Christmas Crafts

hillbillyswife

One of my favorite crafts to make are Christmas ornaments (I usually try to place the date they were made on them).We don't make ornaments as often now, but we still place the older handmade ones on our tree every year. I love it when my kids reminisce about making them.  :holiday07   ^_^

• Like 1

It's a little time consuming, but when my boys were young I traced their hands on green construction paper. I would cut several of them out and then arrange them, fingers down, into a Christmas tree shape. We'd cut out a yellow star and put on top and then decorate it with glitter glue.

I did the sequined stocking kits for each of my children when they were born. I have done stuffed Christmas trees, tree skirts, and of course ornament kits with the kids... I need to get back into the crafting mode - really enjoyed it! :)

Aww. I love those felt/sequin kits. My grandmother made each of her grandchildren one of those stockings when we were born, made each family an advent calendar and the girls (myself included) were lucky enough to get tree skirts. My mom had to retire my stocking after 40 years because we were afraid the felt would tear it is so worn thin in places on the back. Now it holds a place of honor in my treasure box.

As far as being crafty, Last year I made "consumable crafts" for friends and co-workers.......peppermint scented body scrub and peppermint soap in the shape of snowflakes.

• Like 1

I guess the question is...what kinds of craft(s) are you looking to do?  Something for you?  Something the kids can do?  Something you can give as a gift?  Something cheap because you want to make a lot of them or something a little more costly, because you are only making 1 or 2?   Something you can make quickly - in 2 hours or less?  Or something that will require more time to finish?  What type of craft are you interested in?

• Like 1

I probably should stay out of this thread because I'm a hard core crafter. But anyway, some of the best holiday crafts I've done are...

1: clay "cookie" ornaments. My mother bought the kind of clay you bake, and used a rolling pin to roll it out, & we used cookie cutters to cut them out. After they baked I was aloud to paint them with acrylic paint, then my mom wrote my name and the year on the back, and my dad coated them a some kinda sealer. In almost 20 years, and 7 moves only one broke. And that was because my cousin didn't wrap it when it went back in the ornament box.

2: ribbon "paper" chains. I really wanted to make a paper chain to go on our tree, my mom dreaded the idea. (it wouldn't go with the rest of the decorations.) So she bought ribbons that matched our decorations and some fabric glue, and we made a paper chain with ribbons instead of paper. It lasted about five years, it would have lasted a lot longer it we'd have put in a few stitchs (with tread) in each chain seam to help hold it.

3: foam snowmen. You need foam balls from the craft store in three or four sizes depending on if you want them all the same height or not, you also need the round\circle shaped pieces that are a bit bigger than the largest ball size (for base), as well as some skewers, a hot glue gun (with glue), buttons, googly eyes (or you could just use buttons for eyes), orange acrylic paint (optional, if you really want a carrot nose), and doll sized hat(s) (again optional), felt sheets (the sticky ones are nicer to use), and brown or black pipe cleaners.

Use skewers to hold the foam balls together, add a small amount of hot glue between the balls by the skewer. If you are not using doll hats make sure not to poke skewer through the top of the head. Used a skewer the hold the largest ball to the base, add hot glue between base and largest ball. Cut felt to size of base, glue felt to base (or if you have the sticky kind just unpeel cover and stick), this protects your shelf or furniture from the skewers. If using "carrot nose(s)" cut skewer one inch from point, paint the skewer points with orange paint. Glue on eyes, and buttons. Place nose then pull out and add a drop of hot glue to the end and replace. Shape pipe cleaners into desired shape for arms, place arms then add glue and replace. If you wish you could glue on a mouth, I found that I preferred drawing the mouth on with a sharpie. You could also make one of each family member and write their name on the side of the base, or write the name of who made them and the year. I no longer have the ones I made, they were given to a friend when she moved, she still has them and it's been almost 15 years since I made them.

4: snitches! I didn't do these but my friend did and they turned out wonderful, I have a couple that she made me, and they are on my list of things to make. You need small foam balls, short white feathers, gold spray paint, and eye hooks. Screw eye hooks into the foam balls (my friend added a drop of glue onto them when she screwed them in to make sure they lasted), let the glue dry. Spray paint the balls gold. After it's all dry insert one feather on either side of the ball for wings. She only make them this year, so I don't know how well they'll hold up.

5: pipe cleaner candy cane ornaments. You'll need red and white pipe cleaners, green felt, small red pom poms or red round beads, ribbon, and glue. Twist red and white pipe cleaners together and shape to form candy canes, you may have to cut your pipe cleaners depending on their size. Cut felt into holly leaves. Glue two candy canes into an x shape. Glue two leaves to center of candy canes, and glue pom poms or beads in the place where the leaves meet. After it drys glue a length of ribbon to the back for hanging. If not using hot glue its a great quick project to do with younger kids since other than cutting they can do a lot of it themselves. Depending on what glue you use and how careful you are with packing away your ornaments makes a big difference on how well they hold up.

And I'll stop now before I start overloading this thread.

• Like 2

When my boys were younger, we took made snowmen ornaments using their hands and glass ball ornaments. I painted their hands white, and then had them carefully place their palms on the bottom of each ornament, and then the fingers on the sides. You paints the "fingers" to look like snowmen. They ended up super cute. And we gave them out as gifts to family.

Here is a picture I found of ones that are similar to the ones we made:

http://nightowlcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/handprint-snowman-ornament.jpg

• Like 3