Dell Home Black Friday Ad Posted

Brad

I like the micro if my desktop pitches before Black Friday I would consider it (Eventually its going to just a matter of when). I even considered buying it and storing it till the desktop does pitch at that price. I have never owned a micro is there much difference between it and a classic desktop?

Edited by Tigger97498

I like the micro if my desktop pitches before Black Friday I would consider it (Eventually its going to just a matter of when). I even considered buying it and storing it till the desktop does pitch at that price. I have never owned a micro is there much difference between it and a classic desktop?

The micro is a very low end computer (slow).  It would work the same way as a desktop, but would run slowly, but work fine for surfing the web and using email.  There is little ability to upgrade, for example, you could get a larger harddrive and (possibly) install it, but you would need to reload the whole thing from scratch.  Memory is probably maxed out already.  A DVD or CD drive may or may not come with the micro (usually not) and you would need to hook up an external drive.  Available USB ports are minimal.  

Positives include the size (obviously smaller).  Typically, they have few (or no) fans, so they are potentially quieter.  

Would these laptops be good for gaming? 

You may not like my answer but the only laptop that's really any good for gaming is the Alienware 15 on sale for $1199.99. I say this because while most of the laptops have semi-decent CPUs they don't have any sort of dedicated Nvidia/AMD GPU in them. Oh and for the ones that do they really aren't that great. That Alienware though features about as good of a CPU as you can get on a laptop as well a good mobile Nvidia GPU. It also has a nice 1080p HD display and 8GB of RAM (Although I wish it were 16GB) which should suffice for any game you'd play.

Basically, when looking at laptops if it doesn't say it comes with an Nvidia/AMD GPU then it definitely won't play most games. Although, even if it does come with a dedicated GPU it may still not play most games. All I can say is that with Nvidia you want to be on the lookout for GPUs like the 970M like that Alienware has.