Best and Worst Black Friday Memories

Kanyon71

We have a thread on the secret sales so figured I would ask you all about your best and worst memories from BF year's past.

I think some of my best memories are the more simple things, going out in the middle of the night shopping with my wife and our family, then we ALWAYS go out to cracker barrel and have breakfast around 7am before heading back for rounds 2 and 3 of shopping. Taking that load home and resting for a few then heading back out for a second pass through of some of the places like Walmart, Target and Toys R Us. ALWAYS end up finding some of the door busters deals hidden away in some spot that some person forgot about. Take them up to the register and at least at Walmart 9 out of 10 times get them for the reduced price. Lots of fun.

One of my worst memories was one year we had gone back to Best Buy after eating breakfast for their 9am sale to start. My mother in-law wanted some TomTom GPS's for presents. So my brother in-law and I headed into Best Buy while her and my wife went to another store. SO my b-i-l and I get in line and are waiting for the magic time to roll around we are talking to a lady right by us and she is WAY pregnant. Really nice lady was telling us she is there just for this for her husband for Christmas. The BB employee comes over and is just getting ready to start giving them out when some jerk guy comes bowling through the crowd and darn near knocks the pregnant lady over by slamming into her. Now I'm by nature a protective person and not exactly small or frail, my b-i-l is the same way. Just as this guy goes to push through I turn and tell him he had better back off before he finds himself in a world of hurt, he goes to open his mouth looks at me looks at my b-i-l, looks at a couple other guys who just started to join us and wisely decides to leave not just the area but the store. We made sure the lady was ok made sure she got what she was there for. Funny thing about it all was they had a decent amount of them I think most everyone that was in line with us got at least one as this person most likely would have had he not tried to be a moron. Got to love people :) Rest of the day was good as was all the time leading up to that also.

• Like 1

I agree that the simple things have the best memories like going out with my best friend at 3am and then going to IHOP for breakfast at 7am after finishing our first run of shopping.  We then would hit Walmart to see what Doorbusters were left and then any place else we had missed and go home to hide the goodies.

My best memory was the great deal I got on a laptop for my daughter (and seeing her face when she opened it). The worst was going to Walmart with my family. I do my best to avoid WM on BF, but family nagged me into to. Six people with lists, 3 hours wasted, and the only thing bought by anyone was a sheet set that had to be returned anyway because the box cutter sliced into it. I haven't seen anything so out of control ever, and I used to hit all the stores on BF before. This was another level. 

Yup .. getting up after a few hour nap and then heading out around 3 am with family/friends and standing in line was always a good time. Plenty of laughs every year.... Miss those times.

Last year was the worst for me as there were a couple major items I wanted at Walmart but I was not about to interrupt my Thanksgiving dinner or kick my guests out to go stand in line so I tried ordering them on line. I stayed up Wed night into Thanksgiving morning waiting for these items to become available to order. I was able to order one pretty early one but my sons gift didn’t become available to way later/early morning. I was finally able to order it only for them to cancel my order at 10 am on Thanksgiving morning. Thankfully I was able to reorder it that afternoon and got it. It was very frustrating and exhausting. Don’t think I will attempt that again.

Worst memory was going to a local store for a crystal nutcracker (my ex dh's favorite collectible) and having a 12 year old drive her mom's car into my parked car. Yeah she was supposed to be staying warm in the car but decided to go for a joy ride. Favorite memory was of my first BF with the ex. We hit several stores, got items we wanted, had breakfast, then napped the rest of the day away.

Best memories are the times spent with my parents, DDs and DSs standing in line talking and  shopping for those special deals. I loved it when stores were closed on Thanksgiving and family time was more important. 

Worst memory: Getting caught in a cold downpour as Kohls was getting ready to open. I was soaked!! (I never remember the umbrella)

My best memories are the years where I went to sleep around 7-7:30 Thanksgiving night to wake up in the wee hours of the morning :) I would meet up with my friend; TRU was usually my 1st stop back then. Ince I left there, I would hit Walmart, Target, and end at the mall.

Luckily I don't have any horror stories outside of the normal line jumpers, fights over towels, etc...

I miss the early morning sales. There was something so exciting about getting up at 4 to be there at 5.

Last year I waited in line at WM for an hour to get to the movie/video game area (our store sections them off by the milk) only to find by the time I got in there that only 1 of the 10 movies or games I wanted was there. It just started my night off all wrong!

I am like some of the others.  My favorite memories are when the sales started around 5:00 AM on FRIDAY morning.  My friend and I would get to Walmart around 3:00.  We would talk and have a good time.  Then, we would leave our small town and head close to Atlanta and shop all day long. 

I think the worst memory is three years ago.  I took my husband with me (who is not a big shopper) and who hates crowds.  :)  I love my husband very much but he is not a fun BF partner.  It was so boring.  The only reason he went is because I didn't have anyone to go with me and he wanted to go to guitar center for their sale. 

I really wish they would go back to the early morning times on Friday! 

My best memory of BF was also when it was actually on Fridays!!!  I miss those days. My very first one in 2004 is by far the most memorable. I was 7 months pregnant with my son and about 10th in line for an Xbox at Best Buy with a friend.  It wasn't my purchase, but I felt damn excited that she got it.  It was the first and last time I have ever been to a Best Buy on BF. We headed to Walmart after that, but it was a nightmare and we left.  We then headed to Target where NO ONE was shopping at. That was the year that I knew I would be hooked on BF. Can't believe how much has changed in just 11 years. 

The worst was the year I had to go by myself.  It's never the same when you don't have a partner in crime. ;)

My best memory of BF was also when it was actually on Fridays!!!  I miss those days. My very first one in 2004 is by far the most memorable. I was 7 months pregnant with my son and about 10th in line for an Xbox at Best Buy with a friend.  It wasn't my purchase, but I felt damn excited that she got it.  It was the first and last time I have ever been to a Best Buy on BF. We headed to Walmart after that, but it was a nightmare and we left.  We then headed to Target where NO ONE was shopping at. That was the year that I knew I would be hooked on BF. Can't believe how much has changed in just 11 years. 

The worst was the year I had to go by myself.  It's never the same when you don't have a partner in crime. ;)

My first intentional attempt at Best Buy was in 2004 also. Do you remember the tin music giveaway from that year? In 2003, I got away with waltzing into Best Buy just to see the madness after the doors were long open, and came out with a 50 inch Projection TV which was their ticketed item that year.

My favorite memory of BF is when we were able to shop in our local city and the crowd wasn't bad. My first BF, I only had about $200 bc I was a newly wed and we were broke but j was able to get soooo much stuff and have been hooked ever since. My worst memory was when I was in line to get into Macy's. Me and my MiL were talking to the 2 ladies in front of us and they seemed so sweet. One lady had crutches bc she had hurt her leg and as soon as the doors opened up she threw her crutches up to keep people from running past her and her mom and hit me in the stomach in doing so. I quickly pushed it back at her and was just in disbelief how quickly her niceness turned to bring so mean. I certainly wasn't gonna skip them but she got "serious" right quick like. LOL! Oh and 1 year I was an hour or so away from home and got sick with a virus while shopping. Stopping to go to the bathroom bc I had it coming out at both ends was horrible but I some how pushed thru and got a lot of shopping done. Needless to say, I was in the bed sick as a dog for the next 3 days afterwards.

My favorite memory of BF is when we were able to shop in our local city and the crowd wasn't bad. My first BF, I only had about $200 bc I was a newly wed and we were broke but j was able to get soooo much stuff and have been hooked ever since. My worst memory was when I was in line to get into Macy's. Me and my MiL were talking to the 2 ladies in front of us and they seemed so sweet. One lady had crutches bc she had hurt her leg and as soon as the doors opened up she threw her crutches up to keep people from running past her and her mom and hit me in the stomach in doing so. I quickly pushed it back at her and was just in disbelief how quickly her niceness turned to bring so mean. I certainly wasn't gonna skip them but she got "serious" right quick like. LOL! Oh and 1 year I was an hour or so away from home and got sick with a virus while shopping. Stopping to go to the bathroom bc I had it coming out at both ends was horrible but I some how pushed thru and got a lot of shopping done. Needless to say, I was in the bed sick as a dog for the next 3 days afterwards.

Ya the deals always make it fun and are what usually hook people. Now we usually have very specific things we want but we still go all out for the tradition and the fun of it all more than the pure money savings aspect.  With us both having families in different states we end up doing a lot more online through like Amazon so that we don't have to worry about a ton of shipping but we would never miss the fun of going out and shopping.

Ya people seem to take this stuff WAY too seriously, luckily I am not a small person and I don't always look very pleasant when people start to get on my nerves so the majority of the people around usually don't try stuff with me or those with me lol.

One year my wife had a HORRIBLE headache and we thought we were going to miss out but I told her let's go back home (we had been in line from about 1AM waiting for Best buy to open) and she thought I would be bummed. I told her that her feeling better was more important than a deal on a TV. So we went home and she went to sleep, woke up about 5AM and her headache was gone. So she wanted to head back out. Got to Best Buy, got in and still ended up getting what we wanted so it was a double win.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Best, probably my first year going. I cant tell you what year it was or what we go but we hit the most stores we've ever gone to. Left at like 2 in the morning, freezing cold (took turns getting warm and standing in line since it was just my mom and I), Christmas music blaring on the radio in the pitch black of night on still full bellies from the day before.

My worst,  2009 maybe? (or 2008 or 2010 lol). I was just finishing up cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I got the stomach bug. I was too dehydrated to go out the next morning but we did hit Walmart that late afternoon when I was finally feeling better.

My best memory was from 2 years ago. Met up with with most of my family. My nieces husbands even joined in on the fun. We planned it all out over Thanksgiving dinner then hit the stores. Fun running into family.

Worst is always Wal-Mart.

Best: when you didn't have to stand in a line outside in the cold waiting to get inside only to have to stand in another extremely long line to wait on an item that you had to come early & get a ticket for...yeah i'm talking about Walmart!!!! They have the WORST lines ever!!!! Target is soo much better @ crowd control & moving their lines...and yet i still love going to Walmart during BF...lol

Worst: i can't say i've had any really bad experience...i enjoy the actual experience & the rush of it all...trying my best to get all the deals i want & some i didn't plan on and even if i don't get everything i want after the (now) 3 day shopping experience is over i can't wait to do it again the next year...

• Like 2

Best: when you didn't have to stand in a line outside in the cold waiting to get inside only to have to stand in another extremely long line to wait on an item that you had to come early & get a ticket for...yeah i'm talking about Walmart!!!! They have the WORST lines ever!!!! Target is soo much better @ crowd control & moving their lines...and yet i still love going to Walmart during BF...lol

Worst: i can't say i've had any really bad experience...i enjoy the actual experience & the rush of it all...trying my best to get all the deals i want & some i didn't plan on and even if i don't get everything i want after the (now) 3 day shopping experience is over i can't wait to do it again the next year...

We are all a glutton for BF punishment :)

• Like 1

My worst memory is from last year. People were dropping like flies. A 14 year old girl collapsed in Bath and Body Works. Then not 30 minutes later at Target another teenage girl was throwing up everywhere but wouldn't leave her place in line. Shewww!! [emoji40]

Ugh! This does sound horrible! I can't stand watching people vomit. Hopefully this year is better!

Best memory was a couple of years ago when my now 16 DS decided to come out with me. He wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Needless to say, he hasn't wanted to come back. [emoji20]

I can't say I've had any bad memories. Just that BF was much more crowed years ago when stores wouldn't open in 5am. Now when I go at that time, there are no lines and it's less crowded than a regular Saturday. I do like a little crowd to add to the excitement.

Best memory was a couple of years ago when my now 16 DS decided to come out with me. He wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Needless to say, he hasn't wanted to come back. [emoji20]

Both of my boys went with me exactly once. LOL. Both said "Never again!". But now I have a daughter in law! And she goes with us (me and my sister) every year. :clapping:

• Like 1

I can't say I've had any bad memories. Just that BF was much more crowed years ago when stores wouldn't open in 5am. Now when I go at that time, there are no lines and it's less crowded than a regular Saturday. I do like a little crowd to add to the excitement.

Last year the same with my DD 11.... I needed her help with some Angel Tree gifts that I wanted to get and all of my usual BF partners were out of town. We don't have small ones anymore, but I do remember the mad house to get the pjs and matching slippers!  Once she got there, she was completely overwhelmed..lol.  I had her stationed in the bra isle with a cart and told her not to move that I would come to her! Extremely helpful to me and she actually was ok when the crowds dispersed after the initial frenzy. 

I think this BF will be bitter sweet as I sit back and reflect especially when I take a trip to Kohl's. Last BF I ran into my neighbor and her sisters as I was shopping for cologne for the husband. Little did I know how very ill my neighbor was. She passed away right after the new year. I wish I had spent more time to stop and chat with her but you know how crazy BF is. I'm sure I will think back to that BF for many years to come.

Worst memory :  BF circa 2001 Shopping with my mom on BF... (she is a "browser" UGH! NOT the day lady, not the day). : 2006 ~ the year I took a 'friend' 14 hours in line at best buy for a lap top, freezing rain and her complaining the whole time. then when she didn't get the ticketed item she was waiting for......OMG you woulda thought the world ended. Thanks to the wonderful people in line ahead of us, i was slightly loaded by that time...  Hey, I wasn't driving~ and omg her complaining, the weather, the people, the crowds, the items offered, i think even the cement was the wrong color for her that day! I figured out right quick what kind of a person she was and we are no longer friends.

Best memory: Honestly i think it was last year!!! although I loathe the Thanksgiving opening  the late night opening was cool to be able to bring my two older kids with me and the hubby. DD14 was able to shop the mall and get CRAZY deals with grandmas christmas money... which made her super happy (100 pairs of earrings for 8$) and DS13 was able to get this disney infinity thingy at walmart! They saw the madhouse that is walmart.... realised what I have done for 15 years to give them a spectacular christmas. It kind of changed their perspective of things. 

Going to be the best memory... Taking all 3 older kids with DH and I this year! It has become a rite of passage now when you turn 13 you are old enough to go black friday shopping!  And this one has a job, and has been saving since spring, and is a super couponer and gets even more excited about things when you tell him how much of a deal you got and your savings! BRING ON THE DEALS! 

• Like 1

Best is probably years ago when i went with my mom and grandma to kbtoys opening for batman figures for my cousins. We were terrified by some loon in the parking lot upset we'd taken they're space since you know they were CLEARLY indicating from another LANE:) aside from the brief terror of fearing this person would get out of their car and Beat us we had fun in the crazyness of kb and then peacefully got my pc at radio shack.

Worst year, possibly last year. Lately I've been starting at Walmart on thanksgiving and they are beyond disorganized. I plan at least a month out for our family and mgmt seems to fly by the seat of their pants. They hand out NEW maps because the ones online had changes made then don't notify employees and wind up following portions of each. You either had to run into what you wanted or wait til you spotted something in someone else's possession and ask where it came from. At least the year before i was able to get disney movies on sale ahead of time because they had apparently opened a stack and mixed on electronics rack...