Gift card category ideas wanted.

shopping4my3son

A couple years ago I put together a calendar full of gift cards for my oldest. He liked it a lot so I'm trying to come up with something similar this year.

I'm looking at getting a plain recipe box with plain dividers. I'd like to label the dividers and place gift cards in between.

I can only come up with Food and Entertainment. Maybe I could divide the food into different categories like delivery or type of food?

Any other ideas?

• Like 2

If he has hobbies you could get Gift Cards for places that sell things for those, like if he is into Hunting or Camping you can do Bass Pro Shops or Dicks or places like that, if into Games you can do Game Stop, into Models or R/C you can do local Hobby Shops. Also you can break up the food ones like you were saying based on the type they are.

• Like 2

Oh, thank you for bringing this up. I loved your idea so much, I had wanted to do that for my son, who just moved to school last month. Thanks for the reminder!

Your recipe box idea is good too. Maybe one for shopping? Like target, books.. Gas? Maybe a grocery category in food ?

Edited by bluebear
  • Like 1

I found some plain wooden boxes on Amazon that look nice. Not to girly or flowery. :D Of course if I EVER had a girl to buy for I'd get the most girly one I could find. lol

I started picking up gift cards already. Last time I did this I waited until December and it was so cold out. Way to much in and out of stores in yucky weather. Plus if I start now it's not a huge hit all at once.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wooden+recipe+box

Edited by shopping4my3son
  • Like 1

If you have a Sam's club membership or know someone who does they usually have good deals on gift cards. Like $50 for $39.95 on a lot of them. We buy them for restaurants we like, picking up one for Buca this weekend $100 for $79.95. $20 instant savings and then we have a coupon on top of it :)

This is an awesome idea!!!  I do have a question since I am drawing a blank  What would you use as dividers.

My Son is in the Navy, and gift cards for a variety of places sounds like a great idea.  I could do places for where he is at school and for some generic places that can be found anywhere

• Like 1

Since my Son is in the Navy, and just bought a car I plan on getting him gift card for oil change, the car wash as above said, gas card, local supermarket, local pizza place  Next time I go visit I have to go see what else is around there,  He only moved up there  on 9/9 and will be there 6-11 months,

This is an awesome idea!!!  I do have a question since I am drawing a blank  What would you use as dividers.

My Son is in the Navy, and gift cards for a variety of places sounds like a great idea.  I could do places for where he is at school and for some generic places that can be found anywhere

I was looking for plain recipe card dividers or maybe getting card stock and cutting my own.

My son bought me a Steam gift card for my birthday so I could buy some 'vintage' Star Wars games, lol. Anyways, back to the topic at hand, you can break entertainment down into smaller categories as listed in other post. Some more categories you could use: movies, games and music. Lots of great ideas posted to chose from. Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

look for places u can get deals or points for the gift cards. I use mypoints alot (online)  and get points that i cash in for gift cards and where i live our Krogers always gives us 2x the points so if i buy a 25 dollar gift card i get 50 points and sometimes they do 4x the points and for every 100 points i get 10 cents off a gallon of gas. It adds up quick when im buying groceries and gift cards then i get gas cheaper and it works out well. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...