Black Friday and the Psychological Factor

nhughes

When push comes to sholve, is it really worth getting angry over missing a deal or someone rudely interupting your shopping trip? Those long lines can be stressful enough.

So, what are some ways you deal with rude people on Black Friday? I'll be honest. I just ignore them and just keep doin on what I'm doin'. :lmao:

I really try to ignore them but I will admit I have a lot of times just called them out on it. I have also been known to get rude back. Usually they then back off or even at times apologize. I really just try to remember that people are stressed and Black Friday may be their only chance to get stuff for their kids, grandkids, etc. But you can only take so much.
  • Like 1

I honestly haven't run into too many rudies. On the occasion that I do, I just smile, laugh, joke and continue to be as happy as I can be just to make them feel like crap! My family has a different opinion though. They say people are generally kind to me because of "that crazed look in your eye"  you know the one... the "She has been off medication for a week and you might not want to get too close, so just humor her and maybe she won't go bat $h!t crazy today"  I'm really fine with either. 

• Like 3

I've very rarely had issues with rude people.  For the most part I have fun with the people around me on bf.  I think it's worse since they moved their hours up to Thursday though. Maybe people are still tired from all the Thanksgiving festivities.  I think just the mass crowd factor makes it less fun.  I honestly find myself bf shopping less and less since it's become more of a black thursday affair. 

• Like 1

It is rare for me to run into a rude shopper on Black Friday. I find that most people who are out, are there because they love the madness. On occasion I'll hear someone complaining about something and I just laugh because really, if they don't like the business of BF, they should have stayed home, so I figure they did it to themselves. 

I don't get a lot of rude people usually, more than rude I think I see a lot of people who are in their own little world and just not fully aware of whats going on. I've had a couple who took it to a new level with rude but they are usually easily dealt with. Only one year do I remember losing my temper at someone at that was after multiple times of asking an older lady nicely to please not run into the back of my leg's/heals with her shopping cart (this was MANY years ago and I was shopping with my grandmother). After the last time I lost my temper, turned around and told her if she hit me one more time I was going to implant the shopping cart in her posterior (not so nicely worded). She decided to get away from me and my grandmother looked at me, I thought I was going to get yelled at but she just started laughing and said I bet she doesn't run into anyone else today.

• Like 4

I have not run into rude people as well.  It is the line jumpers that annoy the heck out of me (especially the ones that pretend they don't realize they are doing it).  Most everyone is out to have a good time and get the deals.  The problems they show on TV are really  far from the norm.

• Like 2

Like a lot of you, I don't usually encounter rudeness on Black Friday. Most of us try to be helpful and polite.  One year my sister and I went to Penney's for a knock off ipod my cousin wanted us to pick up. That is not a store we ever hit on BF, and everyone in there was SO rude!  It just broke my heart. I felt like a little kid whose puppy had been kicked. That was not MY Black Friday. lol

We've never gone back to Penney's on BF again. If the cousins want something from there they can fit it in to their own shopping schedule! :)

I would bet that many rude shoppers are actually those who have joined the fray on Thursday (within the last 3 years) and don't know how to conduct themselves as seasoned BF vets do.

That's my biggest problem with the Thursday evening sales vs. Friday morning. It's a whole different class of people.

• Like 5

I agree with Bopeep. I do the Friday shopping and I personally feel that the Friday shoppers are the old school shoppers like myself and we treat each other differently. There are too many newbies and teenagers out on Thursday that I don't feel give a darn about anyone but themselves.  (not saying everyone, but enough that are rude and inconsiderate)  I'll stick to the happy Friday people, thank you very much.

• Like 2

It takes a little dedication and effort to be there at the crack of dawn on Black Friday..... Or camping out in the wee hours.... But Thursday afternoon/ night sales doesn't....

Talking about rude shoppers though...I really do hate it when retail stores reward rude people.... Some people want something for nothing....

• Like 1

I don't see many rude shoppers at the small town Walmart I use for BF shopping.  One year I did see some sheet sets flying through the air and the cops hustled over to that corner but that's been it for the last 20 years or so I've been BF shopping at Walmart.  The main problem I notice now with the Thursday night sales is the packs of teenagers that come just to hang out and 'show out" and in general be in the way.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely actually see rude shoppers, but a lot of newbies that just don't get it. Especially now that the times are on Thanksgiving night. Last year I saw at least a dozen babies - as in still in the little car seat type babies. That is ridiculous to me.

I have witnessed fights, but I just go about my business and walk away. There are a few stores I avoid or hit later simply because of this. I live near 2 Walmarts and I always go to one and avoid the other because of this reason.

i've only encountered this once in a line, where a few people were moving up the line, while others weren't looking.  on this occasion i simply told them to get back where they were, as I told them, they were trying to move up, others in line started chiming in too.  this was enough to put them in their place.

for the most part, rudeness isn't a common practice in lines, and really isn't tolerated

• Like 1

I to haven't really seen anyone being rude.  For the most part everyone is nice and will apologize if something as simple as their purse hitting me when they walk by.  Lord knows I've done that many times and have had my fair share of apologizing. I've never had anyone actually get upset with me about it either.  Its ridiculous, to me, to get upset and "showing out" on BF.  As a BF shopper you should know WAAAYYY ahead of time that theres a chance you might not get your door buster.  Its a chance you take when you agree to shop on such a busy day. 

I to haven't really seen anyone being rude.  For the most part everyone is nice and will apologize if something as simple as their purse hitting me when they walk by.  Lord knows I've done that many times and have had my fair share of apologizing. I've never had anyone actually get upset with me about it either.  Its ridiculous, to me, to get upset and "showing out" on BF.  As a BF shopper you should know WAAAYYY ahead of time that theres a chance you might not get your door buster.  Its a chance you take when you agree to shop on such a busy day. 

I think the increasing problem in the past few years has been that it's a whole new crowd of shoppers out; people that say "there's no way I'm getting up at 3am to stand in line until the store opens at 4:00" can now say: "go out at 4:00pm and be out of there by 7:00pm? Sign me up!!!". You don't have to be a die hard BF shopper anymore, but just willing to miss family time on Thanksgiving... And they don't realize that you may need to show up early to get what you want, but instead just show up...well, because they aren't sleeping.

• Like 1

I think the increasing problem in the past few years has been that it's a whole new crowd of shoppers out; people that say "there's no way I'm getting up at 3am to stand in line until the store opens at 4:00" can now say: "go out at 4:00pm and be out of there by 7:00pm? Sign me up!!!". You don't have to be a die hard BF shopper anymore, but just willing to miss family time on Thanksgiving... And they don't realize that you may need to show up early to get what you want, but instead just show up...well, because they aren't sleeping.

Great point. Given the difference of hours with Thanksgiving and the morning of Black Friday, there is a different feel to it. Personally, I wish stores would go back to the regular Black Friday morning hours, but this isn't the case for some stores. It's about making more money. My thought is, you can have a nice meal with family on Thanksgiving, socialize, and get a few hours sleep before waking up for shopping.

• Like 1

I stay out of the stores. One time I was at KMart and I asked a clerk where some digital key chains were located. Someone heard me ask and followed us over to the area and grabbed all the ones that were left right as the clerk was showing me. I decided right there and then that I needed to just go home and shop online.