Black Friday Traditions

danielle77

We had a tradition of shopping until around 11 am then eating at golden corral to regroup then finish shopping, but that was before the time change....now we eat at my mother-in-laws and head to walmart.  Usually finishing shopping by midnight. Going home sleep and get breakfast before we return to finish our shopping.

• Like 2

We used to have traditions where the women in the family along with some friends would meet up around 3 in the morning, get coffee and then go stand in line for the 1st store and then just shop & shop. Used to have a lot of laughs and good times.

For the past few years it has been DH, one of his cousins and my self. We head out about 9 pm and usually finish up between midnight and 2 am. This year we may be out shopping longer as we are so far behind on our shopping.

• Like 2

I try to stick to the same tradition, even with the stores having different opening times. I leave my house around 5:30AM on Friday, grab some Mickey D's breakfast, head to Starbucks for my PSL, and then off to the stores I go!  This is also the one time of the year that I will wear a fanny pack, lol.  My brother and his wife bedazzled mine so it stands out a bit. It keeps me organized though!

• Like 2

Well, before Black Friday became Black Thursday we always went out for breakfast after our shopping excursion was over.  My husband was always game for shopping because it was the one time I would not complain about him eating a plate full of bacon and sausage.

Now it's more of a stalk amazon kind of tradition.  It lacks a little something.

• Like 3

Its changed now that Black Friday is Brown Thursday (or whatever they are calling it).

Before we would have dinner on T'giving, pour through the ads and finalize our plans (my mom and I that is). Then we would talk a million more times on the phone before we went to bed to be sure our alarms were set and we had our plans down.

We would get up at 2am and I'd pick her up blasting Christmas music and we would go to Walmart for their 5am opening. We would stand outside if it wasn't horrible cold or she would wait in the car and we would keep taking turns standing if it was, especially if we were outside of Target since the lines were always so long). Then we would head to all the places we wanted to go and head home. After dh and I would go back out and shop some more.

Now we eat quickly and run to Walmart. Then hit the other stores we wanna go to.

• Like 2

My family eats Thanksgiving lunch at noon sharp.  So we have plenty of time to get the kitchen back in order and to have a nap.  My mom and I peruse the ads one more time, do some online shopping if needed and available already, then about 4 to 4:30 pm  we will head to Walmart, gather up the stuff we need/want because the pallets are already being ripped apart.  Then it's just a matter of standing in a checkout line waiting for the signal from management to turn on the registers.  We haven't needed any of the big tickets items in several years so we haven't had to deal with those lines at all.  

BF is always my grown daughter and me. Our tradition has become to hit the stores when they open. Then Starbucks at 3am for a caffeine boost and Krispy Kremes at 6:30 am for a sugar boost.....We have been all night and all day Friday shoppers for years-even before the early openings began. It is def girls day out.

• Like 1

Our has changed in recent years. It use to be that we left around 4am, shop then eat breakfast around 6am, shop, shop some more, shop way more then come home late in the afternoon.

Now its go to walmart on Thanksgiving (which angers me, but I go so....), come home and sleep til 2am, get up and head to a mall that's atleast an hour away to hit Target and all the other stores.  Eat "lunch" around 6am bc the Chick Fil A in this particular mall doesn't serve biscuits, then shop more, eat "real" lunch around noon and head home.  By then we've gotten quite a bit of stuff.  In past years, I normally come home and head back to WM just to see if anything is left. I've actually scored some BF deals  that were on thanksgiving but never sold out. 

The next day we head out to get our Christmas Tree and decorate!!

The BEST new tradition that we've done is when I go to WM on Thanksgiving, I pick up a Christmas DVD that's on sale and we watch it that night before I head off to be to get 2 hours of sleep. 

My mom & I are in the limited bunch of people who still leave the house early Friday morning to shop. I hit up all of the Thanksgiving online sales now for the big ticket items we want, take a nap, & then head into a neighboring town early Friday. By that time, most of the stores are cleaning up after the big rush & we still score a ton of deals thanks to those who stash or change their minds. We always eat lunch at our favorite restaurant in that town & head home to hide the goods.

Our traditions went out the window with the new start times too.

Once upon a time, we headed out around 2 - 4 AM (depending on what, where and when). Shopped, dropped items, shopped the later openings, had breakfast somewhere in that time frame. Came home had leftovers and then a huge wrapping party. We always try to do most of the shopping in groups because stores here can be spread out almost 30 minutes or more. (Rural America is great any other time, but on BF it is a pain.)

However, with the new start times, it just isn't the same. We're coming home when we would have been starting out and I just can't get into it like years past.

My mom and I have gone every year together and occasionally have a few tagalongs.  (sometimes my grandma, sometimes my kiddos now that they are getting older).  We hit up the main stores on our list then stop at Chick Fil A for a quick breakfast and maybe home to unload before going back out! 

With the new start times our traditions have changed a little.  My family looks over the ads after finishing up Thanksgiving dinner.  Then my husband and I  rush off to Walmart and any other stores on our list.  Once we are done we go home and sleep.  The next day we go back to Walmart to see what is left.  Then I head over to my mom's to make Almond Roca for Christmas.

Our traditions are not black friday traditions... unless you count my mom calling me to see if I can "just pick up this or that doorbuster" . you know the ones that people have been in line for DAYS waiting for. When I tell her she is out of her mind and she gets all bent out of shape over it, cussing out the stores and me for not having it.THAT seem to be pretty traditional! Other than that, it is usually out thanksgiving shopping that is the most "traditional" Wed. night mom stays up and drinks.  i go to bed at 9 or 10, i wake mom up at 3 or 4 (we have meijers to get to) she complains the entire time that she didn't get enough sleep, and that we have plenty of time. We hit the road and she sees all the traffic and turns into a complete crazy woman who has to pass ever freaking car on the road "incase they are going to 'our store' and might be after our item"  we get in line for items,and hang out with the same people in line year after year!  When starbucks opens my hubby brings us coffee eventually we check out, hit up walgreens, dollar general and out to breakfast and then home. She isn't ALL bad, its kind of comical.