Headphones

danielle77

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that Beats last a long time but lack in sound quality unless all you're into is music with heavy bass. However, I have no personal experience with them, as I prefer "in the ear" style. Teens seem to love Beats, though, so yeah, Illinoismom is right - watch the office supply store ads, of all things, for great deals on them.

I have a few brands I use, I think you need to figure out which type, in ear, on ear or over ear. After that decide on what price point you want to be in. You're going to get people who will swear by some name brands and others that will tell you they are junk and that goes from the lower end to the expensive stuff. Beats are decent on build quality but tend to be better for music with heavy bass. Bose all I can say is if you like how they sound go for it I have a pair of their over ear noise cancelling and I love them for plane rides but I don't expect studio quality sound out of them if you can get a great deal go for it, one thing I can say I love about Bose is their trade in policy for headphones. I traded in my first gen noise cancelling for one of their newer models and only paid $100 and at that point I had the old ones for in excess of 7 years and they needed new foam on the ear pieces which is why I had called them to begin with. I REALLY like Bang & Olufsen but they tend to get very expensive and I'm not sure I've seen sales on them. Personally I think sound is a very personal thing and what may sound great to me may sound like cats screeching and kids banging on garbage cans to another and vice versa. Pick your price range, look at what fit's that range and take a look at whats in that range for reviews and then look for those on sale. Most younger people I know like beats as much of the music now tends to fit into that heavy bass range.

Sorry for the long winded post :)

• Like 2

I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50S/LE and I love them with all of my heart. They look as good as they sound. The regular ATH-M50S is the same thing only not a limited edition, and they are different colors. I also have the M50x and they are just ok. They don't sound as rich as the M50s, but I am certainly not an audiophile. You have to get used to having something so big on your head if you haven't worn over-ear headphones. I thought they were huge and too hot at first, but now I can sleep with them on. I think a proper stand is necessary too, just so the cord doesn't tangle and the ears are not mushed together.  I don't have much experience with in-ear headphones. I bought a pair of Shure SE110 probably close to 10 years ago and haven't felt the need to buy anything else. I would advise you to buy something that has interchangeable ear tip things (whatever they are called) if you go that route, because you can't get a good sound without a good fit. And they get gross over time. 

I agree about the Beats. I bought a pair for my daughter last year with the Radio Shack deal. Thank God I didn't pay full price. I think I still overpaid for them even after rebate. They are built like a tank but sound awful! WAY too much bass and everything sounds muddy. I made the mistake of letting my daughter compare the M50s to her Beats and she tried to trade with me. HA! Never!