Requesting Keurig Opinions

giz

Thinking of getting some Keurig brewers for family members this year. Possibly the K10 mini.

If you have one, do you like it? Should I think about the ones of the larger 2.0 models instead? Have you used the My K Cup accessory?

Can get mini at Kohl's for $46 each after 30% coupon and Kohl's Cash.

Thanks in advance for opinions.

We have had a Keurig for some time. We have been thinking about getting one of the 2.0 ones but haven't done so yet. As for the Mini we borrowed one while ours was packed away for the move and it worked but was kind of a pain to have to put water in it each time you used it. We like ours and use it a lot. We have a K Cup but my wife prefers the multitude of coffees out there so it doesn't get much use.

• Like 1

Fyi...I spoke with Keurig yesterday and the cs rep said they released a my K Cup for 2.0 two weeks ago. $14.99. ;-)

http://www.keurig.com/Accessories/Keurig%C2%AE-2-0-My-K-Cup%C2%AE-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/p/5000058053

Thanks so much, I have a reusable pod...but for the k cups...they will have to be the actual KEURIG brand is what I meant...unless you go online and find one of the hacks.

• Like 1

DH has the mini and loves it. Uses both k cups and reusable refill cups. He does't mind filling each time. Parents have one with a  reservoir and love it too. I was looking at a newer model but it would not take the refillable cups.  

I have a K10 mini I love it! got it 2 years in a BF sale. I personally prefer only adding the water I need. I don't have the my k-cup, I have a knock off call java jig by Melitta, it uses small coffee filters (fyi paper towels work too in a crunch). the My K-Cup uses a wire mesh, which my dad destorys those, so thats why we use the java jig, with the filters.

I had a Keurig and did not like it.  I like hot, strong coffee- it seemed like the keurig couldn't do it.  I prefer a simple coffee pot and then an electric tea pot for water (hot chocolate, teas etc.).  I only drink coffee in the morning, so I would not be wanting a cup after lunch or other times of day that would possibly make the Keurig more convenient.

We had one of the older models (actually still have it collecting dust on the pantry shelf) and it would always get clogged up from the hardish water we have. Eventually stopped working altogether. We would only use it about once every two weeks and just don't think that was often enough to make it last. Maybe the mini would be a good idea for us??

We have an older model that needs replacing soon.  Only my DH uses it for a single cup daily and sometimes I will brew some Hot Chocolate.  It works great and no problem with pouring water in for each cup.  We have used the Kcups and the my Kcup and each works well.  I think they would be great gifts.

I have the Mini and love it! Use it mainly for hot cocoa and occasionally coffee but only when my dad visits. I don't mind at all having to fill with water every time. Countertop space is at a premium in my house and the mini uses only a small amount. I have the My Kcup accessory but have never used it so can't speak to that. And of course all the color choices for the mini is a fun thing.

@bribri25-

We use bottled water because our water is hard. No problems ever. Also you have to 'descale' it every six months.

Back on topic, we currently have a Keurig Platinum K75 and love it. We use Kcups and our own ground coffee using one of the fill your own pods. We've use it daily for the last three years and have never had an issue. I recently scored a deal on the new K550 2.0 for $95. Started my Black Friday shopping early, lol. Can't wait to use it.

@bribri25-

We use bottled water because our water is hard. No problems ever. Also you have to 'descale' it every six months.

Thanks. Yeah, we ended up having to descale it every other time we used it. Then we didn't use it at all for about a month, and it won't even get water to the brewer now. I still may be leaning toward the mini.

Thinking of getting some Keurig brewers for family members this year. Possibly the K10 mini.

If you have one, do you like it? Should I think about the ones of the larger 2.0 models instead? Have you used the My K Cup accessory?

Can get mini at Kohl's for $46 each after 30% coupon and Kohl's Cash.

Thanks in advance for opinions.

I would not get a k-cup  brewer for anyone who has not expressly shared a desire to own one.  k-cups are expensive, refillables are inconvenient, the smaller brewers are not especially convenient to use, and a lot of people think they are an environmental problem.  In other words, there are a lot of reasons for a recipient not to like your gift.

I own three.  It took me a long time to get my first one (see above).  I like them a lot.  I would try to avoid the 2.0 models just because of the 'copy protection' on the device.  You can defeat this, but don't expect a giftee to do that.  I did try the refillable cups.  Gave them to my sister last night.  She is willing to do that.  I am not.  

I did a lot of research and math and jumped on a good deal at staples back in 2014.  All three of mine are the OfficePro model.  I selected this model because most pro reviews claimed the commercial quality pump would last a lot longer than the pump in the home brewers.  So far, so good.  I also think the reservoir makes the OfficePro much more convenient to use.  I bought all three at Staples at times when stackable promotions reduced the cost below $40.  For instance (my first)...

In April of 2014, Staples offered the 145 for $92.99.  There was a $25 gift card via easy rebate and a 25% off office supplies coupon and a 25% back in rewards.  I used Shop Discover gift cards to pay for the brewer.  $92.99 x .75 = $69.74.  The 25% in rewards was calculated on this 'final sale' price, so I got $17.44 back.  I used two Shop Discover gift cards as part of my payment.  These cost $20 for a $25 gift card, so $10 off.  $69.74 - $17.44 - $10 - $25 = $17.30.

Obviously, not helpful for you except that you should pay attention to sale prices, coupons, and rebates at Staples.  Note that Easy Rebates do not require a UPC, so box looks good for gifting.  There is a long time until Christmas and last year Staples had the OfficePro for $108.07 on BF.  They had $15 off $100 and a 25% off breakroom stackable coupons.  There was a $20 gift card after easy rebate, so $50ish net.

Of course, the cost of the k-cups can quickly gobble up any savings on the brewer.  k-cups can cost more than $1 per cup.  While this is inexpensive compared to Starbucks or even Dunkin Donuts, you can brew very good coffee for ~$0.30/cup in a conventional brewer.

Because you are looking at these as gifts, you should not assume the recipient will be interested in bulk purchasing via Amazon or ebay.  I have found Staples once again to be the most reasonable place to purchase 18-48 count boxes of my favorite cups.  They allow coupons and discounts on the k-cups (kohls no longer allows this) and you can use those shop discover gift cards for an additional 20% discount.  I like Caribou blend.  This morning, 18 cups is $8.99 on Staples.com and in store.  That's $0.50/cup -- almost twice as much as Dunkin Donuts from a Mr. Coffee.  That is about the best you can do without jumping through hoops.

If you know someone who covets a single serve coffee brewer, make sure the brewer is easy to use and durable.  Be aware that some people (http://www.killthekcup.org) think the k-cup is destroying the planet.  Don't expect your gift recipient to jump through hoops to save on coffee (refillables and discounts).  Do not expect someone who goes to a high end coffee shop to find the k-cup experience to be just as good.

Otherwise, sure these make great gifts.

I have a B60 that I absolutely adore; got it from Sam's with several bonus items including a my K cup...I've never had a need to use that. I regularly descale with vinegar (twice per year) and it's still running like it did when I brought it in 2012.

I am also lucky in the sense that a local water company sells loose k-cups at the cost of 24 for $15. Money well spent bc you can choose from all the options; coffee, tea, brew over ice, various ciders, hot chocolate, etc.

Edited by tyreejames

I have a problem with them because you can nver really clean them even if you follow the instructions. there are plenty of videos on the web that show you the problem with these brewers. I wonder how many people have gotten sick from these machines and never knew it.

I have a problem with them because you can nver really clean them even if you follow the instructions. there are plenty of videos on the web that show you the problem with these brewers. I wonder how many people have gotten sick from these machines and never knew it.

I'm not sure this is a big problem if you care for your brewer properly.  I would recommend only putting clean water in using a clean container, removing the used k-cup immediately after brewing, and keeping covers in place at all times.  It's a good idea to descale/clean with vinegar regularly.

from http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/keurig.asp

"Germs are present in every corner of our lives," says Donna Duberg, M.A., M.S., an assistant professor of clinical laboratory science at Saint Louis University. "Are there germs in our coffee makers? Yes. Will they make us sick? Maybe, if there are enough of them, and especially if we don't clean our pots often enough." 

It's not just the coffee pots that accumulate these germs, either. "Bacteria forms a slick biofilm when grown in moist, dark places, and so do molds," says Duberg, pointing to the coffee maker's water reservoir and piping system as ideal areas for accumulation. "If there is obvious slimy stuff in the coffee maker ... this is a good sign there is something growing." 

"Coffee mugs are usually [the] worst," adds microbiologist Dr. Charles Gerba. "In our studies, half had fecal bacteria in them. People probably contaminate them when they wipe them out with sponges or cleaning cloths."

from http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/home/natural-disinfectant

Vinegar
Pros: The vinegar you buy in stores, whether apple cider, balsamic, white, or another kind, contains 5 percent acetic acid, which does have antimicrobial properties. Various studies have found that vinegar, usually in combination with table salt or hydrogen peroxide, can inhibit the growth of some strains of E. coli. It's also an effective mold killer. Its production doesn't take such a toll on the environment, and while it can be pungent, a whiff of vinegar cleaning mix won't sear your airways.

Cons: So does vinegar kill germs? The exact science is a little murky. When it comes to food safety, vinegar hasn't been as thoroughly tested as chlorine bleach. Studies that find it kills germs are generally vague in terms of how much of the germs are killed and how much are left behind. While we often recommend it for general cleaning, it would be great to have more specifics on its germ-killing capabilities, especially for people who have someone with a compromised immune system in their home, or some other reason to be extra concerned about germs. Also, some people do have a problem with the smell (though it's odorless once it dries).

Although Vinegar works well on most products, including wallpaper of all things, it's what the average user cannot see inside the unit that is disturbing. All coffee makers should be periodcally thrown out but since the Keurigs are so pricey, people will not want to throw them out then they should, given the "it still works" mantra. The average user will not take the unit apart for fear of voiding the warranty. The residuals left behind will never completely come out anyway.

I never trust sites like Snopes. They are politically motivated/skewed.

While i would never buy one as i think they are nt practical, i do have one. DH won it last year, Nt sure what model but its big and has a water thing on the side of it,Can make 3 6 or 9oz cups, single brewers with a family of 4 is nonsense, takes to long to fill and heat water, would rather use microwave, k-cups are pricey and the coffee is to strong for me. I do have a insert i use to use regular coffee grounds,by the time i fill it with water, put the grounds in, wait for it to heat brew clean and repeat, i could of been at starbucks and back.lol Really just depends on your level of patience i suppose :)

While i would never buy one as i think they are nt practical, i do have one. DH won it last year, Nt sure what model but its big and has a water thing on the side of it,Can make 3 6 or 9oz cups, single brewers with a family of 4 is nonsense, takes to long to fill and heat water, would rather use microwave, k-cups are pricey and the coffee is to strong for me. I do have a insert i use to use regular coffee grounds,by the time i fill it with water, put the grounds in, wait for it to heat brew clean and repeat, i could of been at starbucks and back.lol Really just depends on your level of patience i suppose :)

You can't say in one sentence that the K Cups are expensive and then in another that you could have been to Starbucks and back in another.   :sidesplit

Just purchased the mini 1.0 for our daughter as she's only drinking a single cup in the mornings and expressly asked for it vs her 10-cup regular pot.  Got a good deal from the last Kohl's sale that brought it down to $55. with discount plus Bucks.

We have a Platinum at home for hubby and me (less for me as I'm the occasional user) and it's just fine.  We do descale and use bottled water because our own is so awful.

I use the 20% coupons at BBBeyond or purchase from BJs or Amazon to get the best deal on k-cups.

• Like 1