand only lasted a few months; the company replaced it for free and the new one lasted only 2 months. I've had two cheap ($100) off brand ones from Walmart and both worked great and lasted a couple years with frequent use.

#6 bpr  OFFLINE  

bpr

To the Batmobile...for savings

• 1,948 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 10:17 am

I have the VHStoDVD software/hardware in the third link above. Works as described and is easy to use. Just hook you VCR to the device then to the PC and record. Wait for BF though, you can definitely get it much cheaper. I believe I got mine for $28 on BF in 2011. Quality will be the same, you will not get an improvement in your picture; just puts it into a different format.

~Don't get cancelled!
~Quickly Robin!! To the Batmobile... for savings! :usaribbon:usflag:

'It's not a lie, if you believe it':tongue1:

#7 rockpzazz  OFFLINE  

rockpzazz

Master Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 10:19 am

My current DVD recorder has lasted a few years but the VHS deck is starting to mess up.  Luckily I got most of what I wanted off the tapes.  The ones I've had previously lasted 3 years or more and only had a problem with one tape not converting (on rare occasions the recorder thinks you are dubbing a copywritten movie so it won't allow you to convert it, but it only happened once).  It's a pretty simple task to do though, as I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it for me (photo shops around here charge an arm and a leg for something I can do myself). Just make sure that once a DVD is full to finalize the disc so it can be shown on any DVD player.

I haven't tried the computer options, but a couple people I know have and they say they work well.  I don't have any 8MM movies, but this could be a better option for those if you know how to do it.

I'm just a dude trying to find a good deal.

MIZ! ZOU!

Kansas City Royals fan since birth.  Even the bad years!

#8 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,485 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 10:53 am

ya my VHS deck part of my combo recorder doesnt work, i just hooked a VCR up to it using the cables and use it to play the tapes this way I can Fast Forward any parts that might be blank spots or something I dont want.

I have thought about buying the software and doing it that way, but hardly any of them have great reviews for them

will stick with doing it with the machines

#9 racerfan  OFFLINE  

racerfan

• 3,968 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 12:40 pm

I just ordered this one

https://www.hsn.com/...ith-dvd/7861470

I have until end of January to try it out and see if it is easy to use.  They claim it only takes 1 finger to transfer (or dubbing) as the call it

Edited by racerfan, Oct 29, 2015 - 12:41 pm.

#10 racerfan  OFFLINE  

racerfan

• 3,968 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 12:44 pm

You have a couple options.

As mentioned

The DVD Recorder / VHS combo:  http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B01519QKRQ/

Using the PC software and DVD burner on the PC:  http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B006GOFW3E/

PC software & converter device:  http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00ND0E7BW/

I haven't personally used any of them, but I could imagine the DVD recorder/VHS combo would be the best quality, and probably the easiest for your parents.  However, you'll looking at probably at least $200.  I'm sure others can add more knowledge and person experiences.  Good luck!!

I have the PC software and DVD burner on the PC but it never worked correctly.  Will try the one I ordered last night (see below) and if it is too difficult will return it.

#11 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,485 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 1:23 pm

I just ordered this one

I have until end of January to try it out and see if it is easy to use.  They claim it only takes 1 finger to transfer (or dubbing) as the call it

buy the warranty, i do with all my electronics from HSN, you have 2 years if it stops working then they will refund you the purchase price. they say they will fix it or maybe replace but my experience is they always send you the money

Edit: also you will see it says it comes with the HDMI cable and it says it has an HDMI output but if you look at the pics there is no HDMI output.

if there isn't one then you will need the component cables to have sound on your TV with it.

Edited by riven3d, Oct 29, 2015 - 1:26 pm.

#12 Jen08  OFFLINE  

Jen08

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 5:55 pm

I just ordered this one

Will this one work for a camera that has 8mm videos and/or the mini cassette tapes? I still have the cameras that plays these tapes so I would like to be able to hook that camera up to this machine and record them onto DVDs.

#13 Jen08  OFFLINE  

Jen08

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted Oct 29, 2015 - 6:03 pm

http://www.walmart.c...dingMethod=p13n

I found this one on Walmart website. What do yall think? I'm just lost with since I'm not a very tech savvy person when it comes to this stuff. Lol

Edited by Jen08, Oct 29, 2015 - 6:05 pm.

#14 rockpzazz  OFFLINE  

rockpzazz

Master Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 30, 2015 - 11:40 am

That looks just like mine, but mine is a Magnavox. That should do the trick.

I'm just a dude trying to find a good deal.

MIZ! ZOU!

Kansas City Royals fan since birth.  Even the bad years!

#15 racerfan  OFFLINE  

racerfan

• 3,968 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 31, 2015 - 3:38 pm

Will this one work for a camera that has 8mm videos and/or the mini cassette tapes? I still have the cameras that plays these tapes so I would like to be able to hook that camera up to this machine and record them onto DVDs.

Yes it has in front where you can connect cameras with their wires  Another reason I liked it.

#16 peppysfireball  OFFLINE  

peppysfireball

• 2,094 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Nov 2, 2015 - 8:27 am

I have a panasonic vcr dvd recorder. The magnavox is a very poor model and doens't last long. My son has a Toshiba. Keep in mind you can only do home movies. ypou can't record your old disney tapes or such as the unit has a copyright block on it. I also had a Grabber cable and tried it but it is very bad quality and I only used it once. I now take my camcorder and hook it to my tv and put my home movies on vcr tape and then I burn the vcr tape to the dvd when it's full. Ive been doing it 15 years that way. i have over 50 dvds of my kids on dvd. The panasoic I have I got half price on amazon as an open box item. Itwas a 200 unit for 100

#17 bribri25  OFFLINE  

bribri25

• 1,742 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Nov 10, 2015 - 8:29 pm

Ok, so I am not even sure if a Converter is what I'm looking for, but I am looking to buy something that will allow you to put all your videos from a VHS to a DVD.  I have heard that they sell something that allows you to do this, but I really don't know what I'm looking for.  I've called Walmart and Walgreens b/c I know they offer this service, but its super expensive.  I would love to get this and give to my parents since they have so many family videos on VHS and would like to convert them.  I also have a lot of family video on those small tapes.  I think their 8mm ones, but not 100% on if that's right and would like to convert them to a dvd as well. I'm thinking Best Busy would be the best place and I know my parents would love to have this, but I have no clue what its call.  Any help or suggestions?

Staples BF ad:   http://blackfriday.g...tureDevice.html

$49.99; Looks like this product.

#18 bribri25  OFFLINE  

bribri25

• 1,742 Posts
  • Member since 2009

Posted Nov 11, 2015 - 4:44 am

Ok, so I am not even sure if a Converter is what I'm looking for, but I am looking to buy something that will allow you to put all your videos from a VHS to a DVD. I have heard that they sell something that allows you to do this, but I really don't know what I'm looking for. I've called Walmart and Walgreens b/c I know they offer this service, but its super expensive. I would love to get this and give to my parents since they have so many family videos on VHS and would like to convert them. I also have a lot of family video on those small tapes. I think their 8mm ones, but not 100% on if that's right and would like to convert them to a dvd as well. I'm thinking Best Busy would be the best place and I know my parents would love to have this, but I have no clue what its call. Any help or suggestions?

And there's an off-brand VHS / DVD Recorder in the Shopko BF ad 147.99; might get the job done. Not sure if you have one of those, or if online would be an option, or if you're even still looking. Lol.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users