Black Friday: Cash, Credit, Debit, Check?

Peppermint

From 2009 on, i have used ATM/DEBIT cards and cash. Someone had mentioned that you need to call your financial institution and let them know that you will be needing the full limit on that day, so you won't make the fatal error of getting denied after the first purchase. Sometimes runnig purchases as credit also works. I take two cards and inform the bank and bring backup cash as well.

I'm a points churner so I use credit and pay once it posts. We have a set budget and have a Xmas club account so there's never an issue of not knowing what we can afford to spend or over spending.

On Black Friday itself, I will carry some cash for those times that the credit machine goes down and/or I come across things I wasn't necessarily planning on buying.

Edited by tyreejames
  • Like 3

This year I plan on having the biggest budget I've ever had since I started Black Friday shopping in 2006. I plan on using a combination of cash, PayPal credit and credit card. I'll use PayPal credit for online purchases and cash & credit card for store purchases.

I'm a points churner so I use credit and pay once it posts. We have a set budget and have a Xmas club account so there's never an issue of not knowing what we can afford to spend or over spending.

On Black Friday itself, I will carry some cash for those times that the credit machine goes down and/or I come across things I wasn't necessarily planning on buying.

This is the best answer.  Lots of promotional cards will provide points/cash back for purchases.  After Christmas, lots more will offer free finance transfers.  Use a promo card for your purchases then pay it off immediately or use a transfer to pay the bill for a year.  If you are planning to use cash or debit, then simply put that cash in an interest bearing account until it's time to pay the bill.

For October-December, Discover's 5% promo includes Amazon plus BF retailers like Kohls and Sears.  If you do not have a card, have a friend refer you and both will get $50 cash back.

I prefer to use credit cards and pay them off when the bill shows up (love those point programs), but I have learned to carry a bit of cash just in case the credit machine quits working--that happened to us once while we were at the check-out. Fun times  :cheesy:

• Like 1

Amazon rewards card, I pay it off every 2 weeks when I get paid. I have some cash on hand, just in case. I have been saving reward point points and have almost 200 bucks from paying bills. If it's a really big purchase, I use my husbands discover for free extra year warranty plus cash back. We are debt free and will not pay any interest.

I'm the one who had posted to call credit card companies/banks.

I always use credit cards and have had them blocked a few different times during sales. Use them, get points, pay it off and carry on. I just don't like carrying cash, I figure if I'm going to lose something then at least let's not have it hurt as much. Cash is gone but cards can be cancelled/disputed.

Exception to the rule was the year before Y2K when I took cash JUST IN CASE...but I think everyone had cash on them that year for the same reason.

I agree with tinkrbel. I carry very little cash, because I don't want to lose it. 

I will probably use my credit card, just in case I go over budget a little, but then will pay it off before interest accrues.  I avoid paying interest if at all possible.

All credit cards all the time.  All of my cards earn some kind of points or cash back and I always pay balances in full each month.

Target Red Card for Target (5% off instantly), Amazon card for Amazon, and Chase Freedom or Discover for anything in their 5% categories.  (Discover 5% includes most department stores and clothing stores October through December.)

Edited by mcwalker

I'm going to TRY to stick to cash only this year.  Should be a challenge for me. ;)  I'm scaling back on what I buy though, so that should help.  I usually buy a lot of stuff for DS's dad and their family for my son to send to them, but they never even so much as acknowledge it or thank him for anything.  Guess what?  DONE with that.  That should save about 200 bucks.  lol  I'll purchase more gift cards this year as well.  That also will control spending a bit.

Amazon gift cards from my surveys, discounted gift cards paid for by my Chase card to get points for more Amazon gift cards, and cash. I do 90% of my shopping online, but I only carry one credit card, maybe a gift card, and cash when I go out shopping. I have a zippered inside pocket in my coat so I don't even take my purse. 

• Like 2