The 2015 Black Friday Product Charts (What Did You Think?)

stationchief

It's that time of year again! Time for the... (wait for it)...

2015 GottaDeal.com Black Friday Product Charts!

I'm now making the official call for volunteers for this year's charts. If you'd like to volunteer to help put the charts together this year please send me a PM.

It's pretty simple. As each ad comes in you'll be responsible for logging in to a special website where you'll enter all the items with some detailed information (item's description, price, store, type, resolution, etc) for a particular product. Some are fairly easy, others may require more research and effort. It all depends on how much time you're willing to put in. We have a lil' community of volunteers who all help each other out every year so you won't be alone. Plus I'll be looking into adding a possible incentive for all your help! ;)

These charts have been extremely popular among Black Friday shoppers among this site and all around the country every year, and I expect them to be even more so this year so I'll need lots of help putting them together.

This year's product charts will still be located at blackfridaycharts.com. Last year's charts, for comparison, are currently there until the 2015 ads start coming out when they will be moved to blackfridaycharts.com/previous/2014.

What are these so-called charts, you say? Have a look at a tenth (yes it's been that long!) anniversary message with their past history, how they came to be, all mixed in with a lil' of me: blackfridaycharts.com/MyStory.html

Oh, I almost forgot. Do you like taking quick looks at previous BF items? Then you'll enjoy the ability to select one of the many previous year's charts, going all the way back to the very first Desktop chart from 2005! Having trouble viewing the site on your mobile device? Then go to blackfridaycharts.com from your tablet, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, smartphone, or any portable device for the mobile-friendly version!

Let the Black Friday madness officially begin! :trampolin

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are the 2014 charts hiding somewhere?  The current charts are showing 2015, and the link for the 2014 charts gives me a blank page.  Might be a problem on my end?  

Just checked and they're still there at the link above. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I think the charts' site runs off of the same server as Gottadeal.com so it may experience some hiccups here and there since the BF move.

If you're still having issues with the charts' site please let me know :)

Alrighty, then! :)

'Half Price Books', our first ad with items for the charts, is up and we're working diligently to get the next ad, 'Dell Home', ready for launch.

Also, I have a few questions for y'all. Do you like taking quick looks at previous BF items to compare how deals have changed over the years? You do? Well, how about any fans of accessing the charts from your mobile device in an easy, streamlined fashion? You are?

... Good thing, because otherwise my surprises I have planned this year would be worthless :P Stay tuned!

• Like 2

Updates for the most recent ads (Mostly the two from Dell Home and Business) are coming forth by the end of the week. The double whammy of Dell sort of took us by surprise but we're on it.

Surprise update #1 to the charts site at blackfridaycharts.com is under way. You now have the ability to not only select what chart you want to see, but also the year! Give it a try and compare what was available from previous Black Fridays. Thus far you're only able to go back to 2010, but I'm working on getting the charts from 2005-2009 available. They were done a lil' differently so they need some conversion technical mumbo-jumbo.

You might notice when viewing the Video Games charts I've also changed the way the systems each game is available for are listed. Now, instead of just a bunch of 'Yes/No' answers to every system, which took up a lot of space, the system(s) the games are for are now listed under a single column called 'Systems' to make it easier to read.

You're welcome. :)

• Like 1

Main site has been updated with surprise #2 for this year... The Back Friday Product Charts: Mobile Site!

Having trouble with viewing the main site on your portable device? Want to see what the latest deal is while in line for that doorbuster? Just go to www.blackfridaycharts.com on your iPad, tablet, Kindle, iPhone, smartphone, or just about any internet-capable mobile device to be re-directed to the mobile-friendly version.

Just please try to be gentle with it as the duct tape is still holding everything together while the glue is drying :)

• Like 1

The charts have been updated as of 11/14 to include the most recent explosion of major retailer ads, including Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us, and much more!

Also fixed a few trinkets here and there to ensure everyone has a pleasant chart experience this year. And I finally managed to load all of the previous charts from years past. And I mean ALL of them going all the way back to the very first Desktop chart from 2005! Enjoy the nostalgia :)

I noticed that when you type in Call of Duty: Black Ops III it shows up for Walmart 4 times all the same system of PS3 for $8?

First, it should probably be Black Ops, not Black Ops III (full listing here).  It looks to be available for both PS3 & XBox360.

Second, the Black Ops III is $29 for PS3/XBox360.

Third, there are various other Call of Duty games for the $8 for both systems.

The chief can help sort this out on the charts when he gets the chance; probably just tweaking a few items in the database.

First, it should probably be Black Ops, not Black Ops III (full listing here).  It looks to be available for both PS3 & XBox360.

Second, the Black Ops III is $29 for PS3/XBox360.

Third, there are various other Call of Duty games for the $8 for both systems.

The chief can help sort this out on the charts when he gets the chance; probably just tweaking a few items in the database.

Looks like Black Ops II and III were reversed, and a few II's for $8 were duplicated. Got it fixed now :)

Will be working on fixing some of the specs on the HDTVs tonite.

• 2 weeks later...

After all the updates this week, the final update has landed and we have crossed the finish line for the 2015 charts!

Thank you to all the folks who volunteered their precious time this year, and a special thanks to everyone who uses these charts and makes them a huge hit this time every year! :)

Everyone have a thankful and happy Thanksgiving, and have a safe and productive Black Friday/Thursday/Cyber Monday shopping experience!

After all the updates this week, the final update has landed and we have crossed the finish line for the 2015 charts!

Thank you to all the folks who volunteered their precious time this year, and a special thanks to everyone who uses these charts and makes them a huge hit this time every year! :)

Everyone have a thankful and happy Thanksgiving, and have a safe and productive Black Friday/Thursday/Cyber Monday shopping experience!

Thank you for all your hard work on the charts!  I get a lot of use out of them every year (and all year if I'm considering a big purchase :)).

You've all been reading through what I have to say in the charts all this past month. And now comes the part where I get to sit back with my new glasses and read what you have to say!

I've got some HUGE plans in store for upgrading the Product Charts v3.0 next year, with us crossing their tenth anniversary and all. So tell me... what did you think about the Black Friday Product Charts this year? What did you like? What didn't you like? Any comments? Concerns? Emotional outbursts? Smart one-liners?

Drop it in the suggestion box right here! :)

I used them often, one thing I would like is if they covered all sorts of things not just the electronics and such. I found myself wishing they had clothes when we were looking for some The North Face items. :)

Thank all of you who pitch in on these charts you all did a great job and thank you stationchief for all the hard work you've put into them.

I definitely use them, too!  If not for myself, but often to answer questions asked by others in the forum.

I didn't really get to use the mobile site because all the things I needed were bought online and I only went to stores to pick up "random things" after popular hours.  I'll try to think of some ideas for improvement.

• Like 1