Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

how many gb to a movie?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 25, 2015 - 10:49 am

I fear this is a stupid question, and I have been searching for the answer but most of what I find is referencing DVD's and I'm not sure the answer is the same.  I am in the process of ordering all of my grandsons' favorite movies on Amazon Video, so I can download them to their tablets or they can always be on the Fire Stick, and I don't have to keep them on my DVR.  I've ordered them the new Kindle with the Micro SD slot, and I'm trying to determine the size of card I need to buy.  

So, can someone tell me approximately how many gb one 2 hour HD movie uses?  

I was hoping the information would be in the Movie details, but it's not that I can see.

Thank you all!

#2 riven3d  OFFLINE  

riven3d

• 2,485 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 27, 2015 - 11:20 am

it depends on the movie, some movies i have seen are 197mb some are almost 800mb, it is more on how much content the 2 hour movie has in extras more than the run time of the movie. but usually each movie will tell you the size it would be.

#3 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,072 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 28, 2015 - 1:43 pm

Defintely not a stupid question.  But not an easy one to answer either.

And looking at Amazon's Help pages, there appears to be some small print involved as well.

For instance:

- If you're an eligible Prime member, you can download selected Prime movies and TV shows to a compatible device in addition to streaming them instantly.

- Note: Download availability depends on our agreements with content owners. We're constantly working to establish and enhance these agreements so we can offer a download option for as many Prime titles as possible.

- The time period you have to view a downloaded video while your device is offline varies by title.

That said, I would probably buy the largest SD card the device could hold.  I think the market currently has the 32GB cards as the best bang for the buck, but it's not a huge difference and there's value in minimizing the need to swap out memory cards on devices that the kids will be using.  I tried getting it to work on my Android tablet to see how large the files are, but was ultimately unsuccessful.  Amazon apparently doesn't support Android tablets at the moment - just Android phones (unless its one of their Fire tablets of course).

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#4 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• 1,390 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 28, 2015 - 2:22 pm

Thanks y'all!

I finally thought about downloading the movies I've already purchased to my Kindle, and check the storage in settings.

SO, How to Train Your Dragon shows 632.35 MB, but How to Train Your Dragon 2 shows 7.34 GB.  That's a HUGE difference. Run times are within a couple minutes of each other, and both are downloaded in HD.  Any idea why there would be that big a discrepancy?

I figured it out!  I had purchased both in HD, but apparently I had downloaded one of them in SD.  I can't believe what a big difference that makes! I don't think the 4 year old or the 2 year old will care, so i will just be sure to download everything SD so as to get more in.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Edited by Bopeep, Sep 28, 2015 - 3:22 pm.

#5 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• 2,072 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2015 - 4:30 am

Yeah, on such a small screen, SD is probably fine.

Do you know what the resolution is on your Kindle?

I did the same last night to test it myself on my iPhone6.  I downloaded Frozen (with extras) totaling about 2.5 hours of material.

It takes up roughly 1.5GB on the phone.  I don't see the option in the iPhone app to specify SD or HD.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#6 Bopeep  OFFLINE  

Bopeep

• 1,390 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 29, 2015 - 7:40 am

It's the Fire HDX 8.9. The resolution is 2560 x 1600 (339 ppi).  When I go to download, I'm given 3 options: Good (SD), Better, and Best (1080p HD).  It doesn't tell me what "Better" actually is.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users