Are you already shopping or do you wait?

Elmck

In the past, I've always shopped clearance and put things away for Christmas.  But I end up buying so much on BF and the sales leading up to Christmas that I go completely overboard!   So this year, I'm being good.  I told my son to write down his top three items...he acutally only has two! 

• Like 1

I'm about half done. I just have my sons to buy for and I'm just stumped as to what to get them. They both just started college so they're covered,for technology and clothes. It may be gift cards for food & such.

My oldest works and the youngest is in college...in this same boat...  The youngest wants a Surface but has a good laptop so not worried about tech unless a good deal hits.

I use a budgeting software called YNAB and I have a "Christmas" category that I use year round to save a little bit each month. My mom told me she has already finished all her christmas shopping..I haven't even started! I'm awful at buying gifts I never know what to buy people. I know my boyfriend would be happy with PSN giftcards but that seems so lame. 

I have been picking up small items throughout the year.  My goal every year is to be done by BF, but my main hurdle is whether or not I can come up with good ideas.  The shopping list is really coming along so I am looking forward to those ads :)

I use a budgeting software called YNAB and I have a "Christmas" category that I use year round to save a little bit each month. My mom told me she has already finished all her christmas shopping..I haven't even started! I'm awful at buying gifts I never know what to buy people. I know my boyfriend would be happy with PSN giftcards but that seems so lame. 

Ha Ha!  That's all my husband asks for as well, PSN giftcards!!! 

Edited by Dylansmommy

I started in March this year-the earliest I've ever done so. Bought my daughter a $199 fur vest for $29. Since then, I've been buying things here and there as I can afford it. Her birthday is December 5 and I hate for her to be shorted like I always was, with a December 31 birthday. Edited by cwashi3324

I do my best with clearance deals throughout the year. I'm always searching for deals,there's no such thing as a quick shopping trip when I'm involved because i scour everything JUST IN CASE :)

I second this. I have an idea what deals will look like on BF. If I see something comparable before then that's a good gift, I buy it.

I'm just about finished.  I started shopping and stashing away the day after Christmas.  I need to do an inventory soon to see what I have and what I still need to get.  I know I need to get my brother something but other than him and my family Secret Santa, I think I'm in good shape.  I need to start doing some research on specs for the new tv I hope to grab this BF.

There is a site my mom got me on, alieexpress. Everything gets shipped from China and takes FOREVER. I ordered a bunch of Christmas gifts from there so I can be sure it gets here in time. That is all I have done so far though. One thing I did this year was I saved so much a month in my budgeting software (I use YNAB-You Need A Budget) so that now I have plenty of money saved for all the Christmas Gifts I need to purchase. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I find a good buy on something that is on my watch list :eyepoppin  then I grab it...last night I bought shopkins season 3- 5 pk buy 1 get 1 and a big joe bean bag chair for 9 dollars...I bought a couple of Breyer horses when they had a good sale on Breyer sight :gd_orange  :gd_not_ri

I buy all year long but have 5 grandaughters and they are almost done. I buy mostly usa made stuff. I boycoat overseas stuff as I am a vendor and sell homemade items myself. I have a christmas club I put 25.00 a week in and its paid . But I haven't cashed the check and won't until black friday. It's for my own 3 kids big items and things I want. I have bought my 5 grandaughters all cowboy boots and bought them early summer when sierra trading post had 80% off sale. Got all 5 pair for under 70.00. THen I got the middle one that I keep every day tmnt bedding for under 5.00 with kmart surprise points. took more surprise points the next day and bought a fleecy blanket for someone and put it in my stash. I have numerous items in there I don't know who they are for yet. I make all the kids hats. That's what I sell. My daughter is getting a handpainted barn quilt for her new house. Its huge and local made also. My husband just retired from a union and we buy as much local made as possible. my teenage son i don't know what to buy yet. I buy all online on thanksgiving and the week before on amazon so buy black friday Im just enjoying myself. 

I've found several things this week...Kohls was great...bought self 2 shirts one for 1.40 and the other 2.40...  then a pair of jeans for my daughter for 6.40, two shirts for my son for under 5.00...Then I just bought a black hoodie for a little girl for 7.00 shipping froms Hanes.com and all  yippee

I try to pick things up before Black Friday if I find a good deal. I have relatives in other states so I try to shop early for shipping and early on any item that seems to be a "HOT" item before it sells out. I always wonder if it will be even lower on Black Friday though.

shopping? I already have stuff wrapped!!! and out! but before you think i am crazy, my youngest just learned of the "santa secret" after christmas and has lost her christmas spirit. So we are trying to bring it back. The joy of giving, the excitement and anticipation of giving a gift to someone you love... etc. It is working, she is so excited to see her siblings open their gifts and knowing what they are, and that they will love them.... she can hardly wait again! 

• Like 1

The last two years, I finished my shopping on BF. I had about 50% or more completed by then and finished up except for some smaller items here and there.

This year, if I don't get moving, I'm going to be way behind my schedule. I have purchased exactly 2 items! I'm just lost as to what to buy too many people on my list though.

I actually just started today! I picked up Destiny for PS4 ($15) and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse for Wii U ($33) at Walmart, thought they were decent prices on two of the must-have games on my kids' lists. I'm planning on hitting the Sams Club sale next Saturday for the PS4 and iTunes cards, and then I'll wait for BF for the rest.

I have only purchases a few gifts so far. Just purchased online from LIDS today as a result of the GD email I received that stated they were having a FLASH sale for only a few hours today. I was looking for Washington Redskins stuff and decided to check it out. Glad I did. The savings was 40% of my total purchase and FREE shipping. Thank you GOTTA DEAL for the heads up. 

Last night, I took my hubs to look for Christmas ideas for our two youngest. We picked up a few things.

Then we went to Boscov's and I found a sweater I loved. I couldn't find it, so I asked an associate.

When I found it, I also found several more I loved... ended up buying 5 sweaters - one for a present, one for me now and three for me for Christmas from my hubby. LOL

They were gorgeous and a great deal, so I had to scoop them up.

Today

Best Buy

Got a Mystery Reward from BB Rewards for $5.

Elf (Blu Ray)  15.99

Sale          -  8.00

Certificate -  5.00

Total = $3.15  (after tax)              81% off

Toys R Us

TMNT 16" Bike                                            89.99    (Sale 72.99)

Blaze & Monster Machine Dome Playset    29.99    (Sale 24.99; PM to Amazon 19.83)

Monster Machine Trucks  x4                        6.99 each

Opened TRU Credit Card to save 15%, 10% off Saturdays w/.Rewards CC, $15 off coupon.

Total = $ 81.66   (after tax)          48% off

Kohl's

Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers T-Shirt      $32.00  (Sale 25.60)

$10 off $25                                            -  $10.00

Total = $ 16.46   (after tax)          51% off

Kohl's

Green Bay Packers Winter Hat                 $22.00  (Sale 17.60)

Various Clearance clothes for DD & DS    80% - 90% off

$10 off $25 coupon                              - $10.00

Total = $20.26     (after tax)        79% off

Shopko

Packers Sweatshirt                 $59.99      (Sale $44.99)

Clearance Halloween Candy  $  5.98      (Orig 23.98)

$10 off $50                     -  $10.00

Total = $43.22    (after tax)       51% off